iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

SPX Nits: Some corporate VPN stuff, the occasional driver issue, Evernote crawls (which made me install the Evernote webpage as a PWA as a workaround), the occasional 64 bit app - most painfully paint.net, enough nits to roll up into a mildly annoying 20% hairball.

Why I parked my GB12: I asked myself the same question about the GB12 before I tried the SPX. I used my GB12 so extensively in the first year, that battery life degradation began to pinch. What was 5 hrs at best started to look like 3. Plus I was never a fan of the origami keyboard, and it developed some intermittent wonky screen behavior (drivers?).

#FirstWorldProblems #EarlyAdopterSyndrome

WillAdams and dstrauss like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What was this behavior? Was it the screen flashing white intermittently?

Mine has begun doing that, which is incredibly annoying. Does anyone know of a fix?

Bishop likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I had to debug this issue a few months ago. It was indeed driver-related in my case, which was fixed by uninstalling the display drivers (via device manager w/delete driver checked), then re-installing the latest 7th-gen graphics drivers on Intel's website.

I believe the root cause was an architectural change to the DCH driver architecture in 1809, which Samsung did not a release proper update for.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bishop Guess I've been lucky in that the GB12 still hovers around 5 hours but it is noticeably slower than the x360, and the origami keyboard stand is a it of a hoax unless on a solid surface. I'm beginning to think I am stuck in the dynamic duo of the iPP11 with Smart Keyboard and x360, hoping that the Neo does not get cancelled and manages to tame the x86 beast enough to be a decent docked laptop/desktop solution.

Bishop likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Short and sweet on the iPad Pro 11 Magic Keyboard - going back to Apple.

The keys, backlighting, and trackpad are better than other solutions, but it is not a better value-add for an existing Smart Keyboard owner. You can do just as well by adding a small bluetooth mouse or trackpad to your travel kit. I will really miss the backlighting of the keyboard (confession of a 4-5 finger typist, not a touch typist who doesn't need backlighting), but for me the cloth covered Smart Keyboard is about half-way between the butterfly and new scissor switch - more than good enough.

As I expressed elsewhere, I will stick to the Spectre x360 for now, since it is virtually no bigger than an iPP12.9 + MK, yet is a productivity dream compared to the continuing needy iPadOS - this really came home to me when I had a heart spike reading a headline that MS was opening up dual screens in the insider edition of the Word beta for iOS - then I looked up at teh four documents open across to screens on my desk and went "meh" for my idiocy...

I will still carry the iPad for note taking, and hope the Surface Duo or the rumored iPad Pro 8.5 with Pencil 2 support comes to the rescue.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Another one bites the dust! #destraussed

Bishop likes this.
  8. dstrauss

[​IMG]

"dstraussing " ONLY applies to full systems, not peripherals and accessories...

JoeS likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the 12.9 one and I really like it , I dont think I would have liked it if it was the 11in version. But the 12.9 one feels just right. Only downside is typical apple where its kind of expensive for sure.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Can you go in to more detail? Is it just because the keyboard is full sized?

I do think that if a person was using their ipad as their main device, this would be a really good solution. I'm sure there are professionals here for whom that wouldn't work, but it's actually pretty close for me. The real idea that I like is that while it's not as powerful as a laptop in some ways, it clearly can now do most normal functions well, like text editing and what not? as good as a laptop? ...while also clearly being a much better tablet than most/any Windows devices. I'm not there 100%, but that's always been the vision.