iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll take that up. I think the expectation wasn't that Apple would defy physics, but at least could have some innovation that would at least provide something at least in the ball park weight wise. And at the very least provide some way for the case to remain attached all the time such as when using it as a tablet.

With the folio, I was willing to offset the weight gain over the first gen smart keyboards because at least they provided back protection too, something that was lacking from the 1st gen. And we have several scratched to heck and back pro 10.5 units which are for all intents and purposes always use with keyboard attached.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I can't speak to the expectations of others, as I've spoken to no one about it. So, I guess it would be true if others were anticipating a case/cover that was innovative in part because of it's light weight while still providing the benefits of the Magic Keyboard, then they would be definitely be disappointed.

That was never my expectation, but perhaps I am in the minority.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Uh, put me down as someone who was expecting it to defy physics. :p

I mean it is called the "Magic Keyboard" (and costs $350). Is it really too much to ask?

desertlap, Chris_Kez, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My expectation was NOT twice the weight of the Smart Keyboard. I plan to take delivery and see for myself, but @JoeS was right - 2.36# vs 2.4# Surface Pro 7 and Signature Cover - maybe I should just swallow my pride and give up the tablet life and just roll with the Spectre x360 and iPad Mini 5...

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah it's interesting, some of the latest laptops also weigh 2.5 lbs. If everything weighs about the same, it's even harder to decide what kind of system to get.

Personally I'm long past the one-device dream, instead of having opted for the many device nightmare.. :D An X1 Yoga for games and work at home, an X1 Tablet for work, an iPad Pro for couch surfing and music apps, a Galaxy Book 2 for binge watching, a Kindle Paperwhite for outdoor reading, and a giant Sony e-ink reader for full size PDF reading and markup. Yep, that one-device dream is definitely out the door!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    dstrauss and Marty like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Many credit Star Trek for the idea of data tablets. Even in the 24th century, they apparently never got to one device to rule them all.

upload_2020-4-19_22-40-3.jpeg

neongolden, dstrauss, Marty and 2 others like this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

As @Marty implied, I guess I was expecting Apple to come up with something a little more magical; perhaps something that didn't settle for being really nice, but was also really innovative. It seems like the design brief for this thing called for "great typing experience; will not tip back; easy to remove; pass-through power" and the team delivered just that, but no more. There's a little screen angle adjustment, but it doesn't support multiple modes-- you can't flip it around for reading; you can't pull it down to a low angle for drafting; can't pop it up in tent mode; etc. It has pass-through power but not data so you can't pop a portable drive into it, or use it like a dock as iPad OS improves screen-sharing (yes, I know you can still put a thumb drive into the tablet; that is just clunkier than putting it in the base). The material seems to be similar to or the same as the current smart keyboard rather than anything new, or particularly premium or exotic. Maybe a more generous interpretation is that I don't feel like they took any risks at all with this thing, and rather than shooting for the moon they simply embraced the limitations.

Marty, dstrauss and Steve S like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been rethinking this again this morning. When I saw the magic keyboard announced I thought that Brydge really got screwed, but now I'm not so sure.

If the use premise is that the keyboard is a needs based peripheral instead of a full time integrated component then the Brydge actually looks a lot better. It's definitely better built and the typing experience on the Brydge I'm certain is markedly superior.

I ordered a Brydge before the magic keyboard was announced and it arrived last week. I agree with the reviews that it's heavy, but that weight comes with both a quality feel and a very high quality typing experience.

The hinge/clamp design makes it quite stable when attached and very easy to quickly separate . And despite what the reviews imply, Brydge has already told us a firmware update is coming that will give the trackpad the same gesture support as the apple keyboard.

And BTW, as I read around the web this morning, the overall feeling about the magic keyboard is quite negative dinging both the weight and the fact that it won't fold behind the screen to allow it to remain attached when used as a tablet.

Bishop likes this.
  9. dstrauss

I knew it would weigh more than the Smart Keyboard Folio, but DOUBLE was unexpected. I didn't expect the fold around, because Apple rarely passes up tooting its own horn if something is good (or even marginally good - you know the infamous "Can't innovate anymore, my ass!").

Guess I'll know for myself in another week. Still, one clear (and continuing) problem is that I hate writing on the iPP11 unless it is slightly inclined. I know that is stupid since I've used legal pads for 40 years, but there is just something about writing on glass that makes that hard for me, so the idea of easy removal form the Magic Keyboard is not so magical...

10. dstrauss

PS - The Verge review is fairly positive, but Dieter makes one comment that is a bit haunting:

"For all its faults, the Microsoft Surface feels like it was designed from the start to have a detachable keyboard. The iPad does not — and not even the very good Magic Keyboard can change that."

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.