ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

As a Xodo addict, I'm also curious if there is a reader beats it easily that I just have not taken the plunge to try. To anyone who tried Xodo and chose a different one, what were the main features that were better than Xodo?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    wytn likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I couldn’t activate the T-Mobile SIM on my new universal unlocked iPad mini 5 from the Apple Store. Their system claimed the device was incompatible. From recent experience I knew a tech phone call or chat would be a futile waste of my time, so I tried the eSIM instead (with an unactivated Verizon SIM installed since I read that the eSIM won’t work without a physical SIM in the slot). That worked with no issue, at least for the special iPad prepaid plan: 5GB over 150 days for $10. Decent LTE speed for way out in the boondocks, too.

If/when I burn through that I’ll consider trying to change the plan to something with more GBs. In the meantime it’s mostly to test and see if T-Mobile is a viable option for me (despite the horrifically bad customer service). Most of the time I’ll use my Verizon Jetpack hotspot. Very slow 3G extended service but good enough for daily needs. I’ll activate the physical SIM on Verizon when I leave here and go where there’s Verizon LTE coverage.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

BTW: For those that may be wondering, there is mouse support for the new mini in the iPadOS beta as well.
    But good lord, the cursor is ugly!

dellaster likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

To me it looked like on of those WWII machine gun aims.

desertlap likes this.
  5. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I can only imagine this is intentional. Apple is only including mouse support as an accessibility feature. As much as I think it would be useful, I don't see Apple bringing true mouse support with a normal cursor to iPad OS ever. They no doing so will have a huge impact on the sales of their laptops.

Until they're ready to take that hit on laptop sales, I don't expect anything to change with this "mouse support".

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

64 GB iPad Mini is at Verizon at $429.99 w/ 2 year contract.

7. dellaster

Minus another $50 in cart. It was another $100 a week ago, $329.99 total. Too bad I had to return mine and get another Apple Store version. Up to $350 early termination fee, by the way. So probably for the best since I’m testing to see if I can live with a switch of everything to T-Mobile.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. dellaster

Another little bonus for me: my Surface Ergonomic Keyboard not only pairs with the mini, iOS has a Dvorak layout in the external keyboard setting so I can use it! I learned Dvorak via the Typing Tutor program on my Commodore 64 back in ‘82 so it’s pretty well ingrained in this old dog. :p

I’m looking forward to using my mouse, too, even with the funky round target cursor. I’m sure they’ll be changing that.

I can pair & use iA Writer to knock out longer pieces instead of going through the process of switching my monitor and power cords from, er, the Switch in docked mode to my NUC Hades Canyon setup. Yes, I’m lazy. But it’s also an off-grid-on-solar power issue if the need to write comes at night or it’s been darkly cloudy all day. :newpalm:

The iPad mini 5 uses so little power that I don’t have to even think about it’s impact. :thumbsup:

JoeS likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How does the Mini compare to the 10" Pro in power consumption? Do they have similar durations or is one better than the other in terms of consumption/duration.

10. dellaster

The Pad Pro 10.5”? 35% on average. NotebookCheck.net is the place to find out power consumption and battery longevity numbers. The new mini actually does worse under load because of the A12, I guess.

C11C9E79-0F7B-4E45-AF0D-BA6810383845.jpeg
    From: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPad-mini-5-Tablet-Review.419232.0.html

84160CD9-444F-4962-A9E3-B5B4F5732C57.jpeg
    Edited to add battery figures. The much larger iPP10.5 battery evens things out in these tests, on average.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    batty likes this.