iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea prob because its just a little bit bigger than the 11in one. I am a big guy (fat) and I just like the more room.

For me this solution works really well....I am not 100% in my iPad but I am dealing with kids and I will switch to my iPad for work when I need to be there for my kids and this keyboard cover makes it more productive since I can have it on my lap and have a trackpad. Almost reminds me of using a surface as crazy as that sounds.

For me I want a tablet and I want that table to be able to be “PC like” when I need it and the iPad Pro for me fits that case.

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All iPads including the iPad7 (lowest model), come with a laminated display. And not even the iPadPro is water resistant, even though the cheapest iPhone SE model is has a high dust and water resistance, IP 68 or more.

All that aside, since you like medium sized tablet tier so much, it think you can give iPadOS a try. See how the mouse/trackpad implementation feels to you. If you are not in a hurry to replace your Surface Go, i will suggest you wait for iPad8.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Logitech has come out with a keyboard/trackpad/kickstand that brings the iPad Pro 11 even closer to the Surface Go/Pro from a form-factor perspective. This seems to be a version of what they'd already offered for the base iPad and the iPad Air a few months ago.
    At $159 it seems to be a compelling alternative to the Magic Keyboard; I assume all the complaints about the first-generation limited range Surface kickstand apply.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...8ab985284503fa9a909bfe94d884eb6e96276aec45d22

EDIT: removed the "lightweight" description after learning it weighs more than the Magic Keyboard
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've got one coming in from Apple today, so I'll pass along my thoughts as well. It does seem to be bulky and heavy, even compared to the Magic Keyboard, but videos I've seen shows it has a better range of incline than the MK, pen cover, function key row - and of course $130 LESS than the MK. I had the MK on first release, but found it bulky, heavy, and not a lot of range of motion. But ever since the return I have sorely missed the backlit keyboard even more than the trackpad.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I stand corrected. Per the Apple Store, this new Logitech Folio is 646g!!! I think that is heavier than the Magic Keyboard, which means this is in no way a "lightweight" option; I'll go back and update my original post above.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was able to pick up one at the local apple store today and am just now trying it out. It's a brick weight wise though the typing feel seems decent. The trackpad is a couple of notches below the magic keyboard but usable.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to take off once it's installed. I was worried I was going to bend the iPad.

All of these same things are true of the version for the standard 10.2 iPad as well.

More impressions later after I've had some time with it.

Chris_Kez and Marty like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Gosh; I'm still satisfied with my dull gray keyboard folio...!

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Gee thanks - what a spoiler - and I had hopes of bagging a keeper :(...now where's that return button :rolleyes: (on a short leash with Apple).

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok... still heavy, but the backlighting is nice, if a tad bit uneven (brighter in the middle than edges). I like the way it folds behind the iPad to give multiple angle options in "watch videos mode"

I will say that if I didn't already own the Apple Keyboard folio, I'd have this one instead. My daughter likes the fact it's not as slippery in hand as the apple cover.

JoeS likes this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I had to replace the Apple OEM dull gray cover (w/o keyboard) within a year. It developed melting ripples and cracks. I sent pictures to Apple support online and got back, "oh, that's just ordinary wear and tear."

Shocked, I actually schlepped into an Apple store, waited in line, saw a live human being who said, "you've really been hard on that. Can't help you."

Wound up buying a 3rd party after market for about half the price of the original (similar magnetic back). Works like a charm and has for MORE than a year. Same use, no ripples or cracks. So much for Apple quality.

[​IMG]