ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

64 GB iPad Mini is at Verizon at $429.99 w/ 2 year contract.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Minus another $50 in cart. It was another $100 a week ago, $329.99 total. Too bad I had to return mine and get another Apple Store version. Up to $350 early termination fee, by the way. So probably for the best since I’m testing to see if I can live with a switch of everything to T-Mobile.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. dellaster

Another little bonus for me: my Surface Ergonomic Keyboard not only pairs with the mini, iOS has a Dvorak layout in the external keyboard setting so I can use it! I learned Dvorak via the Typing Tutor program on my Commodore 64 back in ‘82 so it’s pretty well ingrained in this old dog. :p

I’m looking forward to using my mouse, too, even with the funky round target cursor. I’m sure they’ll be changing that.

I can pair & use iA Writer to knock out longer pieces instead of going through the process of switching my monitor and power cords from, er, the Switch in docked mode to my NUC Hades Canyon setup. Yes, I’m lazy. But it’s also an off-grid-on-solar power issue if the need to write comes at night or it’s been darkly cloudy all day. :newpalm:

The iPad mini 5 uses so little power that I don’t have to even think about it’s impact. :thumbsup:

JoeS likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How does the Mini compare to the 10" Pro in power consumption? Do they have similar durations or is one better than the other in terms of consumption/duration.

5. dellaster

The Pad Pro 10.5”? 35% on average. NotebookCheck.net is the place to find out power consumption and battery longevity numbers. The new mini actually does worse under load because of the A12, I guess.

C11C9E79-0F7B-4E45-AF0D-BA6810383845.jpeg
    From: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPad-mini-5-Tablet-Review.419232.0.html

84160CD9-444F-4962-A9E3-B5B4F5732C57.jpeg
    Edited to add battery figures. The much larger iPP10.5 battery evens things out in these tests, on average.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    batty likes this.
  6. dellaster

7. dellaster

eSIM is still cool, once it gets sorted out correctly.

A885025E-25B0-49D7-98EC-23AC10E04449.jpeg

I thought everyone except T-Mobile had crummy weak 3G here, then a camper told me his AT&T was good 4G. So I gambled on their $35/mo tablet-only unlimited plan. Winner! It’s not LTE, but pretty decent 4G (HSPA+ or something? Not sure). 4Mbs up and down, good enough. Now I can watch Amazon Prime. :D

JoeS likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The radios/antennas in the iPads are about the best going from any manufacturer. They consistently tested better than any phone, including the iPhone. I'm not sure what the secret sauce is but I suspect that it has a lot to do with the antennas which are specific to the iPads and not a reuse of the iPhone antenna.

This seems to be unique to Apple as Samsung for instance seems to use the same radios and antennas in their tablets that they put in their midrange j-series phones.

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

Hey, my iPad mini 5 has 5G! ;)

6077FD6F-5C28-4B8A-8A62-8951A175E782.jpeg

Kidding, of course. That’s AT&T’s fake 5G. Notice the “E”? I actually get better reception (# of bars) and performance when it drops to 4G LTE. :rolleyes:

Bronsky likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW, the LTE on iPads in general is outstanding and out performs what you will find in 99.9% of phones. I think it's pure physics as the bigger case allows better less compromised antenna design and easier to manage heat and radiation for the radio.

paprikaleapt likes this.