iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This is what amazes me. It goes beyond memory management to overall system performance. Maybe it's better background process controls; maybe just the illusion of multitasking while giving its all for the foreground tasks; but it is incredible the performance they get out of that 1 pound slab of metal and silicon.

I wonder if that "perfection" is at risk if I were to get what I want in order to make this my main device - a mouse and a file system. Would it ruin the experience? I sure hope not because I would love to make this my only device. I'm tired of trying and trying innumerable Windows devices and still coming away unsatisfied. Perhaps it is a fool's errand because in reality I need to work with multiple documents, research windows, calendar, email, and note taking all going at once.

Sad...:(

And then it's back to the GB12 Heavy which handles that workload without breaking a sweat (80-90% of the time). What's my problem - the fragility of Windows 10? Probably not, just always looking for greener pastures...:confused:

SAMSUNG - please give us a Core i5 experience in that Galaxy Book2 body...(juts pretty please put an S-Pen in a silo for Windows users):)

Azzart likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good engineering architecture, as summed up in this classic commentary on what Apple should've done when they bought NeXT:

https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=comp.sys.next.advocacy/OeJfU3DGQgU/wbP-57u1r14J

>The MacOS, cute and spunky as it is (hopping around gamely on
    >it's spindly little legs), is out of it's depths as the '90s scream to a close
    >and Apple _ought_ to know it. NT, although awkward and unweildy, becomes less
    >crap with every passing quarter - and festooned with every advantage infinite
    >bushels of cash can buy will kick the living snot out of Allegro and that
    >scotch-tape and spit freeware abortion that is the NC server from ORACLE.
    >It'd be like sending your grandmother and Gomer Pyle into a room to battle
    >Dolph Lundgren to the death. NT will stomp on that combo so hard there will
    >be nothing but blood and broken teeth left on the pavement. QTML, Rhapsody
    >and the OpenStep frameworks are the only technologies Apple has that can
    >weather the coming NT 5 firestorm and come out alive.

>Apple, whatever you do, all I ask is one thing. Take the ropes, chains and
    >rusty iron muzzle off of this technology, as promised, and turn it loose. I
    >just need to see the hungry, over-engineered jaws clamp down on Sun's leg and
    >the massive right paw cave in Microsoft's face and I'll never bother you
    >again. Not to come over all Travis Bickle here, but I'd like a little
    >justice, just this once, for the geeks to put the marketing goons into place.
    >For the soon to be forgotten Parkhursts, Hegartys and Ohlfs that went the
    >extra mile to bring something great into a world of technological drivel.
    >Just this once for the people who know the score but can't be heard above the
    >hubbub of those who talk and talk and talk but do nothing.

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Atter 5 years of avoiding Apple's ecosystem, ridiculingthe Pencil for it's slippery fat nib, critisizing it's Appstore for gimmicky unprofessional note taking apps, deriding iOS for lack of pen integration, after spending my hard earned cash on 4 penabled devices within 2 years just to avoid buying an ipad pro, here i am, in the end on an iPad pro 11 and Apple Pencil 2. And i am going to keep it because-

1) Samsung Galaxybooks were never released in my country
    2) Ntrig on Surface pro 4 is unusable
    3) Samsung Galaxy tab S4 has a dated design and underwhelming internals.
    4) i can not hold my Cintiq pro 16 in my hand while traveling in a car. it remains on my desk.
    5) Surface go has huge bezels and the new Ntrig is still not worth it.
    6) Mobile studio pro doesn't have battery life i can rely on.
    7) My Samsung note phone is great but i can not highlight unreflowable pdfs and make wide kraken like flow charts on it's 6" screen.

All those criticisms i had for Apple are still valid and still stand. But ipadipro 11, is still the best penabledTabletPC ever made. iOS is not the best pen based OS and App ecosystem but it is still the best touch based OS. It's not the best primary PC but it's still the best secondary device and the best portable workstation. It's apps are not as good as desktop programmes but it has their best mobile versions that will sync with the desktop app. Everything, that is problematic with iPad pro 11, can be easily fixed by future OS and app updates. But you can not fix the bezels of Surface go, you can not fix the Ntrig in Surface pro, You can not install a Wacom EMR in Lenovo thinkpads, and you can not install corei7 in Galaxybook2. These things are hardware limitations which we can not change.

All iPad Pro 11 needs is a good matte screen protector, and you have the second best pen in the word, you have the second best OS in the world and you have the second best apps in the world. This consistency at being second best at everything makes iPad pro actually the best overall tablet.

Here's my justification for burning my cash at the Altar of Tim Apple. Until Microsoft comes up with something as sexy, powerful and well rounded as current gen iPad pros. I can not recommend a tablet PC other than an iPad Pro.

I am hoping Samsung will make a cheaper phone with an SPen, cause i have no hopes from Google. I bet they will end up s#@₹&ing all over stadia too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Penabled is a Wacom trademark and should only be used to describe their devices.

Tablet PC is a Microsoft trademark which among other things indicates a device with an active stylus with hover.

You really should import a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 --- it's really the best option going, the only things I regret are no daylight viewable display (AMOLED turned up to max. w/ adaptive brightness enabled soft of works), and having to turn off updating and stick to build 1703, and the driver occasionally getting confused by certain colour settings after being running for a very long while (fixe by a reboot).

siddhartth and lovelaptops like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Well summarized. Throw in battery life and that's why this device has become the one I carry every day.

siddhartth likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well said. Though as a staunch Tablet PCer, I remain just shy of convinced...I'm holding out for one more round of tablet PCs before offering up my soul to the Apple universe. :vbtongue:

Please keep us updated on how your transition to iOS goes: How you replace your main application set on Windows with apps on iOS. Your frustrations, and your delights.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

IMHO, both Apple and Microsoft are embarrassing underachievers and I'm both annoyed and disturbed that they both manage to behave like monopolists - overcharging for underwhelming products with many excellent features and many very disappointing misses that are easily correctable but, in both cases, they don't make things right because they make money hand over fist without doing so. They can pretty much charge whatever they wish and deprive the market of features for literally years with pretty much no consequences to their phenomenal success and market dominance. Pretty much a perfect duopoly and the best any competitor can do is make somewhat slicker devices with better features sets for somewhat lower prices on the Windows platform. Apple can just coast and give us less for more - and probably do earn the title of being best because it's second-best at everything. And we lap it up. As if there is an alternative...

My, how the mighty have fallen, and by this I refer not to Apple/MS but to us!

wytn likes this.
  8. siddhartth

if you have Samsung Tablet PC s available in your country, you should go for them without any second thought. Apple Pencil can complete with Wacom EMR in certain aspects. But iOS can not complete with windows 10, it's atleast 10 years behind.

9. siddhartth

Here i
    i have thought about that multiple times but i don't know any reliable import services that will deliver to India. Also, there's warranty and all that. I was really eyeing hp zbook x2, with it's matte non glossy industrial 4k display with Wacom EMR but my past experiences of importing stuff hach been very bad.

10. siddhartth

Anyways, how many of you feel the need of a matte screen protector on your new iPad pros?

How many of you have tried?

how many of you have peeled it off?

I am eyeing this one for quite some time, but the thing does not ship to India.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZ35N37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_7QuMCbCKRS2CJ

I think Apple needs to experiment with more types of nib materials.

lovelaptops likes this.