ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@desertlap -- Yeah, my Galaxy Note8--from which the screenshot was made--supports CDMA just fine. It's a Verizon version. :thumbsup:

"The Tab S4 LTE in the US for instance has the CDMA support , but it's turned off by the firmware." It's things like that which make it so that I'd need to absolutely verify CDMA on any device.

desertlap likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. dellaster

Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that the Verizon/Sprint (CDMA) and Apple Unlocked (same thing) use Qualcomm's modem and it's the GSM-only versions (AT&T, T-Mobile) that have Intel modems.

That was part of the lawsuits, wasn't it? Apple nerfed the performance on the Qualcomm versions so that they wouldn't be so very much better than the Intel devices.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Apple on the current XS, and XS max, and XR are using Intel modems, which reception wise are a bit behind Qualcomm. Side note I got my mother a few months ago a OnePlus 6t, which lacks CDMA, but is certified to work on Verizon's LTE network(same with the Sony XZ2 compact) and she hasn't had any issues here.

5. dellaster

Yup, I stand corrected. Nevermind, @desertlap.

But, @bloodycape, if your mother was traveling here with that phone she'd be 100% SOL. Not a situation I'd want, in the middle of nowhere, if my car broke down.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. dellaster

Well, enough dithering for me. My iPad mini 5, Space Gray 64GB LTE & Pencil, will arrive Friday from Apple ('cause they're cheapest with the veteran discount). Accessories--TPCR recommended case w/Pencil holder, matte tempered glass screen protector--from Amazon will come Friday and Monday, respectively.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Not really as Verizon plans by the end of the year to move their 3G towers to 4G and 5G. When I got a sim for my new phone a few months ago Verizon employee told us that if we have any flip phones we would need to move to a 4G enabled flip phone(or smartphone).

8. dellaster

This isn't a Verizon tower, it belongs to a partner for "Extended Service", aka roaming. Whether or not Verizon will issue an ultimatum to their little independent partners or not remains a question mark. If the partners refuse, maybe because of cost 'cause they're marginally staying afloat as it is, what's the punishment? End the contract and don't use the tower? Then everyone on Verizon in the area or visiting the national park is SOL.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I spent a number of years when I first started my practice reviewing the environmental site assessments for Verizon's tower placement. My guess is that Verizon would try to buy out the tower leases on the 3G towers and upgrade them themselves to extend their network. They are relentless here on the east coast.

lovelaptops, bloodycape and dellaster like this.
  10. dellaster

If they want to buy them all and do the upgrade to LTE themselves I certainly won't complain!