ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Fascinating! I never knew that about Kinect.

I miss Windows Phone too. Loved my Nokia 920. :(

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Just stopping by to commiserate. Still use my 950XL as an e-reader / alarm clock. Love the live tiles, always on display, and the smoothly scrolling start screen. Anyway, carry on! :)

desertlap and dellaster like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is why I feel MS' price hikes for the Surface Pen from included, to $50, to now $100 is particularly unjustified—it's like they're blindly keeping pace with Apple Pencil pricing, while ignoring the internal tech/reasons for the price.

Apple Pencil 1 (for $100) had onboard stylus processing; Apple Pencil (for $130) has wireless charging...and meanwhile what did the Surface Pen get? :p

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Apple actually offers far superior value.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I want you guys as witnesses, but my ideal solution right now would be TWO iPM5's connected along the long edge - I'd have my Courier device...

Maybe I should patent that one...

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

BTW: I talked with our Apple rep yesterday and asked about the pencil a bit more specifically sleep and wake.

Apparently it's more sensitive to vertical motion to turn itself on (like when you would pick it up) and less to horizontal.

And he also had one of the new 8 core MacBook Pros with him (drool....)

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But did the keyboard survive the drool?

Marty likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:D

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You gotta admit, there's certain level of brilliance to intentionally making your keyboards crap, in order drive adoption/conversion to iOS in their user base.

At this rate, isn't all but assured that the forthcoming "ARM-based Macs" will not be Macs at all, but actually just be iOS devices (with another try at butterfly keyboards). :D

9. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

It's true.

I wonder if ntrig will stagnate? It'd be a bit sad. I guess this is what happens when Samsung makes a deal with Wacom first. I guess Samsung had a specific vision through with their phones and they knew that to get the note line to work, they would need no-battery pens

I actually would prefer a lighter n trig pen than the current surface book pens.

That being said, multiple buttons are dope. An erase button is great. I never accidentally press them.

10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Sadly my iPad mini 5 has to be returned. It seems to have a problem with physical SIM cards, at least of the Verizon variety. The eSIM works fine. So I shall be without the iPad for a couple of weeks--time for it to return & get refunded then for reorder & shipment of a new one.

This is directly with Apple so there are no questions asked within the 14 day return window. A good policy. Still, I wish they were like Amazon.com was back when my original Kindle Fire had a defect. They rushed out a new one that arrived the next day (free) and I returned the bad one in the box that was sent using the prepaid label included. Truly great customer service... which no doubt got abused somehow and they no longer do it that way (I'm guessing).

paprikaleapt likes this.