ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, my friend, what really excites the economic powers that be is real-time tracking of individuals wearing AR glasses and serving up on-the-spot advertising to them. Some cute cartoon/anime character (or sexy woman) will come up to them and say, “Here! Right here on your left in the window! Buy it NOW!!!” :p

Marty and lovelaptops like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Methinks you've made my point!

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well it's definitely early days. The thoughts I have is that it took a long time for the transition to 3g from 2g (and even that was accelerated more than it would have by the government due to HDTV) By comparison the switch to LTE was much faster and I anticipate that the transition to 5g will be quicker than most think because both the government and business see great upside to 5g and will drive it.

It is true that in some areas they have lagged considerably and that wont change right away, but i think for example you will see some of the 3g laggards go directly to 5g.

The key thing that's different from a 5g network is the mesh nature which solves a lot of tower type issues. In remote areas the speed may not be all that impressive, but it's more a matter of access where there wasn't before.

This is just my feelings and hunches but there you go,

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  4. dellaster

Okay, this article explains why there’s 5G hope for non-metro areas. It’s from back in December and I wonder why none of the other 5G articles I’ve read mention the rural “low-band” US version as well as the “millimeter-wave” version for high-density population areas.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365565/what-will-5g-do-for-rural-areas

A sample of the info:

“The multi-gigabit speeds and massive capacity you hear about with 5G is by and large an urban phenomenon, driven by the huge bandwidths of millimeter-wave spectrum, which doesn't travel very far. Rural areas will get a form of 5G called "low-band" or "sub-6" 5G, which will have less capacity but still have extremely low latency and be able to work with massive networks of industrial sensors.”​

Upgrading—or rather adding to—existing LTE towers with a lesser (but still improved) 5G capability makes a WHOLE lot more sense than tacking up millimeter-wave transceivers every square 100m (or whatever) throughout the non-metro US. I never believed that scenario was credible.

2272E218-C687-4E28-977E-0911B42990B1.jpeg
    Yeah, nail 5G transceivers throughout the millions of square miles of National Forests? Not gonna happen! 3G/4G tower coverage is surprisingly not bad nowadays compared to a decade ago. Just add 5G “low-band” to those towers and we’re a long ways towards even better connectivity for the rest of us.
    For the first time I’m in a positive mood about 5G! :thumbsup:

BTW, the reason I looked up “low-band” rural 5G for the US is because it was mentioned on MacBreak Weekly today. It was in reference to Apple needing both kinds on their phone next year, or rather all three kinds (Europe will use an in between “mid-band” version). Glad I was listening.

Marty and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wish I'd seen this.
    Additionally did they mention the mesh nature of these new "towers" ? They could use each other for a connection (albeit with hits to performance) without even needing a wired connection. One of the European companies is even working on a solar powered unit that wouldn't need an electricity line either.

6. dellaster

Not in depth. It’s more of an overview on how even rural areas will benefit from 5G. Autonomous farm machinery included. It does touch on the meshing effect, I think...

“Getting massive bandwidth to rural areas means building out expensive networks over long distances. But over the next few years, we may see some technological advances that could change the game. Distributed networks and antenna systems can let one internet access point serve a broader area by acting as a springboard to smaller base stations spread over several miles. Setting up 5G on relatively new spectrum in the 3.7 to 4.2GHz and 6GHz bands could balance coverage and speed to solve some rural home broadband problems, although there are no concrete plans for networks on those bands yet.”​

Good article. My opinion of PCmag.com has gone up.

7. dellaster

Remember that iPad mini 5 I bought through Verizon then returned within 14 days because it wouldn’t connect to their 3G partner tower? I’ve had to fight to avoid/get refunded the $50 restock fee and they tried to charge me an additional $175 for early termination. Not to mention a couple of $20 line addition fees (for the iPm5 from Apple Store and their own, neither of which worked on that tower and were returned) plus taxes and who knows whatnot.

I’m done with Verizon. I switched to their independent subsidiary MVNO, Visible, in June after all this started going down and got that ETF on my final Verizon bill today. Spent an hour on the phone just now getting that ETF cancelled and also the restock fee refunded. Hopefully (pending approval; I will know in 48 hours, the email says). I give up on the other overcharges. I just want it to end. :mad:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    wytn likes this.