iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It will feel kind of dorky but works - I just couldn't get used to the weight and bulk - like carrying a second laptop. This is definitely where MS has Apple beat hands down with kickstand and type cover.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My daughter is going to try this today as well. Just looking at it on a table, it looks more than a bit goofy, but it is surprisingly stable feeling.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So does all the M1 iPad chatter go here, or do we need new 2021 iPad threads?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So does all the M1 iPad chatter go here...>>

Since Apple doesn't brand with explicit model numbers (iPP "late 2019" rather than iPP 2, iPP 3, etc.) I'd suggest that we simply continue the existing threads. We've done that with the Surface Laptop thread, and it seems to be working smoothly...

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

Agreed - especially since we are such an obnoxious side-bar to the general Tablet PC community...:p

6. JoeS

OK, fair enough..

2021 iPad Pro 11" transition post

Yesterday Apple announced the new 11" iPad Pro, featuring the shiny new M1 chip and Thunderbolt/USB4, as opposed to the A12z in the prior model with USB-C. Oddly Apple now also announces RAM, which will be 8GB or 16Gb, and storage options are 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB and 2TB. There's a 5G LTE option as well. The truedepth camera now apparently has a wider field of view. Word of warning: unlike the 2021 12.9" model, the 11" does NOT have miniLED backlighting and zone dimming.

7. dstrauss

And just to kick this off with a bang, a few musings following a general question of "What is the rest of the story?" after yesterdays surprise M1 in an iPad Pro announcement (BTW - NOBODY rumored that one, not even Kuo, Gurman, or Prosser):

I've been thinking hard about this overnight - and despite the pricing (even for the 11") it is VERY tempting. I think there were a number of shoes yet to fall that Apple could not disclose yesterday to make this a real laptop:
    • They'd have to "preview" what's coming at WWDC for iPadOS 15.
    • The "missing" new magic keyboard. To be a MacBook Surface Pro it needs more range of motion in that stand AND the USB-C on the keyboard has to carry data (maybe a more robust connector on the back for TB4 pass through?).
    • The "missing" Apple Pencil 3 - would that alleged color matching feature be key to creative work on the 12.9"?
    I'm sure that disclosing they went M1 (not A14x) and will come in 8gb/16gb configurations really tells the enthusiast community they are onboard with the full laptop paradigm. I'm also sure they do not want to tip their hand on iPadOS 15 yet - in fact, is it just going to "allow" MacOS native apps to run on the iPP, are they virtualizing MacOS in the M1 iPP, or is iPadOS going to fork (merge with MacOS) on M1 iPads from now on. I'm sure they've chosen, but this was not the time or place to get into those weeds.

The new Magic Keyboard may be a 2022 release at best, so no harm no foul there (will coincide with iPadOS 15 release anyway). The real key here is that Apple would look WORSE than idiots if this is not the MacBook Surface Pro with its M1 and gargantuan RAM loads. This thing has ALL of the specs of the entire M1 line, save for a fan. MacBook Air has proven that the fan is not essential, and I can't imagine anyone would consider the iPP running full on like the iMac or Mac Mini. But that leads to the ultimate question:

A fully loaded M1 iPP 11 (with Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2) is going to cost as much as a low end MBA or Mac Mini plus the iPad Air 4; in fact a refurb MBA is only $1399 with same specs; so is the convenience (and lust-worthy design) of that tiny tablet as an all in one device enough to trade TWO top notch devices for "the ONE"?

I am edging close to "Yes" as time passes.

PS - my ONLY disappointment was the refusal to put the front facing camera in landscape mode. Software is not ALWAYS the solution for poor hardware design decisions, but of course that would have sealed the deal that this is now a laptop first - guess that will come in 2022 along with a new TB4 docking solution on Magic Keyboard II.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Marty and JoeS like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...2021 iPad Pro 11" transition post...>>

...You just couldn't help yourself, could you...?

9. JoeS

I'm satisfying my need to start something that looks like a thread, while respecting your wishes :D

Steve S likes this.
  10. dstrauss

As a quick follow up on my earlier post - there is a lot of rumor mongering going on out there as to whether Apple will add a dual boot option to the iPad so you can boot MacOS - I just don't see that since it is reminiscent of Boot Camp and seems very inelegant from Apple's perspective. Regardless, how can Apple possibly justify M1 16gb and 2tb without support for at least native MacOS applications...

I sure hope I'm not the little boy that finds the huge pile of horse apples (see what I did there) and dives right in flinging pooh all directions, and when his older brother asks him if he is out of his mind, the boy replies "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"