iPad OS: important change or meh...?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Yoyo, Sep 22, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I found this on ye olde internet: “While the Files app does work with external USB drives and SD card readers now, support is limited due to two factors: iOS and the Lightning connector. The former affects which file system a drive can use, since iOS only reads from ExFAT, FAT32, HSF+, and APFS drives. The latter limits some drives based on the amount of power they draw. Because of these factors, not all external storage options will work.”

Based on that, I’m surprised NTFS works. Is the internet ... wrong?!

2. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know, this old internet is full of memes and copy-pasted info. I tried for 2 minutes to find something on Apple website (yes i know—i already googled the other random tech websites a few weeks ago) but besides the Developper Documentation which is surely extensive, they don't seem to have more than 2 light pages on iOS 13? I'm sure there's an ePub to get from iBook about how to use/configure something, it's Apple, i don't know...

It's always a bit stupid with every new macOS/iOS version to have to google random sites to find out what's the newer stuff anyway.

And i don't think there are MAN pages in the terminal about iOS. I'm too old for all this. :p
    I guess i'll try first to plug a camera with the iPad's powerbrick...
    Or I'm going to test plughing a SD to USB adapter into this USB/Lightning to lightning adapter first :p

From AppleInsider a while ago, in June:

edit: yes, ok, i'm a surely a dummy, the power delivered from the charging ports of my hub isn't sufficient to power any USB flashdrive/thumbdrive. :\
    It seems to work with the first 128gb Samsung Thumbdrive i test when using the iPad's charger.

Still a bummer.
    The powered USB ports of this hub usually charge my iPad mini 5 and a lot of other things i regularly use with it.

I expected to have to use the charger for a HDD or SSD, but not for a thumbdrive, i guess. *sighs*

This won't be super practical if it requires a large-ish charger and power outlet at hand to copy stuff from any thumbdrive...

Edit2: more tests with one of my cameras connected with the adapter -> not enough power. Not surprised there. Adding an Anker 5v2A powerbank doesn't do it in any case either. My Mini's charger is 2.1A and of course i haven't tested the output of this powerbank to be sure it actually delivers 2A.

Indeed NTFS is not supported, i'm sure i read about it when i looked into it originally, i think i still sort of hoped it would read NTFS when typing earlier and i typed too fast. Given macOS can't even WRITE to NTFS natively... Not a surprise. Reading USB3 thumbdrives in exFAT would have been enough for me, or i mean, it's what i expected/wanted.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

iOS 13.1 for my iPhone SE finally trickled in over the general store’s wifi. No problems so far.

On the iPad mini 5 I did not try any flash drives. I don’t have that kind of adapter. Mine is simply for SD cards. A 64 GB FAT32 microSD in its full SD adapter works well, though Windows declared it needed repair after I deleted some files in iPadOS. It might need some tweaking there.

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Opening multiple instances of the same app and Sidecar can be a game Changer. rest is just cosmetic. Mouse is just replacing touch here, you can not drag select text.