ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm bowing out of the iPad mini 5 wait list because reasons:

1) I have Wacom in a silo at 6.3" (Note8) and 10.1" (Fujitsu Q584) so I really don't need an Apple pencil device. I have things covered.

2) I'd rather not return to Apple's ecosystem. iOS wouldn't mix well with a Galaxy Note.

3) I realized that what I'm truly yearning for is a lightweight 8"-ish media tablet with a super duper nice screen. Because old eyes getting older.

And 4) Samsung has their 8" 2048 x 1536 Super AMOLED Galaxy Tab S2 for $70 off and they're throwing in AKG N200 Wireless BT earbuds for free. The S2 scratches the itch and I also happen to need new BT earbuds with long battery life. Good timing, great deal.

Nothing against Apple, iOS, or iPads, but I'll sit out this round. Best wishes for those who remain on the iPad mini 5 anticipation list! :hi::thumbsup:

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I doubt it will be A10x, if anything might just be the A10 and cost the the same as the current iPad 9.7, while that sees a $25-50 price increase due to the newer design.

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually wonder why of all the penabled tablets aimed at education, all of them seem to be 10 inches and not 8.

- Acer chrome tab 10 inch
    - Surface Go
    - cheapest ipad model with pen is 9.7 inches

Education aimed tablets increase hope of penabled tablets in my mind.

Maybe they see 8 inches as being for little kids?

They don't see the power of the 8 incher inside an oversized lab coat pocket.

Or maybe Samsung got burned on sales for the ancient galaxy note 8.0 tablet and gave up on it. It's really weird though- it seems to have great reviews on amazon.

Though without a really great penabled flashcard app, I'm starting to wonder if I should just abandon my hopes for a good stylus 8 incher and just grab that ipad mini 4 or huawei 8 incher..

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm not sure there is just a misconception that 8" is too small of a canvas - perhaps for artists - but for real note takers it couldn't be better. Maybe gen 2 or 3 of the foldable phones will finally bring back the 8" tablet format. Or maybe we'll get lucky with that 8" iPad Mini since Sir Jony is rumored to dislike the folding concept so maybe he'll allow a small iPad to live on...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How old is this Tab S2? The problem with Sammy is their penchant for abandoning products and not updating them.

Sent from mTalk

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. dellaster

It came out a little after the iPad mini 4. Android Nougat is the end as far as OS updates go. By all measures it's completely out of date. But for someone like me, who doesn't want to return to iOS, it's the only viable 8" media consumption device with a screen that's at least as good as the iPad mini 4's.

Basically a web surfing, video watching, and especially an ebook reading tablet for the couch or bed. That's all it has to do, so being outdated shouldn't matter. It's easily fast enough for that kind of light stuff, accepts an SD card to hold all the content I want, feather-light to hold for hours, and an OLED screen to die for.

Sometimes you don't need the latest & greatest. I look forward to seeing if it works out as well as I hope (I pick it up Friday).

Hopefully Apple does indeed release an iPad mini 5 w/pencil, it sells like crazy, and Samsung makes an 8" Tab S5 w/S-Pen to get a piece of the action. I'll surely upgrade to that down the road.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Quite simply the 10-ish form factor allows for much more comfy keyboard. Even if you can get used to it....a 8-inch keyboard can be downright dreadful to type on.

WillAdams and paprikaleapt like this.
  8. dstrauss

Well, Apple is working hard (through it's usual leak network - Ming Chi Kuo, Mac Otakara, digitimes, etc.) to tamp down expectations. In summary - same form factor, lightning, screen (a cheaper non-laminated display), A10 (A10X unlikely) and now much wavering on whether it will have Apple Pencil 1 support...bummer if this all comes true.

Some even speculate it is a "cheaper" entry into education market for smaller hands...nice way to burst my bubble for moleskin replacement...I may be really glad I picked up the Surface Go again...

9. dellaster

@dstrauss — I got that feeling as well, that they're going bottom-rung entry & kids with the next mini. It's part of why I decided not to wait and got the 8" Galaxy S2. I hope to be wrong, though.

10. dstrauss

I still see a few sites claiming the Apple Pencil support will be coming, and I guess that would make sense if it is education bound. Still, it feels like a good way to kill the device - I can hear Phil now - "See, we updated and added a better processor but sales tanked - good bye iPad Mini!"

dellaster likes this.