ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Too late @Bronsky - you're toast now that you have held it and written upon its face - you'll be in three OS h#%% before you know it. I know first hand - my wife's Mini 5 has made a believer out of me and I have one coming from Apple tomorrow. It's GB12 and iPM for the win (for now). Although I like the bigger size of the iPP 10.5 for magazines, they are still very readable on the Mini and it is just so d@#$ portable it is amazing. Even smaller than the Asus Note 8 (except for the oversized Pencil). Also, you can type better on the 10.5, but I REALLY want to break that habit and use the GB12 for all real computing tasks and the Mini for note taking, reading email and iMessages, and media consumption.

There's a 70% off sale at Slickwraps (today only) on all skins - you can get your back cover and a wrap to go around that slippery white pencil there! PS - don't forget to get one of those silicone gizmos from Amazon that connect the pen cap to the shaft of the pencil so you don't lose that cap.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

dstrauss likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@wytn

Ok, I now see what you mean. Yes, that is one strong connection an I think it has to do with Apple's W1 connectivity. ASFAIK they haven't released any technical documentation but from my experience it seems to register some sort of ID so that no pairing is required after closing down the iPad. The first thing it does is when being turned on is check for that ID and if it is the connectivity is maintained.
    I base this speculation on depletion of the Pencil battery even when not being used. It sends out its ID on a regular basis and your iPad #2 doesn't recognize it or rather recognises it as belonging to another iPad pairing and thus refuses to pair with it. Obviously Apple never envisioned a scenario where people wanted to switch using the Pencil between two devices.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

wytn likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's my attitude too, and so far I've been doing ok. Might change if I walk into an Apple store, though. Luckily there's none that close to me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have 3 within 15 minutes.:vbfrown:

wytn, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, that and the fact that I'm looking up to you. As long as you don't buy one I'm good.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

wytn and dellaster like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm also still struggling to resist even though it seems futile. There are new rumors of a four-camera cluster in the upcoming Note10 and if one has more than 2x (5x or more zoom, please, like Oppo, Huawei, et al) I'm going to want that rather than completing an iOS conversion with an iPhone X or something. So the iPad mini won't fit in--I refuse to go a three-OS route!

Or so I tell myself. :confused: I might appease my gadget lust by picking up a Nintendo Switch since Dragon's Dogma comes out on April 25th and I don't need mods for that game. I currently can't play on cloudy days since I'm off-grid w/solar. The Switch is low-power enough to allow it (rationalizing the purchase...) and, after all, cloudy and rainy days are when it's best for gaming instead of hiking and such! :p

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So this is an iBooks/iPad annoyance.

We produce some of our longer docs in epub format in addition to PDF for some of our customers. I was showing one to a customer and noticed that the page numbering was off.

iBooks apparently uses it's own page numbering system such that regardless of device, each screen is a page always. So when you flip to the next page, the page number increments

Where this gets goofy is that if you read on say a mini versus an Air, the same book will show a differing number of total pages, and for instance the specific text may be on page 12 on a mini versus 9 on an Air. And it changes if you adjust margins or font size. e.g the same epub on my mini showed 168 pages and 123 on the Air
    Even changing fonts themselves can cause slight differences of a couple of pages.

The net effect is that it can totally screw up a table of contents for instance, or an explicit page reference.

Just to verify my sanity, I loaded the same file in to the Kobo and Nook readers and it keeps the absolute page number. So for an example on a small device with a larger font size it may take two or three "page turns" before the actual page number increments.

I'm sure this a deliberate design in iBooks, but it would be nice to have some way to turn it off.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@nnthemperor - you're pretty safe old pal - you're talking about the guy who clings to WordPerfect like his woobie...

It will likely be a cold day in a very hot place before he goes Apple...

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Camera array on the back will be identical to the S10 5G, so the 4th camera will be sensor for AR, VR, and depth information. So no 5x yet on that model.

dellaster likes this.
  11. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well darn, I don't find that attractive at all. The iPad mini 5 + iPhone X combo is back on the table. :newpalm: