ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I'm joining the dark side too now. I only carry my GB10.6 because I may need a desktop class browser.

I wish the ipad could address this issue.

darkmagistric, wytn and Bronsky like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

iPad Mini 5 minimalist here. This may be putting strain on the used iPad Mini 4 Smartcover I bought, but this looks workable for now:

IMG_6829.jpg IMG_6830.jpg

I intend to keep hunting for a slimmer clip to fit in the gap, but so far so good.

Also considering a pen loop or stretch case in the center fold so pen can easily be folded back if in stand or inclined typing mode.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    paprikaleapt and Bronsky like this.
  3. soh5

Costco is worth checking out. They sell cheaper than Apple directly.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. soh5

Do you feel the glass is too slippery with the Apple Pencil?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Inking feels good on the mini. It feels much like a firm felt tip on a whiteboard.

dstrauss and soh5 like this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

At least with the Note 10 you get the wacom pen, and a wide angle camera, the X lacks.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing is, I only need one small device with a stylus. The iPad mini 5 would theoretically take care of all my inking needs. That leaves the smartphone free to be smaller (thank God!).

I have no need or desire for a wider lens than standard, nor any interest in AR or 3d or any other weird sensors. Just give me the standard ~24mm equivalent plus at least a 2x lens (what my Note8 has) and I'm fine. Better if it's a 2x-10x zoom, but alas it appears that no smartphone on Earth that's available in the US and compatible with Verizon will have it this year.

8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

How's the weight with the cover? Do you find yourself always leaving the cover on (such as on the back)?

I might just bite the bullet with a slight weight gain to get a pen holder. Though from the looks of it, it doesn't look like anything comes close to the fast ease of a magnetic pen. Or I'll get used to having a pen stick up into the air from the ipad charger.

The only time I won't have a pocket is just being lazy on a couch or bed without pants that have pockets. I guess in which case maybe I'll just tie a pouch to hold the pen on some object near the couch.

9. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally i was a little wary/hesitant of buying the Mini 5's smart cover — especially given the price! Each time i had something like a cover or a folio for my previous 7/8" tablets they ended up being too much of a bother when handling them, adding weight to it for nothing, being impractical in many cases. I always ended up removing them at some point and it was always freeing/better.

It's only 2 days i have the smart cover, not enough to tell for sure, i haven't used the Mini a lot with it, only to read some things and doodle only a bit (holding it with one hand), but the cover is 60gr (i just weight it up), so with the iPad being only 300gr (wi-fi model, i think the LTE is bit a more), it seems like this one might not end up being too much bothering later. For now at least it doesn't seem to get in my way when holding the iPad with one hand (with the cover on the back). It's thin/lightweight enough, folds apparenly without adding too much to the iPad (i'm still continuously surprised of its thinness!).

I was wary that i would have to detach it to frequently too. For now, i'm glad it seems to be a cover that might actually not get in the way in the long run but only time will tell... At least, it's not comparable at all from any other cover/folios i had before. This was the reason that made be avoid any other more bulky third-party covers with pencil holder etc. I was only going to get up a 8 or 10€ sleeve to protect the screen in transport. — (And i might still also get one i saw. i initially thought a light/lightweight sleeve would be the only thing worth investing in in terms of protections for the screen... So the smart cover is the only other thing i'm giving a chance... )

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The cover is virtually weightless to me - I don't notice it at all. I did not buy the retail iPad Mini cover - went to eBay and picked up an iPad Mini 4 cover for $10 and it works great. They are trending up a bit in price now because I think the iPM5 is selling well.

The jury is still out on my pen attachment solution - think the sleeve will be better because concerned that the pen clip will eventually tear the thin material between the cover and the magnets.

What is all too apparent is the need for a SMALLER Apple Pencil - I know that will never happen, but one can dream...

Bronsky, paprikaleapt and wytn like this.