ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/30/ipad-and-ipad-mini-coming-in-spring/

Sourcing from Bloomberg, a MacRumors, er, rumor of new 10" and mini iPads coming this spring.

"The iPad mini 5 will be cheaper than the existing model, but no other details were provided."​

"Code found in iOS 12.2 indicates the two new tablets could potentially offer support for the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard as well."​

A mini Pro would have been a sure buy for me. But a bottom-end iPad? We'll see how cheap the components and build are first. Hopefully they will continue to offer an LTE version of the mini at least.

I would much prefer an LTE Samsung 8" OLED with S-Pen. Okay, that kinda goes without saying. :p

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    paprikaleapt and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All the rumors surrounding data mining of the latest iOS beta claim that the iPad Mini 5 will have Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, with a lot of negative backlash on the keyboard angle. For me both would be terrific. I don't even care if it is Pencil 1 (it almost has to be - no way they are going to give the iPM5 the new squared-off shell so it could connect to Pencil 2), that will make it a great note taking device. The keyboard would be an even better surprise - those saying it is too small should try the Zagg for the current iPM4 - yes it is small - no it is not unusable - far better than long sessions on glass.

If they come through with this, no doubt it will become my Windows companion device for 2019.

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Sadly I think the only way we get this is
    1. foldable samsung? crossed fingers
    2. phones get so long they become lightsabers but I don't think tall /thin phones beat the dimensions of an ipad mini

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  4. dstrauss

Articles like this one give me pause about the prospects for the iPad Mini 5: MacRumor

This constant drumbeat of "The iPad mini 5 will be cheaper than the existing model, but no other details were provided." makes me think my hopes for Apple Pencil support will be dashed. I can deal without the mini-Smart Keyboard (Zagg has a really nice, but heavy, keyboard for the iPM4 if they really don't change the form factor). It is going to be a HUGE deal breaker if they don't at least support Pencil 1.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Won't even give it a split second consideration if it doesn't have the pencil support. Like I said, it should be sub $300 too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. dstrauss

I'd pay current retail of $399 IF it has A10x, Pencil and Smart Keyboard, knowing full well in saying that I'll be out at least $225 for those two additions as well. My god, how can they pass up an opportunity like that?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

$399 would be a pretty perfect price point for it, especially if they do increase the screen size more to 8/9-ish inches...coupled with Pencil support and smart keyboard option, it would be perfectly priced to compete against the Surface Go...especially with the 11/12 inch iPad Pros priced more as competition to the Surface Pro. Oh god....I could totally see Apple dropping the "Mini" title and calling it the iPad Go.

I think weither or not it supports Apple Pencil 1 or 2 will come down to if it has the lighting connector or USB-C. Since I already own Pencil 1, financially it would suit me better.....but if you think of the sense that Apple would market this to be the iPad you would take everywhere....the Magnetic connection of Pencil #2 (which prefectly suits the On the Go esthetic) might alone be enough to sway them to using Pencil #2.

8. dstrauss

I christen thee

iPAD NOTE

paprikaleapt and darkmagistric like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I could totally see Apple doing that....if only just to piss Samsung off.

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While we're at this, any news of the Microsoft foldable tablet, that was rumored to replace the mythical foldable phone? Honestly, I find iOS quite uninteresting that I'd rather have another platform fill this moleskin void for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk