iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, is your typical travel setup Spectre + iPP w/keyboard cover?

Am I correct in saying, the 300g weight difference was enough to make you not want to carry the MK (and just use Spectre instead for typing tasks), whereas with the SK, it was just light enough that it justified the extra weight for the occasional typing task in iOS?

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think two things speak significantly to all this. @dstrauss observations make sense. And when you add the fact that Apple has actually revved the existing keyboard folios to fit the new models tells me they know that the magic keyboard only meets the need of some specific user profiles and not a one size fits all.

Additionally once again if you look at apples own adds and videos they continue a "grab and go" use model. In other words, they show people just taking the tablet only when using it for handheld tablet type uses.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Typically I carry both and use the iPP11 for note taking, reading, video - everything else on the HP.

Actually, the weight is excessive even with the SK to justify carrying both. Where weight has really become an issue at this point is I had really hoped to make the iPP11 a true laptop replacement. This MK (using it now) is a beautiful typing experience and sturdy as a rock - but it weighs like one as well. It’s only 5 oz lighter than my Spectre x360, but it is still worlds away from being a laptop for my work flow. It’s not the iPP11 and MK - it’s me. The x360 is a spectacular laptop and desktop replacement. Unfortunately, it sucks as a note taking device (although the Bamboo Ink does help), but the MK makes the note taker as heavy as the power tools.

It’s just been a sobering re-evaluation of what I need (especially in light of the house arrest right now). Like I said, what I need is an iPad Mini Pro with Pencil 2.

Marty likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

There you go again. Trying to give me hope and teasing me into rethinking my vow to never buy another apple tablet...

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ordered the Brydge for my 11 before apple announced the magic keyboard . I received it a couple of weeks ago and my magic keyboard is supposed to be here the middle of this week. I intend to have my own mini shootout between the Brydge, magic keyboard and the keyboard folio and may post opinions here after.

JoeS and Bishop like this.
  6. dstrauss

You're welcome!

Seriously, no such intention. In fact, the iPad Pro, with Pencil 2 and OneNote, is a better note taking device than any Android and most PC solutions. The Pencil 2 is the key, because it has better screen feel and far quieter than the smaller and lighter iPad Mini 5.

I have not yet sent in a return request on the Magic Keyboard because:
    1. It is truly a superior keyboard, even by laptop standards, and backlighting is heaven sent, and
    2. I'm feverishly scouring the internet for iPadOS 14 clues.
    There is a lot of chatter, but nothing of substance yet, that 14 will include real external monitor support (not just mirroring) now that Apple has a trackpad solution. That alone could change my opinion on the full time usability of the iPP11 with MK. The second rumor out there is multi-instance support, allowing you to have two copies of Word or Excel open at the same time. That one is even more critical, even if I have to switch between the instances that is FAR BETTER than now where you literally must open the new document, copy what you need, then reopen the original document to insert as you can only have one document open at a time.

So he waffles again (for a moment) - not really, because my return window will close long before 14 reveals these secrets (if they even exist). One thing is for sure - I will be keeping the iPP11 itself just for the superior pen support over my x360. The Bamboo Ink is definitely better than the HP pen, but it is still like an afterthought than an integrated solution.

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

You know I mostly jest.

You are right about the difference the Pencil 2 makes. I carried the iPP11 as my sole traveling device for 2 or 3 months last year - until a series of iOS file limitation issues trashed my work one week. Then I spent a month carrying iPP11 and SGo OG - burning up my phone battery for HotSpot WiFi. Then my SGo OG fell to earth, shattered, and the arrival of SPX became my 80% solution to both needs.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

See, Apple made the right move. Microsoft tried to tablify Windows 10, and at every step was told Waaaahh the UX is worse! Apple OTOH made a standalone dumbed down OS, so that every baby step toward a functional OS can be presented as an amazing innovation! :p

siddhartth and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

That's interesting - what is the 20% where the SPX falls short? The reason I ask is that every time I sit down and rationally consider my options, I look at my GB12:
    • It's three year old i5 will still outgun the M3 in the Surface Go 2
    • The S Pen is still miles better than the Surface Pen or even Apple Pencil 2 (closer there)
    • It has 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, and same mSDX support - right on par with SG2
    • OLED screen is FAR BETTER than SG or SG@
    • Can run two QHD USB-C monitors with built in hub
    • Can even run Netflix, iTunes, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video
    • Origami folding keyboard sucks, except when on a desk or lap tray and then the keyboard feel is just as good as most anything out there
    So why do I keep searching when my 3 year old Samsung does almost everything I want, with exceptional note taking? One hint, it is noticeably slower than my HP Spectre x360, but that is comparing fruits and vegetables due to processor improvements - which reminds me - Samsung, where the hell is my GB12 2020 with i5 Ice Lake, 16gb Ram, and 512gb SSD!

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That must be a rhetorical question, your name is @dstrauss. :D

siddhartth, JoeS and dstrauss like this.