iPad Pro 10.5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

yes I had ordered one online but cancelled it after having some packages stolen off our steps just yesterday. You have to sign for it anyway so they wouldn't have left it but after having the packages stolen it left a bad taste in my mouth. I decided to buy in store which works out better anyway because then I wont pay taxes I can cross the state line.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea they should be in stores Tuesday I would have to assume best buy and apple having them at the same time.

best buy didn't have the cover I wanted so I had to order that from Apple and I get the cover tomorrow for a ipad I don't get until Tuesday lol

Bronsky likes this.
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

According to Forbes no 3D Touch force meaning no party to me.
    I was hoping that this year Apple would manage to include that useful feature but no.

So I’m giving up completely and hope 2018 with OLED and 3D fingerprint reader to pull the trigger with 3D Touch force included.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...d-pro-2017-whats-the-difference/#20ace5320fd5

One disappointment: 3D Touch is left out again. Some won’t care, but given its potential as a productivity tool, I can only assume Apple is struggling to scale the technology to a larger display. As 3D Touch launched back in 2015 with the iPhone 6S, this is a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This may seem like a trivial detail, but I think it's important to point out that the statement "they shrunk the bezels, but kept the dimensions the same" is actually wrong:

The original iPad Pro 9.7 (2016) is:

240 x 169.5 x 6.1mm (9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 inches) and 444 / 437g (0.98 / 0.96lbs) for cellular/non-cellular​

While the new iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) is:

250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1mm (9.87 x 6.85 x 0.24 inches) and 469 / 477g (1.05 / 1.034 lbs) for cellular/non-cellular​

Which is a 7.25% greater footprint and 9.38% increase in weight.

Nit-picky I know, but it's important we get our specs straight (at least on this site). ;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    dstrauss, Utan-chan, Burgundy and 3 others like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Another spec confirmation (via a poster on macrumours), according to one geekbench test the IPP 10.5 has 4GB of RAM up from 2GB:

"Processor ARM @ 2.36 GHz
    1 processor, 3 cores
    Processor ID ARM
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 8192 KB
    L3 Cache 0 KB
    Motherboard J208AP
    Memory 4002 MB"

...which brings it up to par with the 12.9" model. 2 layer limits are a thing of the past. :)

Burgundy likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Why the rest of us hate Apple users ... Reason #14 - douche nozzle IPad reviewers.

Aman and kvoram like this.
  7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

have a pre-order thats supposed to be avail today from BestBuy, but right now my order still lists processing. WTF bestbuy....Guess Iwill have to call them when they open.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey! I liked that review.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I particularly disliked the football analogy where he said that Apple was 20 points ahead of everyone else and running up the score. The IPad is quite a good device, but it is not yet a notebook replacement. At least not in my book. It is not "ridiculously fast." It's fast for an IPad. Etc.

Aman likes this.
  10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I 100% agree with you... this guy should not be reviewing products. He starts of talking about how its the great breakthrough for "pro" vs. regular iPad users; and then starts highlighting things like speakers, camera, etc.. which aren't what I think of for my professional use. The comment about 20ms vs. 21ms latency is just stupid. I'd love to see him try to explain that in terms of usability.

I think the new features are great and its a nice bump in hardware, but nothing here is going to make this a laptop replacement for many professionals. My wife lives on her iPad and will continue to do so, with our without iOS 11. My iPad continues to occupy dust on the book case and these updates barely move the bar a smidgen for its ability to be seriously considered to replace my laptop. Just take a typical information workers creation of a complex spreadsheet and analysis of numerous documents at the same time. Is it physically possible to do it on an iPad Pro... probably. Is it more painful than going to the dentist after a 10 year hiatus... probably.

But competition is great and glad Apple is continuing to add new features.

Aman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.