ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow - not good news for the Surface Go...

No sympathy here - I get kicked BOTH PLACES!

2. dstrauss

UPDATE:

To my good friend @Marty and all of the friends I have met here - I will make a late New Year's resolution - no more posting until the deed is done - as in yesterday's revelation of the then pending iPad Mini 5 return, which is now hanging fire between it and the iPP 10.5 (AGAIN) thanks to my daughter's astute observation. From now I'll try to post when the decision is irrevocable (in the hands of FedEx) with comments on my thought(less) process.

You'll find this surprising - Apple can read minds - I received three emails in response to initiating the online return of the iPad Mini: (1) acknowledging the return and sending labels; (2) an email saying I can still trade in the iPP 10.5 and get an Apple card for the return; or (3) I can still keep the iPad Mini and return the iPP 10.5 for credit. They KNOW I can't ever make up my mind.

PS - I will post the iPP 10.5 on the sale thread here at TabletPCReview iPad Pro 10.5 With SmartKeyboard (One Day Only 04/16/19) - for one day only if anyone is interested. If not, I'll use the trade-in on the iPad Mini 5.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    wytn and Marty like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh, it's alright...I was j/k. We all love you and your never-ending antics. ;)

Just remember what happens with too much "Tilting at windmills" (by Gustave Doré)
    [​IMG]

(I love this pic cause Sancho@Bronsky's in there too.)

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Poor @Bronsky - in the books Sancho take the brunt of the beatings delivered to Don Quixote throughout his travels..

Bronsky likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not necessarily....from my understanding.....while the consumer/Best Buy sales of the Surface Go have been poor.....the corporate market has been quite the opposite. So too is it with the iPad Mini 5 with phenomenal corporate sales. Maybe not pent up demand for a specific product per say....but pent up demand for the form factor. This could really revitalize the 7-10 inch size category, which ultimately would be good if we ever hope to see a Surface Go 2 or maybe even something smaller down the line.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

My point was more the comparison of the iPad Mini and Surface Go. Unless you are using the SG as your primary or even significant computer, it is a tough sell against the iPad Mini. One of the reasons I am leaning into the iPad Mini is because I don't WANT two similar devices (iPP 10.5 and GB12) - and if I really think I'll need my Windows computer on the trip (a week is upcoming) why am I carrying both?

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe it, and not just for white collar positions. Back when I did temp peak season inventory control ("Amnesty", not regular IC/QA where we used normal scanners) for Amazon.com we used old 7" or 8" Kindle Fires with an Otterbox-type cover, handstrap and of course a custom app.

Definitely the correct size; you want one hand free when digging an item out of the shelves and especially to scan its barcode with the tablet's camera. A 10" or bigger would be too large, heavy and awkward.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

paprikaleapt and JoeS like this.
  9. dstrauss

@darkmagistric - thanks for the great recommendation. It is a bit thicker/bulkier than I expected, but feels really solid and protective, and the pen holder is terrific. The only thing I don't get is that hole above the pencil - it does not go through the case, so it seems too shallow for holding the pen when not in use - would have been better to include holder for charging adapter.

@desertlap - I was already popping popcorn to watch this Godzilla vs King Kong battle, instead we get Diary of a Wimpy Kid part two...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As best as I could tell, the little hole above the pencil slot exists solely as a place to stow the pencils cap when the pencil is charging.