ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Again, I think this is just mythos/popular conception about the company...in another similar debate, I made the point that straight from "the Lord's" mouth:

"We've done tons of user testing on this..."

And this isn't just marketing spiel...Apple is the world's premiere product-focused company; they employ one of the most rigorous and advanced user focus methodologies in the industry.

—It's just the conclusions they draw are different.

Whereas most companies would adapt the device to better fit the user behavior, Apple focuses on how to adapt (restrict/mold) the user behavior to fit the design paradigm.

It's this fundamental philosophical difference that (even though we may disparage it :p) heavily defines Apple's allure and how they are able to rapidly evolve consumer UX within the industry.

dellaster likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Or maybe just use the fat end as an eraser?

You mean they bend the user to the LCD (lowest common denominator)?

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Et tu, @Marty ? They may spend a fortune on product design, but if you read every word of the article you linked, there is not a single mention of testing the product for consumer response. In fact, neither the word "consumer" nor the word "market" are even mentioned at all. This is the world's most expensive Groupthink process; they keep reiterating their internal design ideas and perfect the look, feel, manufacturability and supply chain adaptability of the product so that it will be the perfect follow-on to the last product in the line which was the perfect follow-on the one before that and, overall, they just keep making the product they want to make in the best possible way. User testing can't be measured by the ton ("we've done tons of user-testing on this") - it's measured by the number of market perceptual studies, product focus groups, competitive positioning evaluations performed. Easy to measure with Apple: Zero. They decide exactly how the product will look, feel and function and "test" that consumers will be able to use it as intended.

I think the gist of your post supports (more eloquently) what I'm saying here; your intro misled me into thinking you were drinking their kool aid, but the rest of it clearly demonstrates their complete lack of consumer-orientation. Did I get you right?

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This might be one of the more misunderstood aspects of the ways Apple operates in terms of new products including testing.

What Jobs actually stated was that focus groups couldn't lead to innovation per se, that was always from individuals or small teams going all the way back to the original mac team and flying the pirate flag over the building.

But actually testing designs out goes on extensively. Again going back to original Mac, they had engineers carrying around mockups and prototypes of the original mouse all over and allegedly tried over 100 designs before settling on the final.

The same thing with the case of the original Mac. .

Now jobs could still be Jobs and insist that his vision/design was right regardless and that the user would adapt. And/or beauty mattered more. The worst/best example of that was the circular mouse with the original iMac.

So full disclosure; My daughter did her thesis on user design in technology and interned at Apple for two summers so she provided me with a lot of the info related to this.

JoeS, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

You know folks - it doesn't matter a rats puhtootie what ANY of us thinks about Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and all the rest - they will continue to do things the way they want and we will like it (or not) and they will have bankrolls we can't even truly comprehend, because combined they have the net worth of more than 90% of the world's sovereignties.

We can hope to have input, but has Samsung put an S-pen in a silo in a Windows tablet; has Apple added touch to the Mac or real files to the iPad ; has Microsoft given us a true 8" Surface Mini or Surface Pro LTE update (or ended BSOD's); has Google quit spying; does Amazon play well with Microsoft? These are all just trivial examples of the millions of ways the big guys do what they want, and as long as some group of lemmings opens their wallet to them, they are happy.

So sayeth Diogenes...thanks @Bishop
    iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Bishop likes this.
  6. dstrauss

I'm sure everyone has already seen Lisa's review, but for those few of you who may have missed it here's the link.

7. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

It was worth watching again. Unlike pretty much every other reviewer, Lisa @MobileTechReview hits the points that I want to hear about & see demonstrated. She's also in sync with how I feel about the mini, except that black bars top and bottom never bothers me on videos. Then again, I always get the black face version as she recommends for that aspect.
    87579734.jpg
    And I grew up with TVs that looked like this (well, older versions of this TBH) and it never entered my mind that it should be all-screen, though I'm sure the novel concept would have met with my approval. ;)

desertlap likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I've never understood that either. If the video is engaging enough, you forget about the borders. Plus I'd rather have more useful work space which to me is the primary advantage of 3:2 ratio.

Of course now we have the onslaught of vertical videos shot on phones. In that case I'm sure they will complain about "black bars" with any horizontal format display:confused:

dellaster likes this.
  9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

My husband is a UI/UX designer and can confirm. Although he feels Japanese design might be better, we only see the Japanese design that makes it over here, so Sony. I'm sure there are plenty of no-name things that we never see.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree the article a bit light on the details (Apple doesn't publish official details, so anecdotes and high-level articles are all you're going to get :/) but the relevant quote is:

"The product is built, it’s tested and reviewed, then the design team improves on it and it’s built all over again. These cycles take 4-6 weeks at a time and may be run many times over a product’s development lifecycle."

Given the level of extreme minutiae and management at Apple, this is a very, very tight iteration cycle.

Of course, you could still argue:

And again, I would say you're being too narrow about this. They experiment heavily with prototype UX. The fact that they even built touchscreen prototypes of laptops, shows that they do venture out from their comfort zone—albeit behind closed doors.

It sounds paradoxical, but Apple is actually a heavily UCD-oriented company. It just that they select (to exclusion) which user needs they wish to cater to.

You could argue they are in fact more UCD than Microsoft, HP, Dell, et al. because those competitors are often restricted by business realities (distribution, procurement, existing ecosystem/organization clients, etc.) whereas Apple "rewrites the rules" by with owning or negotiating exclusive channels, as well exerting tight regulation of its developer and install base. Because of this it can take liberties and rapidly evolve the tablet UX space.

I know this irks the sensibilities of the freedom-loving TPCR community, but Apple is iterating and improving tablet hardware/software faster than all other PC competitors at the moment. And extensive user-testing (with a dose of Apple "filtration" ;)) is one of the keys to this.