ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Really sorry to hear that Ted. I know how much you were looking forward to this. Crazy that Apple won't handle defective returns the Amazon - and so many others do. I know you are in a remote area and going down to the store isn't an option. Maybe buy the replacement from Amazon, once you have the funds refunded?

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I checked all the usual places for deals (Apple was giving me a veteran discount). No bargains except Verizon on a 2-year contract. But I didn't want bill credits--too much like borrowing money, which I try to avoid.

On a whim I went through the process at Verizon... and it's not bill credits! A straight $200 off, though still a 2-year contract. I suppose they'll charge me that $200 for early termination? Anyway, I don't foresee leaving Verizon in that timeframe so I went for it.

A space gray iPad mini 5, 64GB cellular + wifi, for $329.99 plus the usual taxes and fees. Not too bad, and I get it delivered for free way out here by Wednesday. :newpalm::thumbsup:

Oh, and the payment is on my next bill which is almost a month away (just paid one). So my refund will go through in plenty of time.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    paprikaleapt and Bronsky like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sounds good - just one question: what is their policy if you encounter a hardware problem?

4. dellaster

After the 14 day return window (where there's a $50 restock fee if it's without cause), but before the one year warranty expires, they replace the device with a refurbished unit. They offer extended warranty & accident policies as well.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an earlier surface pro 3 pen with a single AAAA battery. It's a pretty lightweight pen.

Then, I got a newer pen SB2 pen which has two AAAA batteries. -> Heavier.

So clearly, next gen will bring THREE AAAA batteries, and my fingers will become strong.

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Would the ipad mini 5 be a good device for long bus rides next to a window?

It's easier to hold than a laptop. Not as easy as say the note 8.

It's just at the ipad mini 5's screen size I'm not sure I would do on it. Unless I suddenly started enjoining tablet gaming. And I don't really read much, my brain is pretty fried by then.

However, in certain positions, leaning back, feet on the wall between me and the stairs down to the exit (I sit in the front), it does seem like the size is just right.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes.

If your esight is good, it is also a great reading platform, but for me the 10-11" size is better. For all those other examples you gave, it would be top shelf.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  8. dellaster

Whoopee! I get to test Verizon’s return policy. It’s a mystery even to their tier 2 tech department but my iPad mini will not connect to extended service 3G even though my Jetpack MiFi and iPhone SE have no problem doing so. The tech put notes on my account so I won’t get charged the $50 restocking fee.

The Verizon iPads are the same as Apple Unlocked, but I wonder if they’ve started disabling CDMA and 3G EV-DO on Apple devices in-house via software? And didn’t tell tech support?

I finally got a chance to ask about what’s going to happen to these Extended Service partners. This tier 2 tech said there’s no info on that but his best guess is that they’ll be removed from Verizon’s network.

Another unlocked iPad mini is now on order from Apple. And a T-Mobile SIM card kit from Amazon.com so that I can have prepaid LTE while I’m here. I confirmed with the Verizon tech that I can have a Verizon line on my account added to the iPad’s eSIM over the phone at a future date.

I might get a dual-SIM setup working after all. :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    paprikaleapt likes this.
  9. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

An app question...

What do you use for reading PDFs? i mean, books/ebooks in PDF format, that sort of stuff.

Is there a really good one that stands above everything else?
    I was never fond of Apple stock app. I sometimes use "Bluefire Reader" on the Mini which is still better than many but also not really great.

Does GoodNotes would be a better PDF reading app (besides the other features)? Handling large PDFs without lag? (like artbooks etc)

I have epubs and PDFs scattered around a bunch of apps for now & it's been bothering me :)

paprikaleapt likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I've been using PDF Expert since forever (2010, wow!) and it's quite good. The minor downside is that they still insist on having 'wrist protection markers' on the screen when annotating. You can minimize those, but you can't remove them. I've been bugging them about it for three years, but apparently implementing a toggle to disable those is too difficult..

wytn likes this.