ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread, but if Apple added REAL file access and mouse support to the iPad Pro 11, I think I would work my backside off making it my one and only daily driver. I edited a couple of Word documents on the iPP 10.5 the other day, and the Review mode worked great to redline the text - BUT - fumbling around from Mail to Word and back to Mail with all their "share sheets" is a royal PITA! Tim/Phil/Craig - build your damn SANDBOX around a single file storage container ("Documents") and let any App access that container and their separate private container. That is all this would take. Having a 256gb/512gb device without file level access is beyond juvenile...

JoeS and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

This. I honestly even kind of like the silo'd toothpick style pens as a supplement to a bigger pen. Lightweight pens for misc fast note taking.

Sadly toothpick seems to be a dying breed.

3. dstrauss

Just like Twiggy years ago...

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Get this case from Amazon, (just search "ipad mini case with pencil holder") I've had it for about a week now and I love it. Under $20 and it well protects the ipad.....and the built in pencil slot is honestly so perfect, my desire that the mini had the Magnetic Pencil v2 is no more because this fits the bill so well. The only drawbacks of this case.....the front flap is very weakly magnetically attached when its closed, like if you were to drop it, the front flap could dislodge quite easily. But it does do the auto wake when you open it, and the Power and Volume Buttons are covered by the case instead of just having a cut out.....they're still press-able, but not as easily if they case just cut out slots for them. And holding it in portrait mode you have to be careful when the pencil is not in the slot since the slot is soft rubber, so it can cause an issue with your thumb putting too much pressure on it, but folding the tri cover flat around the back can give a better grip to negate this. But still....I highly recommend this case.
    ipad case.jpg

dstrauss, WillAdams and dellaster like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wonder how many members under 60 gets that reference?
    You made me Google it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

dstrauss, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  6. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I initially wondered about an older iPad Mini model's smart cover but as i read that the first Mini models' smart covers (Mini 1? 2? no idea) weren't great apparently (problematic when folding on the back) and i didn't know precisely about more recent models.. i didnt' take time to search.

One thing that i found not very pratical for now (and which surprised me) is that with the smart cover folded on the back when handling the Mini 5, i can't find the power & volume buttons blindly as they don't stick out anymore because of the smart cover... but i guess more importantly the cover prevents me for pushing them anyway. Well it may depend for the volume buttons, they should still be reacheable. In theory...
    For the power button (and the others when the covers go past them), the cover actually prevents me pushing it given the thinness of that button — and the thinness of the ipad itself.. + the "angle"/shape of the ipad's side... (I'm not sure i explain this very well : s)
    It's a little little tiny thing ok. Thought i'd mention it anyway, just in case...
    Don't know if it's only me.

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The smart covers for the mini 4 ( I have a white one) are ever so slightly too wide for the new mini 5. They work and attach fine, but especially if you are the OCD type the fit is slightly off especially when it's folded behind like for reading. It just feels slightly wobbly whereas the actual 5 covers fit perfectly

dellaster and wytn like this.
  8. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info about that. At least i did well (i suppose) not to pick an older generation's smart cover if they fit worse..

9. dstrauss

Great Find! Will arrive on Tuesday - much appreciated - and far better than my solution.

Sucks to get old around all you young folks...

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, anyone got information on the Samsung Galaxy tab A plus that was just announced at the end of March? Can't seem too find any information on availability.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk