ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss — Ditto. If there's an iPad mini 5 w/pencil it's back to three devices for me by next year around this time—desktop (replacement), iPm5, and I can drop the Note8 for a smaller smartphone. Maybe the 2nd gen of the new Motorola Razr won't be so stupidly priced? ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would be very very surprised if they keep Pencil #1 for a new Mini, or really any new product. The Pencil v2 itself from what I can tell is the same exact pencil as v1, performance improvements were more on the tablets end....the only core difference is the change in how the pencil is charged and magnetically stowed, (and it no longer has the easily loseable cap.)

Despite the Apples Pencils overall success and widespread adaption by the art community....Apple always got flack for how it looked when quick charging and how often people lost the cap. Since Pencil #2 more then anything solved those issues it would be more prudent for Apple to distance themselves from Pencil v1 as soon as they could. Its reasonable they would currently sell both pencils at the moment because last years budget seller is still v1....but it would be a safe bet that future products would drop that.

And Macbooks and Ipad Pros are all USB-C based now....its almost certain the next batch of Budget iPads and iPhones will follow suit soon enough and drop the lightning connector.....and without that specific connector....Pencil v1 is kind of worthless since you can't charge it.

There's also the compatibility issue....maybe not so much for the 11-inch owners....but a true iPad Mini Pro would probably appeal to owners of the 12.9 inch Pro who might appreciate having the same overall tablet in a more portable size format. For those buyers.....having to use a different pen for each could be quite troublesome.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I hope you are right, but I fear if they are thinking in those terms the iPad Mini won't get Pencil support because of the cost of shell and internals redesign for Pencil 2 functionality. I'll take the crappier Pencil 1 to get the pencil support.

4. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

While an iPad Mini with pencil support is tempting at first glance, having now had my Huawei Mate 20X phone with Android 9 and pen support quickly quells any lust for an iOS device. Good inking, a file system, LTE data, and phone functionality are hard to beat. The 7.2" screen and phone functionality keeps my work travel to a two device solution, and for non-business travel, one device!

5. dellaster

"... Huawei Mate 20X phone..." @ronr9286t , that certainly looks interesting. It's unfortunate that I'm stuck on Verizon—there are far too many places I stay at for months at a time that only have Verizon service. Apple always supports all of the US carriers, including of course the largest in this country, Verizon.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Don't you think the Pencil should be smaller and safely secured to the device. Don't know how good the new Pencil 2 is with the iPP, but if there is a risk it fals of...

7. dstrauss

Yes, there is that risk, but almost everything I've read says the iPad mini 5 will remain the low cost runt of the litter - in that case, the best we can hope for is the cheapest active digitizer solution, just like last year's 9.7" got, which is the old tech. Besides, that's exactly what they have always done with all of the low end devices - two year old processors and tech. So give me Pencil 1 and an A10X processors - that's the best I can hope for from Apple.

Likewise - I will be thrilled, and will shell out the necessary coin, for a true iPad Mini Pro with Pencil 2 and A12x Bionic! You know what they say about pessimists; they are the happiest people on the planet because anything short of the disaster they fear is a positive outcome!

nnthemperor, Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From my experience using the new iPP at Apple Stores and Best Buys....the magnetic connection isn't really that strong....definitely feels weaker then then the Surface Pens magnetic connection to my Pro5 and Go.

Well when last years 9.7 hit, the old pencil of now was the current top pencil of then.

But it would be odd for them to make the Mini the lowest cost runt when the refresh of the 9.7 is supposed to be the budget option. And don't forget in its prime days, the iPad Mini basically cannibalized the sale of the 9.7 full size iPads of the time. They could have been deliberately holding off on releasing a new mini till they felt the much larger 11/12 inch iPad Pros had their time in the spotlight. But a Premium Mini Pro with Pencil v2, A12X, and a $500-ish price point would probably be a big seller. Case in point, you would buy it.....I would buy.....and many others here would probably buy it too.

And with the Budget 9.7 around $350ish.....and the Ipad Pros starting at $650 (10.5) and $799 (11).....that formally all purpose $500 price point is kind of vacant in Apples product line at the moment.

Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  9. dellaster

10. dstrauss

I SURE HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!