iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it was popular...even I remember it from Jamaica I'd say 90's...

2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

And in Germany during the mid '00's - though it was odd seeing Tim Allen speaking German.

3. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

<For context, responding to an inquiry related to trying out the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4>

My issue with Samsung tablets after having a few, including the S3, is that they are lax on providing the number of updates to the OS that Apple does. That, and the lag that always seems to show up on Android tablets.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Welcome to the fruit salad side. Best digital substitute yet for a paper legal pad.

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Do how does this experiment going? @dstrauss

Curious minds wanna knows? :)

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

The best digital paper substitute I've found to date imho is the Sony or Boox eink. If all you do whole day at work is read and annotate pdf/word documents, they are perfect.

Alas us snobs (me hehe) wants our Netflix and Spotify on our devices too so that's a no go. We are spoilt lol

Bishop and desertlap like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry - tied up most of yesterday and today - in a day or two will have more updates.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Our senior tech writer has the 10 inch sony that he uses as final proofing tool before our official manuals and notices are published to the world. It is unparalleled if you have extensive reading to do but of course it's a one trick pony

That's why I have some hope for the new e-ink dual screen yoga. The e-ink screen is only useful (and even then in a limited way) for PDFs right now but broader support is supposed to be coming

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    WillAdams and djas like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A few quick observations:
    • Like the SG, this is a great form, and the screen being bigger does help
    • Screen quality is better and sharper
    • LTE seems faster than on the SG, but that is observed not speed checked speed - this raises a critical point for me - I have all but given up on benchmarks and speed tests anymore - if it feels and responds quickly for me that is all I care
    • The keyboard is not near as good as the SG type cover, but serviceable.
    • Really miss the trackpad and mouse - especially for highlighting text - you are forced to use Shift-Arrow Key to do anything
    • Speed - it feels like I’m in warp drive compared to the SG’s impulse engine
    • The Pencil
      • Drawing is smoother and inking is more precise
      • In hand feel is a toss up (so that’s better than the slippery Model 1) but tapping on the barrel is no where near as accurate and precise as pushing a button
      • Still needs top end eraser - especially now that there is no removable cap up there
      • Fell that artists will love the Number 2 Pencil compared to the Surface Pen
      • I think the performance is at least 85% of the way to Wacom EMR - I’d give the Surface Pen 60% of Wacom EMR
    • Battery life is night and day - easily 10 hours on the iPP11, 5-6 at best on SG
    • FileBrowser is a good alternative to the native File app, but neither is a true file system and suck compared to File Explorer
    Now to the “Use Case” problem:

The SG is clearly a full Windows 10 experience which works pretty well when docked, but it’s not my cup of tea for full time use between the cramped screen when mobile and the lag and sluggishness of the system overall.

The iPP11 is a powerhouse when in its own environment; Office apps on iOS “feel” better than the UWP counterparts in WIndows 10, and are catching up feature-wise to Office 365 desktop applications. Still, it is clearly an accessory to a full laptop (Windows 10 or heaven forbid MacOS).

So there lies my use case conundrum. I am still, at core, a one device everywhere nut, so if I go back to my GB12 full time there’s really no need for the iPP11 (sorry Texture and Kindle, you may be on the chopping block). If I stick with SB2 for my desktop (no doubt of its power cred) then the iPP11 would be a good and handy accessory to it.

HP Spectre Folio moment - one more note - the rear cover of the iPP11 keyboard bends in the middle to let you move the bottom of the screen to its upright position; you can move from there forward for a slightly raised writing surface (the bottom row of keys still exposed but deactivated below your wrist) for a quick move from typing to writing and back to typing. So it achieves 30-40% of the Spectre Folio experience, sans leather (which I’m sure the vegans at Apple headquarters would riot about).

Bishop and WillAdams like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Agree with you on these points. BUT - I've modified my use case so much so that I didn't even buy the type cover. I swear Apple modified the tip of Pencil 2 ever so slightly to create some friction.

As to vegans rioting... BWAHAHAHAHA