iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Thanks, @Bishop, I’ve been wavering on this kind of screen covering and you pushed me over the edge. I just ordered a Paperlike knock-off (1/4 of the price) for my iPad mini 5 that has over 4 stars and a thousand reviews on Amazon. My current matte glass protector is cracked and crumbling around the Home button and selfie hole.

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Glad to take one for the team. :D

It's also muffled the clickety clack to something more like the Surface Pen.

Let me know how yours goes @dellaster. *IF* M$ doesn't ship NEO and *IF* Apple ships iPad Mini Pro/Air, I may be in the market. Might even buy two and find someone to fabricate a cradle to hinge them together....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Chris_Kez and dellaster like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How much does it diminish screen quality - I tried the real Paperlike (OVERPRICED) protectors, and although I really liked the pen experience, it just dulls the screen way too much for my taste.

siddhartth likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought the iPad Pro 11 2018 as soon as it launched in India. I could only afford the cheapest 64 GB 4GB RAM model, after years of waiting and waiting for an EMR device just as cool from Samsung, I had no option. I had convinced myself that slipperiness of Apple Pencil 2 won’t be a major issue just like I had convinced myself in 2016 that high initial activation force and lack of performance of coreM3 4GB Surface Pro 4 won’t be an issue, just because it was the coolest device of that time.

But slipperiness did become an issue after all, one which couldn’t be satisfactorily mitigated by ugly matte screen protectors which only work for first 7 days at best. What Samsung has achieved on even a basic phablet like Note 10 lite (my daily driver) when it comes to nib control and friction on a glossy display is simply unparalleled. My iPad Pro 11 is just a glorified coloured pdf-reader now for my textbooks. All my handwriting wether it’s occasional poetry, meeting notes, ward rounds notes, shopping list, random phone number or email contact, everything happens on my Note 10 lite, it isn’t 120 Hz but it handwrites better than my any other machine.

I would recommend you to try Samsung TabS 7+ if your iPad Pro is still eligible to be returned, specially if your use case is handwriting. But if you have happily made peace with its flaws, I wish you many by productive years ahead. As they say your mileage may very.

I will retire or give away all my existing pen tech once a penabled Galaxy fold is released that doesn’t look as ugly as the current model. I hate that they have a selfie camera even on the tablet side of the fold. What kind of narcissist customer demographic Samsung is targeting here is simply beyond me. All I know is, it will be my most used pen tablet. Not falling for an iPad mini or a Surface go either.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I'm only running about 40% brightness, and I barely notice it. It may slightly diminish some of the outer visibility angles. No problem reading text. Youtube is fine. I haven't tried it outside in sunlight.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Words of wisdom have never been more accurate!

Bronsky likes this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...Apple releases iPads with MacOS onto the iPad.

I then WANT every reviewer to apply the same comments that they apply to Windows being on the Surface Pro. They probably won't.

siddhartth and dstrauss like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

At least that is the dream. We'll know soon.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I was excited to see Apple increase the pixel density on the MBP from ~220 to ~250 and significantly increase brightness. I’m hoping we’ll see the iPad Pro 11 get similar treatment next year. A bump to ~300 PPI and 1000 nits would be most welcome.

As nice as the screen is on my 2018 model, I am completely spoiled by the iPhone screen— first the 12 Pro Max and now the 13 Pro. I’m taking more photos in RAW, and shooting more HDR video and the iPP screen just doesn’t pop in comparison; spoiled, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

desertlap and Bishop like this.