iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried a couple different Photodon matte protectors in the 12.9" IPP thread. I ended up not getting one at all, even after sinking the $5 for the samples in exchange for a $5 coupon.

The bottom line for me is if you want to enjoy the screen you paid for... no matte protector is the only viable option.

I have not tried any "clear" protectors.

wytn likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, back in the iPad Pro 11 camp after a test drive of the iPad Mini 5. More me than Apple this time - I really like reading magazines (long time Texture fan) and the PDF formatted magazines were just too hard to read on the 7.9" screen.

I'm too much of a wuss to leave the Windows world for MacOS, but I figure over the next year or two the iPP 11 is going to be like owning a MacBook 12 anyway, so this will put the toes in the water. Based on comments by Gurman and others, I think iOS Files will take on more features of the FileBrowser App, and rudimentary mouse support will be coming in one of the next two revisions of iOS. Even Apple has to realize that if the iPP is going to be a productivity device, there is NO BETTER WAY to implement Cut/Copy/Paste.

I found these visual comparisons of the screens of the iPP11 vs MB12 and iPP11 vs GB12 VERY interesting. Shows me there is no need for the MacBook 12 any longer between the iPad Pro and MacBook Air, and this may be where Apple begins its move to Arm architecture. Besides, Timmy can then crow they found a better way to make a 2-in-1 by coming up from tablet rather down from laptop - can't you hear it now "We did it right - we took the toaster/refrigerator and made a toaster convection oven!"

iPP11 v MB12.png iPP11 vs GB12.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    alaskajoel, siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

What do you feel are the biggest problems with the GB12? The older processor and lack of silo or magnetic attachment are pmuch the things holding me back from considering the GB line

Oh yeah and lack of full sized USB. And I imagine that even the ipad mini 5 would be faster at some simple tasks due to no boot up time

4. dstrauss

1. Lack of 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD options
    2. Poor battery life (compared to iPad)
    3. NO S-PEN IN A SILO
    4. No unlocked LTE
    5. No kickstand
    6. Pathetic iTunes/Kindle/magazine subscription support (not directly their fault, but with theirs and MS's billions they should be able to buy the rights to encourage Apple and Amazon to come through)

Bishop, bloodycape and paprikaleapt like this.
  5. paprikaleapt

! I don't think ever used a device with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 gig SSD. I have wondered if a SP6 with such specs would feel great.

The only issues I have with my SP4 8 GB, 256 GB is sometimes in onenote if I have too many pictures on the page, there is some occasional lag and screen not showing images until I wait a few moments. What kind of improved spec (processor, RAM, etc?) would help with this?

6. dstrauss

That's really hard to say - my guess might be RAM since teh SP4 should have an adequate processor for that.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

with 8GB RAM and i5 it should not be a problem, but then it's Windows we are talking about. But 16 GB just for Onenote indows is overkill. Worst thing would be that the lag persists on the 16 gb version too. I say it's worth waiting a few moments to give time for page loading.

8. paprikaleapt

I need to edit my post

What I really mean is that when there are enough pictures on the page, sometimes when I am annotating an image in onenote, all images will disappear which is not great if you were trying to annotate that image

Thankfully this only happens with large numbers of images with my SP4. I'd be interested to try this on the ipp11, which I heard is extremely powerful

However, I am slightly curious if it is still possible to entirely remove this problem with something like a better processor/RAM/etc because being able to have a lot of images in onenote is really cool- a big collage you can ink on

So the reason I think that a spec like GPU, processor, or RAM may be involved in this is that my SB2 has no problem with huge numbers of pictures in onenote, they never suddenly disappear underneath my pen as I'm writing

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SB2 not only has better CPU but a better GPU to and I think with much better optimization. It's their no compromise flagship. It's hard to pin point a common variable.

10. dstrauss

Before @Marty, @dellaster et al spot the new signature, and declare he "REALLY WENT OFF IN THE WEEDS THIS TIME," I'm fessing up to a new mix - a refurb Dell XPS 15 beast combined with my just acquired "used" iPad Pro 11*. The iPP11 has turned out to be a real revelation as a tablet since my short trial run months ago - excellent pen support; excellent LTE support; Office 365 for iOS very good (all but lack of mouse support); and as small as it gets with still laptop leanings. The iPM5 is a great little moleskin alternative, but the 11" does wonders for my eyes (and content consumption).

Now the tougher explanation - just no reason for both the GB12 and iPP11. As you all know, I had three strikes at HP with 13" solutions (Folio and Elite X2). At first I was seriously considering a MacBook Pro (OK, stop the booing), but I'm a gutless wonder to make such a serious switch in my workflow just for Continuity across Apple applications. Plus the price differentials are astounding - witness similar configuration refurbs with 1 year manufacturer warranties:
    • XPS 15 9570 - i7, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, 4k display, nVidia 1050 Ti Max Q (USB C TB3, 2X USB A, SD card, HDMI 2.0) $1553 after $200 weekend discount
    • MBP 15 - i7, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, retina, AMD Radeon Pro 560x (4X USB C TB3) $2719
    • Yes sports fans, $1166 savings; just no Starbucks cred
    And yes, for the time being, I have given up on the LTE tablet all in one solution. Just not there, and I can't live with the Surface Go for the time being. The pending rumors on the Surface Pro 7 expanded playbook (rumored ARM devices) will probably test my resolve to switch again, but with my success in reselling iPads, and the fact the XPS 15 came in at such a good price, I think I will be able to recoup that should MS pull off a stunning upset. For now my eyes are thanking me...

*PS - BHPhoto is a good bunch to work with - the 9 rated iPP11 they sold me is nearly flawless and has a standard warranty until 3/29/20, with about 20 days left to buy AppleCare+ for an additional year...

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    alaskajoel and JoeS like this.