ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On my Surface GO I have an older generation pen attached, and it sits there fine, it has fallen off two or three times when I have it in its pouch, but it remains in the pouch's pocket so no loss and no worries. I'm assuming the newer pens have even stronger magnets so not even that would happen. The difference is that on the SG the pen is attached to the short west side when in landscape, the direction it is inserted in. But on the iPP I noticed it is on the north long side, and if it fals off from that direction it could feasibly fall out of a pouch like mine.

I find it kind of interesting that Apple gets all this credit for design and engineering, but such a basic step as what could happen if it falls of its magnet hasn't been taken into consideration might say more about Sir Jony's design philosophy than we realize.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It had better be under $400 or I'm putting my wallet back. Don't need it that much.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The current iPad mini 4 is $399, $529 with LTE, so I'm doubtful it'll be under that. The pencil will certainly be sold separately as well.

4. nnthemperor

That’s my point, $500 plus pencil is a no-go for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the hope of an ipad mini 5 dead for now (within a year?)

Should I just pin my hopes on a samsung tablet in the future or the huawei mate 20x?

I was sort of hoping to get a perfect flashcard machine that supports inking but it seems even in the software department it's no Bueno now

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/30/ipad-and-ipad-mini-coming-in-spring/

Sourcing from Bloomberg, a MacRumors, er, rumor of new 10" and mini iPads coming this spring.

"The iPad mini 5 will be cheaper than the existing model, but no other details were provided."​

"Code found in iOS 12.2 indicates the two new tablets could potentially offer support for the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard as well."​

A mini Pro would have been a sure buy for me. But a bottom-end iPad? We'll see how cheap the components and build are first. Hopefully they will continue to offer an LTE version of the mini at least.

I would much prefer an LTE Samsung 8" OLED with S-Pen. Okay, that kinda goes without saying. :p

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    paprikaleapt and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All the rumors surrounding data mining of the latest iOS beta claim that the iPad Mini 5 will have Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, with a lot of negative backlash on the keyboard angle. For me both would be terrific. I don't even care if it is Pencil 1 (it almost has to be - no way they are going to give the iPM5 the new squared-off shell so it could connect to Pencil 2), that will make it a great note taking device. The keyboard would be an even better surprise - those saying it is too small should try the Zagg for the current iPM4 - yes it is small - no it is not unusable - far better than long sessions on glass.

If they come through with this, no doubt it will become my Windows companion device for 2019.

8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Sadly I think the only way we get this is
    1. foldable samsung? crossed fingers
    2. phones get so long they become lightsabers but I don't think tall /thin phones beat the dimensions of an ipad mini

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Articles like this one give me pause about the prospects for the iPad Mini 5: MacRumor

This constant drumbeat of "The iPad mini 5 will be cheaper than the existing model, but no other details were provided." makes me think my hopes for Apple Pencil support will be dashed. I can deal without the mini-Smart Keyboard (Zagg has a really nice, but heavy, keyboard for the iPM4 if they really don't change the form factor). It is going to be a HUGE deal breaker if they don't at least support Pencil 1.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. nnthemperor

Won't even give it a split second consideration if it doesn't have the pencil support. Like I said, it should be sub $300 too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk