iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

There was never a paragraph where this sentence is! Denying so is heresy.

But then I try to do some simple things on a macbook and realize that to scroll through images in a folder, I might need to select them all and hit command O. Or that I need to hit space bar when I go to an image to use preview. Or that I miss touchscreens.

And then I'm like nope, I'm going back to windows 10

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bravo @paprikaleapt - you said it better than I ever have. It's like Apple has always designed the Mac experience to be "different" or even "difficult"? in 2019, how can they continue, with a straight face, to deny the usefulness of a touch screen on a laptop. I can say that here, safe from the torrent of Windows touchscreen haters that decry the fingerprints on their screen. It is JUST another input method, but a very valuable one for selecting items, scrolling, panning, and zooming. I have even been caught at Best Buy mindlessly poking at a MacBook Pro screen to select a web target or zoom an image.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not going after you personally, but "embrace the hipster coffee shop California image. " is just the same kind of snobbism that you are attacking in reverse. eg. I'm smarter than those sheep or "isheep" as I've heard frequently.

In my job I probably use regularly far more different types of tech than many will ever use. What I see is that there is good and bad with all. That doesn't make me special, it literally just goes with the job, but I does perhaps give me a broader view than those that have settled in to their particular eco system.

With Apple specifically you definitely pay a premium and in fact often a substantial one but in return you get well balanced , well designed thoughtful tech.

I challenge anyone to show me a better true tablet that the iPad pro 11 from any vendor.

And for than matter , Apple really is responsible for the modern laptop when they created the powerbook , and mainstreamed touch devices with the iPhone.

And back to quality, the fact that Apple puts extremely fast SSDs' in all their portables , or the fact that they calibrate every single display in every device they make, again goes to a focus on user experience which is unmatched by any other company. In fact the only company that comes close and even then in a limited way is Microsoft with their surface line

doobiedoobiedum and dellaster like this.
  4. paprikaleapt

Done- I've fixed my post

dellaster likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

One does not mock Diogenes the Cynic.
    [​IMG]

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

paprikaleapt likes this.
  7. paprikaleapt

Thanks!

What other parts of the switchtoamac website did you find quite helpful?

Maybe an ipp11 + a macbook really can be a complete solution

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

“It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.”

Bishop likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looked that site up in trying to find what "Cover flow" was named.

I came back to Mac OS X from NeXTstep, after switching to that after buying a Mac back n 1984.

Things I like in Mac OS X and miss when in Windows 10:

- Miller column Finder view
    - Sidebar --- the Windows 10 equivalent is severely limited
    - AppleScript --- Powershell lacks the application integration which AS affords
    - consistent file dialogs (I have to use a variety of applications programmed in a variety of toolkits on Windows and think there are as many different dialog styles)
    - drag-drop into file dialog boxes --- in Windows 10 this is file manipulation (but not undone if one cancels out of the dialog) --- the best work-around I've found is shift-right-clicking to copy as filepath and pasting that in
    - pervasive PDF support and Preview.app and TeXshop.app (there simply isn't as nice a TeX environment for any other platform)

I'd give my interest in Hell for Apple to license Mac OS X for use on tablets or to make a tablet which runs Mac OS X.

I'm still debating on getting a Mac Mini and Wacom Cintiq and iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I take it you aren't seduced by the IPP (yet :p)? Is it mostly just the lack of file system?

Sidenote: Didn't Apple give the 'ok' to Modbook back in 2008?

"Apple has authorized Axiotron to make the modifications necessary, a partnership that means Modbooks reflect the latest hardware available in the MacBook."

Last edited: May 12, 2019