iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OK, first of all @desertlap needs to start a tech blog, where all this is done right.

I was also going to respond to this one by saying "basically all the time, as long as it's daytime and I'm near a window or on the patio." I won't buy any device with less than 400nits, and like @darkmagistric I'll take any nit I can get my hands on!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    dstrauss, darkmagistric and desertlap like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

(Piling on) Pretty much the entire 5 months, daily, of my recent motorcycle camping tour for my iPad mini 5. And I wanted it brighter, like my iPhone 11 Pro. Then again, it was already a pain to keep everything charged with a 28W solar panel... ;)

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is why I really want someone to go back to transflective display technology and make a screen which is actually suited to use outdoors in direct sunlight, but which is also bright enough to be marketable.

The bottom line, trying to out-bright the sun on a battery-powered device is entirely the wrong approach.

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mini LED might help somewhat here. Specifically I've seen some discussion of a hybrid display in development. The issue with current LCD is that in order to have even lighting overall they incorporate a diffuser to smooth the backlight sources. With mini LED they could make enough LEDs to light each individual pixel (in theory anyway) and conversely turn off those LEDS and incorporate a semi-reflective background that could use ambient light to illuminate pixels.

Although I'm actually more hopeful with the future color e-ink displays. Right now, they have far too slow of a response time (phase change ) and unacceptable color gamut, but they have shown rapid advancement in the last year or so. There are a couple of e-readers in the market already with this tech.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If anyone is interested, there's an article discussing issues when trying to use an iPad as a full blown productivity machine on Ars Technica today.

Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@JoeS - good find and very accurate article. Despite being an iPad advocate, having owned a Surface Go 2 as well, the iPad is a very poor choice for a full time productivity tool compared to SG2. Axon does a good job of pointing out. the dificiencies. I know there are people who swear by (and not at) their iPad Pro as their only computer, but I think for the average user that won't be the case.

Now, true confession time, I am leaning hard into an all Apple life - Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and M1X MBP 14 this fall. Part of this goes beyond productivity for me - I just want the integration this would bring. One major caveat - what will the Galaxy Fold 3 bring - it may be the one device solution for phone and tablet. But without major improvements in iOS 15, I have no illusion the iPad will be an all in one solution.

Chris_Kez, JoeS and Bishop like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I feel that. When I got my iPad Pro 12.9 over the summer, I tried using it as my all in one device which didn't work out. But cross device integration is really where it shines. Once I got the M1 Macbook Air, just from the Sidecar feature alone, I think I use my iPad 12.9 more then I ever did prior to the getting the M1 air. But even beyond Sidecar, password protected wi-fi networks I've join on the iPad (12.9 Pro and Mini 5) carry over in the Mac. It is a very well thought out integration system. I have even considered jumping back to the iPhone camp. (maybe the watch too) Had Apple ever given the iPhone any Apple Pencil support, I would have likely already converted back.

Eltos likes this.
  8. dstrauss

That's the reason for my "true confessions" moment. I like the way I can go from Watch to iPhone to iPad and back in smooth transitions. My Airpods Pro switch seamlessly among them. It's just a shame that Apple is ALWAYS so stubborn. It has been FIVE YEARS since Cook's famous slip about "If you’ve ever seen what can be created with that pencil on an iPad or an iPhone, it’s really unbelievable …" yet still no pencil support even for the Max. It's 2021 and you only get a 4:3 window on an external display from your iPad, much less only a half-hearted attempt at a file system. This list continues...

But I see my destiny coming this fall in an M1X MacBook Pro 14, probably for a price very close to the unicorn Galaxy Fold 3. :eek:;)

darkmagistric and dellaster like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

10. dstrauss

Welllllllll, I'm not sure...

A former client showed up with a monster project and my x360-14 is munching and crunching its way through it - but for the raw power and an intimate relationship with Windows I'd be a lost puppy in MacOS land, even though tons of it are in Word, Excel, and PDF....as I once hear our old friend Thurrott say "Apple provides the thrills but Windows pays the bills..."

Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.