iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Crazy how I got dstraussed this week too...

I went from a Surface Book 2 15 and Galaxy Book 10.6 to an XPS 9575 and iPad Pro 11"

Strikes against the SB2:
    - Flaky USB-C performance and no Thunderbolt
    - Frustrating Ntrig pen performance finally got to me
    - CPU throttling in my data science and database applications
    - Price, especially of the 512gb model
    - Display scaling is so frustrating with the applications I use and a 32" 1440p external display

Pros of the XPS 9575:
    - Refurbished i7 + 512gb + 16gb model for ~$1200 from the dell outlet. It looks brand new. With the $1200+ saved over the Surface Book, I can buy a decent spec IPP with all the fixings
    - 1080p is plenty for my old eyes at 100% (no display scaling problems any longer!)
    - Thunderbolt docking and USB-C charging FTW. One charger for iPad and laptop
    - Still have a big 15.6" canvas when I want one at my desk and AES has been much better for my inking thus far

The IPP 11" is so much faster than the GB 10.6. My portable tablet is really just for OneNote, PDF annotating, ebooks, some MS Office on the go and using my university's learning management suite which has awesome iOS apps. Dropbox makes the IPP a passable substitute for me. I miss EMR on the GB 10.6, but the Pencil 2 is a huge (subjective) step up from the Pencil 1 regarding feel, noise and initial activation pressure.

I actually hoped long ago that the SB13 would be my 1 device solution, but the CPU thermal throttling hinders any sustained workload I give it and it has anemic clipboard battery life. For now, I too will tolerate a 2-device lifestyle...well, 4 if you count the workstation laptop and the Galaxy Note 9...

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Truly a dizzying experience, following your tech adventures, Dale (@dstrauss). But it's interesting and entertaining and also helpfully informative. :thumbsup:

At one point I had my eye on the XPS 15 9570. There are good reasons for its popularity. Unfortunately it has issues...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Almos...suffering-from-countless-issues.418555.0.html

I hope yours is trouble-free for the few months weeks(?) before it gets replaced. Perhaps the next one will be the XPS 15 9580, of which there are good rumors and it's apparently not too far from release.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    dstrauss, Bronsky and Azzart like this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You all know you'll come back to Microsoft when you less expect it...:p

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I joined @dstrauss in the iPad pro 11 camp after selling my 12.9 and semi-retiring my go.. Whatever else you may want to say about Apple including the walled garden and high prices, they make some great hardware. The pro 11 is hands down the nicest true tablet I've ever used.

The office IOS apps are leagues ahead of Android or even the web apps
    And News Ne:texture looks great on this device

Bishop, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've read up on the wireless and other complaints about the 9570, so those are red flags I'll watch for on this one. Doubt we'll see 9580 before fall, and next year for refurbs. When it comes ot Dell, I really prefer the refurbs because someone else already had the shake down cruise, and the prices are amazing.

Not unless it is thinner, lighter, 13" screen, with UNLOCKED LTE in 16gb/512gb model...probably not happening...

Yes - WAY overpriced (although got great deal on used at BHPhoto - $1049 for 512gb with LTE)
    Yes - nicest hardware out there
    Yes - leagues ahead on "apps"
    Yes - ALL content is better on the iPP11

dellaster likes this.
  6. Azzart

Basically an iPad Pro. :D

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

Back to GB12 Heavy and iPad Mini 5/LTE. Not responding to questions or comments, other than refurbed XPS 15 was a POS and iPP11 not needed if keeping GB12 (old eyes be damned), so mock away...

alaskajoel, dellaster and Azzart like this.
  8. Azzart

You’re my hero! :D
    I mean, seriously. :cool:

violajack likes this.
  9. dstrauss

With my decision making prowess, if I were in charge of NASA we'd still be trying to get to the moon (who am I kidding - it's already going to take twice as long to get back to the moon as it took to get there in the first plate).

10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm really psyched to try out the ipp11 after hearing so many people talk about how fast it is.

See, even my ipad air 2 feels pretty fast to me after years of using slow tablets.

My impression is that the ipp11 must be unreal, if it makes even the ipad mini 5 feel slow

JoeS likes this.