iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

@desertlap what makes it so heavy? My recollection is that Smart Folio is in the ~300g range (and the Surface Type Cover is also in the ~300g range). Some Apple folks don't like the Surface kickstand but it really does provide a nice option, and means you can get away with a simple type cover and still have infinite range of adjustment.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's slightly less than 1.5 lbs. by itself but suspect it'a also weight distribution too. In other words it gets a bit fatiguing holding it vertically when reading

3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Ah, yes. I’m used to just ripping off my Surface Type cover when not needed. I really wish I had the same option for my iPad Pro, which currently has a simple folio cover but no keyboard. Maybe Logitech could have used a magnetic connection instead of a full case. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well - fastest return ever for the serial returner. @desertlap's observations are spot on, plus I think there is a known defect on some of the units. The backlight was not working on mine. Logitech support had me turn the iPad on/off; then do a hard reboot; the tech then instantly said it had to be a defect and return it. So back to Apple it went for a refund - two other observations:
    • you can remove it fairly safely by using your thumbs to push back the top front corners and then it pops out freely;
    • it is NOT lappable - the hinge is just a thin piece of material and it flops around like a rag doll even with kickstand open. It is no where near as sturdy as the Surface Type Cover when snapped to the front of the screen.

Marty, Chris_Kez and Steve S like this.
  5. dstrauss

The moral of the story is the Smart Keyboard is still the best solution for the iPad Pro 11 - if only it were backlit...better keep the Ultrathin Mouse handy...

6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

So, some of you may remember when I mused about a sheath for the Apple Pencil 2:

Which musings met with revulsion for some reason:

Turns out I was looking for love in all the wrong places. The answer may just be about putting the tip in:

upload_2020-8-10_12-0-52.png

Found these on Amazon. Some reviewers complain about how long they last.

My initial impressions on the iPad Pro 11 are
    • Less tail/trails/random marks
    • FULL muting of the tapping sound
    • More natural feel of drag across the surface (should really appeal to any who loved fountain pens)
    @dstrauss - you may want to "touch this" now.

7. dstrauss

Thanks - ON IT!

Bronsky likes this.
  8. dstrauss

I have the exact same same impressions on both the iPad Pro 11 and the iPad Mini 5. The later is almost mind boggling because the Pencil 1 on an iPad Mini 5 sounds like a machine gun and is now nearly silent. They do seem to fall off if you're not careful, but so far it is a huge improvement in sound and handwriting quality over the pens themselves.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Installed iPadOS 14 this afternoon. The install ran without incident. The update looks nice and adds some very nice pen functionality extensions (e.g. inking now permitted in text boxes). I'll need some time to figure out what else got updated...

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

There's a whole bunch of stuff this time around, just look at the picture gallery at the top of this Ars article.

Steve S likes this.