ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

2. dellaster

eSIM is still cool, once it gets sorted out correctly.

A885025E-25B0-49D7-98EC-23AC10E04449.jpeg

I thought everyone except T-Mobile had crummy weak 3G here, then a camper told me his AT&T was good 4G. So I gambled on their $35/mo tablet-only unlimited plan. Winner! It’s not LTE, but pretty decent 4G (HSPA+ or something? Not sure). 4Mbs up and down, good enough. Now I can watch Amazon Prime. :D

JoeS likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The radios/antennas in the iPads are about the best going from any manufacturer. They consistently tested better than any phone, including the iPhone. I'm not sure what the secret sauce is but I suspect that it has a lot to do with the antennas which are specific to the iPads and not a reuse of the iPhone antenna.

This seems to be unique to Apple as Samsung for instance seems to use the same radios and antennas in their tablets that they put in their midrange j-series phones.

dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

Hey, my iPad mini 5 has 5G! ;)

6077FD6F-5C28-4B8A-8A62-8951A175E782.jpeg

Kidding, of course. That’s AT&T’s fake 5G. Notice the “E”? I actually get better reception (# of bars) and performance when it drops to 4G LTE. :rolleyes:

Bronsky likes this.
  5. desertlap

FWIW, the LTE on iPads in general is outstanding and out performs what you will find in 99.9% of phones. I think it's pure physics as the bigger case allows better less compromised antenna design and easier to manage heat and radiation for the radio.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. dellaster

No complaints on mine. And it might seem a small thing, but the popularity of the iPad & Pencil means there are a lot of 3rd-party accessories to choose from, including custom skins.

021B665A-5EA3-4EE8-AB02-BFBB099925F4.jpeg

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, Apple uses much slower and older LtE and modems from qualcomm, Where as the android smartphones have much more updated components.

8. desertlap

Actually I'm talking real world vs. theoretical. And for the record, Apple is using Intel Modems. You are correct that in strictly controlled lab situations the Qualcomm modems are faster. But out in the wild, getting and holding and delivering a signal is a bit different.
    And to your point if we limit it to the iPhone than yes the intel modem is not as good but the whole system especially antenna and housing make a bigger difference than people realize.

Of course Apple would like to have the best of both and might be partially why they settled with Qualcomm

PS: The LTE King at least in our testing is the Samsung Galaxy Book 2.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can you approximate the real world download speed for iPad vs, say, iPhoneXx, or some other "standard" of your choice? Curious, would this apply to all currently sold iPads, even the lowly 9.7"?

siddhartth likes this.
  10. desertlap

Given the zillion factors that go in to actual speed it makes more sense to talk in terms of percentage than in raw mbps numbers

Based on the data we have, in aggregate the current iPads including the 9.7 are between 10 and 30% faster at any given physical location compared to current iphones and about 15-35% faster than most android phones or tablets.

More importantly in areas where the overall signal level is low (say 1-2 bars for simplicity) the difference is even greater with the iPads being as much as 50% faster in those cases.

One additional note; The current iPad Air 3 and the new mini haven't been available long enough for us to have a sufficient dataset yet though I expect that it will be similar to the ipad pro 11 range.

2nd additional note; I mentioned the Samsung Galaxy Book 2 as being the current king of LTE. So one anecdotal location specific example in Arizona. In this case with Verizon as the carrier
    iPhone X- 15 mbps down- 4.4 mbps up
    iPad pro 11- 18 mbps down 5.3 mbps up
    Galaxy Book 2 18.5 mbps down 6.1 mbps up.

Of course you will get different numbers in the same location if you use AT&T or Sprint. Part of my teams job is also recommending a carrier as well as a device.

FWIW: I think i mentioned this before, but Apple seems to be the only company that actually designs enclosure specific antennas for their devices. e.g. different antennas in an iPad vs. an iPhone.

I think the reason they do this goes back to the iPhone 4 "you're holding it wrong" debacle. After that, Apple hired a ton of radio and antenna experts .

Samsung seems to put the exact same antennas in their android LTE tablets as they do in their a series phones. The GB2 seems to be an outlier here

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    JoeS, lovelaptops and dellaster like this.