iPad OS: important change or meh...?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Yoyo, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Like the title asks, does the new and somewhat more computer like OS make iPads acceptable as PC alternatives or no?

Anyone used the beta?

I bought an iPad mini 5 to replace my Asus Note 8. For me, win10 and a total absence of 8" Windows tablets left me no choice, but iOS really is frustrating. So I'm looking forward to being able to use a thumbdrive again, having some access to the file system, etc. I'm surprised by the silence about the update here.

Am I going to be disappointed?

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've read very few reviews where the iPad or other alternatives are seen as acceptable PC alternatives whether we're talking iPadOS or Even the dumbed down version of Windows 10 on smaller PC laptops.
    Most reviews I've read where Windows 10S is being tested - the reviewer upgrades the OS to full flavour as quickly as possible.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've tried out the beta here in the offices. It's a significant jump from previous versions of IOS with mouse support and supporting external drives.

OTOH, the support especially for the mouse is very primitive compared to Windows or MacOS

The thing its that more than ever, when you are talking about a primary device, the hardware, software and your use case are more intertwined than ever.

eg. A photographer who does event photography needs mid range photo editing capabilities, a good way to view the shots on screen and in high quality and then quickly deliver them to to the customer would seem a great fit for an iPad Pro. Plus he can do basic business tasks with Office for the iPad.

Or alternately, an engineer that does analysis with enormous data sets would probably be best served by a PC with full excel and apps like Stata.

Or a 3rd case, a student whose student admin and curriculum is all online is a great fit for a Chromebook where things like lower cost and long battery life matter most.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's not even iPad OS, but I'm thrilled that in iOS 13 we can finally edit favorite urls in Safari. Major benefit, you can set up a favorite that links to new posts on TabletPCReview! :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

B5F0D1B0-8BCC-479C-82C7-152BAD599AF0.jpeg

As usual I have waited for the .1 update, so I have no experience with 13 at all. Hopefully it’ll incrementally download over the next few days since I only have useable cell service on my iPhone (as hotspot source) in the wee hours of the morning. I’m looking forward to direct access to files on mass storage without having to use the accursed Windows version of iTunes.

6. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently bought the Camera adapter kit for my Mini 5 (USB3+lightning input) —finally!— i'd been waiting for this, to plug flashdrives to move documents around and for microSDs/photo stuff...

For now i haven't launched the update yet. Haven't read about the state of this version yet, the potential bugs etc, so i'm waiting a bit.. I always wait a bit anyway.

(But for iOS 13, i don't really know if my iPhone SE will handle the major upgrade fine. I currently have no clue if i should update or not... what kind of bad surprises this new iOS version could have this time on my phone so ugh)

7. dellaster

No bad reports from iOS 13 beta folks in regard to the SE and waiting for one update, from iOS 13.0 to 13.1 in this case, usually catches anything nasty that slips through. So I set it in motion for my iPhone SE as well. It’ll be... interesting to see how many days it’ll take with just occasional connection to very bad free wifi from the general store—my RV is close enough to connect sometimes, like right now, when the cell signal dies or has zero actual bandwidth behind its two or three bars of LTE. :confused::p:rolleyes:

8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

It depends what you want to do exactly as a PC alternative.

I used iOS13 beta almost immediately when it came out and installed on my mini 5. Having a sort-of file system and access for thumb drives worked. You can connect a bluetooth mouse, but right-clicking didn't give me the functionality that I expected. Also, the pointer was a largish circle with a cross-hair. But it's like Apple purposefully makes it just annoying enough to keep the MacBook relevant.

If you only need to view one or two apps at a time as a PC alternative, you'll probably be fine. If you do any sort of multitasking beyond that, I personally found that inefficient and compromising.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. dellaster

iPadOS 13.1.1 is now installed on my iPad mini 5. No problems with the process or result.

On my computer I copied a 2GB .mp4 movie & a random zipped file to a SD card. I then attached it via my old SD->Lightning adapter which previously only opened a window for copying photos from SD to Photos. Nothing happened. I opened the Files app and there it was, the SD card and all contents.

Sharing the zip from the SD card worked—I could attach it to an email (very important for what’s left of my freelance business at times like now when my desktop cannot get an internet connection). The movie copied slowly but without issue to VLC app storage on the iPad. It took about 5 minutes, either because the cheap adapter was slow or the lightning connection was. The movie played.

It might not seem like much to the Apple-dislike & glass-half-empty crowd, but just being able to do all this without iTunes is tremendously wonderful. I can’t even get iTunes to work right now, a sufficient internet connection being absent (most stuff, including OneDrive, will time out). iTunes can’t phone home and get approval for moving stuff to my iPad mini 5. I was stuck.

This alone was very much worth the feature update for me.

nyb72 and JoeS like this.
  10. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

Installed iPadOS 13.1.1 via iTunes as well on my Mini 5.

// i don't do OTA updates for major iOS versions. On (A)DSL it's still as painful as ever, each time the download gets interupted before it's fully completed, iTunes will start the download again from scratch. And that's why it always takes me almost a full day (or sometimes several) just to update a single iOS device on (A)DSL. Apple really must hate me for having bought so many of their devices and PCs over the years. I get the hint, Apple.

ANYWAY (Sorry for the rant-y part!)
    Using the Camera adapter kit + power via lightning, it can't read a single USB flashdrive, I tried a few different ones, no matter the filesystem (exFAT, NTFS...), i haven't tried any HFS/APFS.

The firmware of the Camera adapter KIT (USB+Lightning) was updated apparently. But... either i don't know how to read stuff from a USB flashdrive via the Files app or it doesn't work at all in my case. Dunno! I'll investigate later. Maybe this brand new Apple adapter is faulty, i haven't tested it with anything else yet. (I used to use the first Camera kit adapter on the first iPad for Audio & MIDI stuff... and This tells me it can't power a flashdrive?)

I only got the ooold "not enough power for this device" (even with lightning power connected) and a main error message, that i don't remember, which doesn't mean a thing i heard (in terms of "will it work or not"). i didn't even try plugging a HDD.

But uhm, maybe i should try using the proper iPad's charger, just in case...
    And i'll test something else with this adapter.
    Or maybe it's me. We'll see.