iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Whatever ends up happening, I'm very curious if they'll ever allow multiple logins on a single iPad. Gut feeling says 'no'. Selling iPads as a single-user device is too profitable.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From what we've heard , albeit from multiple sources varying in reliability....

Apple is going to move in to this very gradually, possibly starting with iPadOS 15

Limited ability to run some ARM native Mac apps primarily those using apple's cross platform software frameworks like metal, etc.

No Rosetta Support: So no x86 based mac apps

UI will still be IOS based, which means no mac specific things like finder or terminal

Must allow basic touch support via the cross platform software framework

Might not let 3rd party apps be installed except those through the Mac/IOS app store

Mouse/trackpad support will conform to the IOS style not MacOS

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, that's not exactly stimulating and earth-shattering, but I guess crow is something to be eaten in small bites very slowly ("toaster and refrigerator"). Actually, if this is true, it feels like they are bolting an outboard motor to a mixer to make pies and cakes...

Hopefully the Apple community will be as surprised by the depth and breadth of the MacOS App support as they were by the iPad Pro 2021 debuting with M1 and up to 16gb/2tb, instead of the A14x...didn't see anyone in the rumor mill industry predicting that one...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. desertlap

So The Verge is onboard with Apple just getting on with it and putting MacOS on the new iPad Pros.

I think it will happen eventually though more likely in some future devices, not this gen...

Put macOS on the iPad, you cowards - The Verge

PS: We did get to see the new purple iphone 12. Very pretty and IMHO a bit more striking than the violet option on Samsung's s21series

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  5. dstrauss

I agree with The Verge...

APPLE! Come back you cowards and put MacOS on this thing!

6. desertlap

JoeS and darkmagistric like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd imagine the real reason why they won't for now is they don't want to cannibalize the sales of either.

Right now, Apple would prefer if everyone just bought both an iPad along with a Macbook. The experience is certainly tailor suited for that, between the things shared via Apple ID (like wireless network passwords) as well as the utility of SideCar, the iPad Pros are the perfect supplement device to a Mac. Since getting my M1 Mac Air, I use my iPad Pro 12.9 much more then I used to, but primarily for Sidecar. If Apple did allow MacOSX to run on an iPad, I wouldn't have much of a need for the Macbook, if anything I would rather just buy a 2nd iPad (so long as Sidecar would still work)

While I am the ideal type of consumer for this purpose, most people aren't. I know alot of people who have either a Macbook or an iPad, just as many as I know people who have both. If a iPad could run MacOSx, that would decrease Mac sales, and if a Macbook could fully run iPad OS or had pen/touch, that would decrease iPad sales.

As much as they should do this, there's more money in not doing that. If iPad or Macbook sales ever start to progressive diminish, then likely they will start to move in that direction.

8. desertlap

So I heard an interesting theory yesterday. What if every one has gotten it wrong about merging IOS and Mac OS and the idea that the new pro could run Mac OS?

What If instead, this is the first salvo in what will make IOS (and it's derivatives) the OS of Apple's future and that MacOS is on it's way out?

In other words, a few years from now they announce "AppleOS" and guess what, it's already compatible and will run on that MacBook Air or iMac you bought a couple of years back. And by the way any app you buy, you can run on any of your devices?

And most importantly, unlike Mac OS, IOS is the true OS that Apple owns and controls top to bottom.

I'm not fully on board with this theory yet, but it is very intriguing.

9. dstrauss

So long as it doesn't completely neuter the desktop experience.

I still they ought to just let us dual boot with a “Buyer Beware” for those of us crazy enough to venture there.

10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Despite never having done so with ANY device I ever owned, I gave in to curiosity and bought a Paperlike screen "protector" clone off Amazon for my iPad Pro 11 OG.

It's grown on me. The inking experience is now more like the reMarkable 2.

One thing that helped is that the iOS OneNote app finally recognizes and displays handwritten page titles in the navigation list (it may have been this way for awhile, but I haven't be using ink in iOS for a long time).

I may have to revisit my iPad OneNote page templates....

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021