iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

@desertlap what makes it so heavy? My recollection is that Smart Folio is in the ~300g range (and the Surface Type Cover is also in the ~300g range). Some Apple folks don't like the Surface kickstand but it really does provide a nice option, and means you can get away with a simple type cover and still have infinite range of adjustment.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's slightly less than 1.5 lbs. by itself but suspect it'a also weight distribution too. In other words it gets a bit fatiguing holding it vertically when reading

3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, yes. I’m used to just ripping off my Surface Type cover when not needed. I really wish I had the same option for my iPad Pro, which currently has a simple folio cover but no keyboard. Maybe Logitech could have used a magnetic connection instead of a full case. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well - fastest return ever for the serial returner. @desertlap's observations are spot on, plus I think there is a known defect on some of the units. The backlight was not working on mine. Logitech support had me turn the iPad on/off; then do a hard reboot; the tech then instantly said it had to be a defect and return it. So back to Apple it went for a refund - two other observations:
    • you can remove it fairly safely by using your thumbs to push back the top front corners and then it pops out freely;
    • it is NOT lappable - the hinge is just a thin piece of material and it flops around like a rag doll even with kickstand open. It is no where near as sturdy as the Surface Type Cover when snapped to the front of the screen.

Marty, Chris_Kez and Steve S like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The moral of the story is the Smart Keyboard is still the best solution for the iPad Pro 11 - if only it were backlit...better keep the Ultrathin Mouse handy...