iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

A spring loaded backend eraser to be exact! :fingerscrossedemoji:

dstrauss, Steve S and darkmagistric like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Rumor we have heard is that the new 12.9 iPad Pro and possibly the 11 as well will have redesigned magic keyboards that are almost a third lighter and thinner.

Though it's also possible even likely they will hold on the new keyboard for the 11 until the rumored truly redesigned 11 pro which now looks to be a 2022 device. And might also be able to run some ARM native Mac apps too. (no rosetta though)

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Couldn't agree more with your wish list - but unless Apple has really cracked down on the rumor mill, the 2021 iPad Mini is going to be lipstick (A14 processor) on a pig - same old design with giant bezels and a physical Touch ID button.

My other TWO wish list must haves - a thinner/lighter magic keyboard and native MacOS apps...so long as that thinness doesn't spawn another butterfly...

Word to Tim and company - enable data on the keyboard USB-C port!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...redesigned magic keyboards that are almost a third lighter and thinner...>>

God, one would hope so. The existing design is pretty terrible...

desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

FWIW my daughter has the version for the 12.9 and it makes a lot more sense with that model especially the paradigm of office/productivity when attached, and drawing/creative tablet that you can just lift off.

In other words the 11 inch version was more about keeping parity than genuine function. IMHO with my own 11, even though it doesn't have a trackpad, the keyboard folio makes much more sense.

dstrauss and Steve S like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...IMHO with my own 11, even though it doesn't have a trackpad, the keyboard folio makes much more sense...>>

As an 11" owner myself, I agree...

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This will probably be the clincher that seals Apple's victory in the tablet PC space. WOA has until then to morph into something consumer-ready, or it's going to be a decade of Windows marketshare freefall.

But Apple isn't going to rush it; their first priority is (rightly) to consolidate all of MacOS onto M1 by the end of 2022. Then we might see them branch iPadOS into full PC space.

That's Apple for you, slow, methodical, and only committing when they've got everything in place. And who can blame them when their competition is a bumbling giant that can't take two steps without tripping over itself? :p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Steve S, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

as an owner of the 12.9 Magic Keyboard, that is largely collecting dust, while thinner and lighter is welcomed, that won’t necessarily make it any more usable, at least for my purposes.

the biggest problem with the Magic Keyboard for Artists is that to draw on the iPad, you have to remove the iPad from the keyboard, and then you have an unprotected iPad, you can’t draw on a flat surface because of the camera bump, and there is no built in way to prop it up. What I was doing was removing the iPad from the keyboard and then moving it to another case, that took care of the camera bump problem as well as using a foldable cover to offer more drawing angles. It became a royal pain swapping back and forth, so that I just don’t bother with the magic keyboard anymore. I know there is a 3rd party case that can be used with the Magic Keyboard, that could at least remedy the camera bump problem, but it’s still a 2-case solution.

what they should do is engineer the Magic Keyboard to have a studio mode position so you can draw on it without having to remove it from the keyboard. That alone would solve my problem.

and enabling the Magic Keyboard to work in Portrait mode would also be much needed. Try using the iPad Pro to post content to Instagram and try writing hashtags on the Magic Keyboard. Because the Instagram app won’t rotate to portrait mode....what should be a perfect and simple use case of an iPad and Magic Keyboard becomes ungodly stupid.

Drawing Mode and Portrait Mode should well outweigh making it thinner and lighter.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

Voila! Courtesy of Creative Bloq

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

lol...have to admit, I never thought to position it like that, I guess as an added benefit it does technically leave keyboard shortcuts somewhat accessible if a bit inverted from the usual.

I'm gonna try that and get back to you.