ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But did the keyboard survive the drool?

Marty likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:D

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You gotta admit, there's certain level of brilliance to intentionally making your keyboards crap, in order drive adoption/conversion to iOS in their user base.

At this rate, isn't all but assured that the forthcoming "ARM-based Macs" will not be Macs at all, but actually just be iOS devices (with another try at butterfly keyboards). :D

4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

It's true.

I wonder if ntrig will stagnate? It'd be a bit sad. I guess this is what happens when Samsung makes a deal with Wacom first. I guess Samsung had a specific vision through with their phones and they knew that to get the note line to work, they would need no-battery pens

I actually would prefer a lighter n trig pen than the current surface book pens.

That being said, multiple buttons are dope. An erase button is great. I never accidentally press them.

5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly my iPad mini 5 has to be returned. It seems to have a problem with physical SIM cards, at least of the Verizon variety. The eSIM works fine. So I shall be without the iPad for a couple of weeks--time for it to return & get refunded then for reorder & shipment of a new one.

This is directly with Apple so there are no questions asked within the 14 day return window. A good policy. Still, I wish they were like Amazon.com was back when my original Kindle Fire had a defect. They rushed out a new one that arrived the next day (free) and I returned the bad one in the box that was sent using the prepaid label included. Truly great customer service... which no doubt got abused somehow and they no longer do it that way (I'm guessing).

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Really sorry to hear that Ted. I know how much you were looking forward to this. Crazy that Apple won't handle defective returns the Amazon - and so many others do. I know you are in a remote area and going down to the store isn't an option. Maybe buy the replacement from Amazon, once you have the funds refunded?

dellaster likes this.
  7. dellaster

I checked all the usual places for deals (Apple was giving me a veteran discount). No bargains except Verizon on a 2-year contract. But I didn't want bill credits--too much like borrowing money, which I try to avoid.

On a whim I went through the process at Verizon... and it's not bill credits! A straight $200 off, though still a 2-year contract. I suppose they'll charge me that $200 for early termination? Anyway, I don't foresee leaving Verizon in that timeframe so I went for it.

A space gray iPad mini 5, 64GB cellular + wifi, for $329.99 plus the usual taxes and fees. Not too bad, and I get it delivered for free way out here by Wednesday. :newpalm::thumbsup:

Oh, and the payment is on my next bill which is almost a month away (just paid one). So my refund will go through in plenty of time.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    paprikaleapt and Bronsky like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sounds good - just one question: what is their policy if you encounter a hardware problem?

9. dellaster

After the 14 day return window (where there's a $50 restock fee if it's without cause), but before the one year warranty expires, they replace the device with a refurbished unit. They offer extended warranty & accident policies as well.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an earlier surface pro 3 pen with a single AAAA battery. It's a pretty lightweight pen.

Then, I got a newer pen SB2 pen which has two AAAA batteries. -> Heavier.

So clearly, next gen will bring THREE AAAA batteries, and my fingers will become strong.

lovelaptops likes this.