ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Would the ipad mini 5 be a good device for long bus rides next to a window?

It's easier to hold than a laptop. Not as easy as say the note 8.

It's just at the ipad mini 5's screen size I'm not sure I would do on it. Unless I suddenly started enjoining tablet gaming. And I don't really read much, my brain is pretty fried by then.

However, in certain positions, leaning back, feet on the wall between me and the stairs down to the exit (I sit in the front), it does seem like the size is just right.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes.

If your esight is good, it is also a great reading platform, but for me the 10-11" size is better. For all those other examples you gave, it would be top shelf.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whoopee! I get to test Verizon’s return policy. It’s a mystery even to their tier 2 tech department but my iPad mini will not connect to extended service 3G even though my Jetpack MiFi and iPhone SE have no problem doing so. The tech put notes on my account so I won’t get charged the $50 restocking fee.

The Verizon iPads are the same as Apple Unlocked, but I wonder if they’ve started disabling CDMA and 3G EV-DO on Apple devices in-house via software? And didn’t tell tech support?

I finally got a chance to ask about what’s going to happen to these Extended Service partners. This tier 2 tech said there’s no info on that but his best guess is that they’ll be removed from Verizon’s network.

Another unlocked iPad mini is now on order from Apple. And a T-Mobile SIM card kit from Amazon.com so that I can have prepaid LTE while I’m here. I confirmed with the Verizon tech that I can have a Verizon line on my account added to the iPad’s eSIM over the phone at a future date.

I might get a dual-SIM setup working after all. :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    paprikaleapt likes this.
  4. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

An app question...

What do you use for reading PDFs? i mean, books/ebooks in PDF format, that sort of stuff.

Is there a really good one that stands above everything else?
    I was never fond of Apple stock app. I sometimes use "Bluefire Reader" on the Mini which is still better than many but also not really great.

Does GoodNotes would be a better PDF reading app (besides the other features)? Handling large PDFs without lag? (like artbooks etc)

I have epubs and PDFs scattered around a bunch of apps for now & it's been bothering me :)

paprikaleapt likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I've been using PDF Expert since forever (2010, wow!) and it's quite good. The minor downside is that they still insist on having 'wrist protection markers' on the screen when annotating. You can minimize those, but you can't remove them. I've been bugging them about it for three years, but apparently implementing a toggle to disable those is too difficult..

wytn likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

As a Xodo addict, I'm also curious if there is a reader beats it easily that I just have not taken the plunge to try. To anyone who tried Xodo and chose a different one, what were the main features that were better than Xodo?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    wytn likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I couldn’t activate the T-Mobile SIM on my new universal unlocked iPad mini 5 from the Apple Store. Their system claimed the device was incompatible. From recent experience I knew a tech phone call or chat would be a futile waste of my time, so I tried the eSIM instead (with an unactivated Verizon SIM installed since I read that the eSIM won’t work without a physical SIM in the slot). That worked with no issue, at least for the special iPad prepaid plan: 5GB over 150 days for $10. Decent LTE speed for way out in the boondocks, too.

If/when I burn through that I’ll consider trying to change the plan to something with more GBs. In the meantime it’s mostly to test and see if T-Mobile is a viable option for me (despite the horrifically bad customer service). Most of the time I’ll use my Verizon Jetpack hotspot. Very slow 3G extended service but good enough for daily needs. I’ll activate the physical SIM on Verizon when I leave here and go where there’s Verizon LTE coverage.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

BTW: For those that may be wondering, there is mouse support for the new mini in the iPadOS beta as well.
    But good lord, the cursor is ugly!

dellaster likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

To me it looked like on of those WWII machine gun aims.

desertlap likes this.
  10. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I can only imagine this is intentional. Apple is only including mouse support as an accessibility feature. As much as I think it would be useful, I don't see Apple bringing true mouse support with a normal cursor to iPad OS ever. They no doing so will have a huge impact on the sales of their laptops.

Until they're ready to take that hit on laptop sales, I don't expect anything to change with this "mouse support".