iPad Pro 10.5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been a fan of stylus input since the Newton, MagicPad, Palm Pilot. I've been a fan of Apple since the beginning and they are my main tools (although I also have Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux on my desktop right now, all connected through a KVM switch). I've been waiting a lot time for Apple to get back into pen input. So I ordered an iPad 10.5 + Pencil to see where they are now. After delivery, I tried it, then returned it the next day. Microsoft is so far ahead in this area. Apple is so slow in their incremental progress. For example, we have to wait 3-6 months to finally get local file access in iOS? Wow. I returned the iPad, but bought a used Plus-size iPhone (because I want a new iPad mini). For me, the conclusion for a long time has been that Apple is great for software but Microsoft is great for hardware. Never shall they meet...

Aman likes this.
  2. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Check out this video,for those who expected iOS 11 to offer 80 percent functionality of a windows PC with the new files app, yes its a updated file management system but still nowhere close to a desktop OS,a disappointment.

iOS 11 makes only for a semi Pro device,still not really for the majority of Pro Users.

The iPad Pro has its users in minority for example its potential future consumer may be my mom who doesnot yet know what is a file and folder system but still want to go into digital artwork.

Making expensive iMac Pros-Looks like Apple is ditching household and small business pro users completely.
    You can't expect anything better from a gadget company.

For me a traditional laptop is outdated, I want new forms of input methods and MacBook as a concept is itself an outdated premium laptop.

This itself validated that surface pro represents the future of personal mobile computing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. Aman

I agree with you.
    But Apple nerds review like this only.

They will BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING on which there is a Apple sticker irrespective of how useful those are.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Aman

The best iPad is what it is meant to be-the new iPad.
    But I wish it had laminated display.
    For real Pro things its the Surface Pro.

Attached the comic with prediction made well back before iPad Pro was announced.

dims.jpg

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A mixed bag today (or as @Bronsky would say...douche...)

We'll never see a silo in a Surface device either, and they just jacked the price up to $99 AND forgot to put one in the box with the Surface Pro - quick learners from their Apple overlords...

This is NOT nit-picking, it is the HEART of the tilted playing field Apple enjoys in the media. EVERY review says it increased nearly 20% screen area over the 9.7. It's exactly 17.18% larger BUT they never mention they added your 7.25% to the footprint...OOPS....

"It's like Apple is just showing off now..." WTF!

HOWEVER
    , all my snarky comments aside, the iPP 10.5, with iOS 11, IS replacing the MacBook Air; would bet iOS 12 will include some form of pointer support (probably like their onscreen keyboard, the 2018 Smart Keyboard will have a trackpad overlay to the keys); they'll switch USB-C for lightning; and no more MacBook or MacBook Air...and instead of the forest of Surface Laptops MS hoped to see on college campuses, it will be a SEA of iPad Pros...in part thanks to the quality of Office on iOS...

THE END.

OOPS - PS: Apple has NEVER been first in any space (and that includes smartphones - WinCE had touch - well stylus and icons (so did Treo) - screens before iPhone) but they always use SECOND MOVER advantage to hone and out-maneuver the competition. Surface Pro proved that 2-in-1 devices were the future, and as usual, the future will belong to Apple...

Aman likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I dunno..their basic design of 2-in-1 doesn't seem very inspiring: with lack of kickstand, single outdated port, non-backlit type cover (which costs more and handles worse than the SP4 cover), and dare we mention the Pencil's "interesting" choice of connector placement? :p

And to re-quote the heads at Apple regarding touch:

(CNET)
    "It’s not because Apple can’t make a touchscreen Mac. It’s because Apple decided a touchscreen on a Mac wasn’t “particularly useful,”
    —Jonathan Ive

“We did spend a great deal of time looking at this a number of years ago and came to the conclusion that to make the best personal computer, you can’t try to turn MacOS into an iPhone,”
    —Phil Schiller

...and about the IPP being a full PC replacement:

(The Telegraph)
    “I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?”
    —Tim Cook

It is pretty clear that professionals will never see a MacOS 2-in-1 from Apple.

Which means users will need to wait for Apple to implement basic things like a mouse cursor and proper monitor support on iOS.

And this is not even mentioning more serious users like developers, engineers, and vertical market pros who need driver/hardware expandability, full-blown software environments, advanced security and networking...essentially all the enterprise features provided by the rapidly advancing unified Windows architecture.

Given the glacial pace at which Apple seems to rolling out just simple features like limited multitasking interaction and basic file system, I would say Apple is lagging far behind in the 2-in-1 PC segment.

convergent and Aman like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think their unwritten policy is to ridicule or dismiss things that they are not yet doing, and once they release their own take promote it as if it's the best thing ever. Keeps things nice and clear for the customers!

8. Aman

This is exactly what Apple is doing now.

This is not the Apple it used to be during the steve jobs era.

The regular iPad is still a unique device which no one can copy cent percent.

But now Apple is no longer that type of a company it used to be.Apple is surely lacking behind in the 2 in 1 category.

Apple is a gadget company ,not a real computing company and hence all this hyped products it creates is okay with them.

No idea if Apple would rule the future of the PC .However if it wants to rule the future of PCs ,it has to make so many changes to its PC products for example,floating multiple windows including safari windows too.

Who knows eventually they may add up mouse pointer and market the iPad Pro as the next big innovation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Like the drill sergeant - "If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"

JoeS likes this.
  10. Aman

Very well said.

Ya the Pencil itself looks like a crayon offcoarse , a horrible design.
    But it's still better than a crayon.
    Apple could have put in a battery instead of such a horrible charging mode.

Apple has made the MacBooks boring.
    Most people want a 2 in 1 form factor nowadays may not be surface but a 2 in 1.

Apple is focusing on super loaded iMacs but for most MacBook customers, a Mac is still boring.

I definately want to see a 2 in 1 Macbook.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.