ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, no - I look at Microsoft's future tech videos and apparently their videos are always very close to life in where Microsoft is heading with their product line. Microsoft has been in the hardware game far less time than Apple and have innovated far more. The latest Microsoft future tech video includes a roll up type screen and remember LG has recently demoed a 64 inch roll up screen.

Bigger screens are more complex to create using all this new tech so I don't believe the 10-20 inch portable screen will be that much harder. For one - a 64 inch screen has a lot of weight to be supported when it unrolls horizontally and you need the fancy box and mechanism LG showed. A portable device would be quite different and not need the weight and complex structure.

I don't think it'll be like a soft vinyl / rubber sheet yet but I think these devices are on the way.

Would you not want a 7 inch portable tablet with stylus that you could ALSO unroll into a 13-14 inch screen?

2. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, maybe it's not the more appropriate topic but...

I'd been waiting for an iPad Mini 5 / refresh too. i don't see them at best refreshing (even silently) before april when they possibly refresh the iPad 2018. As i didn't see Apple adding the Pencil 2 before the normal iPad model for instance....

Now i don't know much if the new Apple Pencil improves many things...

And i wonder now also if the Apple Pencil 2 could remain an iPad Pro "exclusive" thing for a little while. Perhaps not adding them right away to the iPad refresh or Mini 5.

Is the Apple Pencil 2 worth it versus the first iteration? As of course they aren't retrocompatible... is there much of difference?

I was almost ready to buy an iPad Mini 4 even if it's "old" now as i really need (or so i think/believe) a 8" device these days (not having too much times around my computers/etc for a while now), even with no pencil ('media' consumption use -> mostly ebooks / epubs / kindle app & browser & possibly a few other not resources hungry things.. so no drawing/no pencil), but as they're only selling a more expensive 128gb model (not worth it all for me for this use for an old model at this price for gigabytes i don't need), and around here i don't see any good deal even on a used iPad Mini 4 with 32gb...

Around a month ago before the latest event i did go to a licensed Apple store to handle the old Mini and the 2018, finally test quickly the Apple Pencil... I was mostly interested in handling them both, knowing their weight, how would they each (Mini vs 2018) feel when holding them at eyesight level for reading...

But with no refresh and missing a handy/practical device...

I'm now tempted again to simply plunge for an iPad 2018 with 32gb and be done with it as they are found a little cheaper (300€ instead of 340/360€)

So uhm, what are my questions... Yeah about the Pencil 2 i guess, i would feel really stupid again to buy now an iPad model which won't be compatible with the updated Pencil.
    I'm really not trusting Apple with the way they do update generally/etc. From hardware to software. I've had too many Apple things, mostly macbook pro's but also an iPad 1 & a Mac Mini. And for all my PC uses — that don't require drawing software — i've been back on Linux on Desktop & Laptop. i could enjoy/use Win10 more if they weren't doing that rolling/Freemium model, inspired by the worse aspects of both Google/Android & Apple (on the OS side). Which doesn't make things easier for me generally, to administrate etc... That and battery life that generally falls a bit short of my expectations/what i'd need. On the not-super-premium/expensive devices anyway.)

So erm, do i have any actual questions? I guess about the Pencil 1 vs 2 techs... and I'm not sure actually.
    This has been bothering me for a while now as i lack a practical/handy really lightweight device when i don't carry heavier hardware. And even for reading stuff when i'm not at a desk. So many other things these days.

(i'm still one of those that use/prefer a smartphone with a little display - had moved from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone SE - and i find myself using it more and more now being away PCs... Whereas generally / usually, i'd rather limit my use of such a device, not too many apps, only the minimum. I don't want to use my phone for reading too much etc. I don't want to carry a bigger phone either, not interested in that.)

I guess the other thing/question is i wonder if buying an iPad 2018 would seem to make sense to you right now with a 1st iteration pencil... Any possible advice?

So, well, just in case...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

After five days with the Surface Go LTE my tune is changing a bit:
    • Even 10" is "small" for a lot of activities, including not taking, mark-up, and editing doc/xls files. Must be the old (even corrected) eyes
    • What is needed at this point, since MS, HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc are not going back (with limited exceptions) to Wacom, is an N-Trig capacitive "stick" that can be siloed.
    • Even if we get an iPad Mini 5, the current Apple Pencil is not the answer, and they will not give it the Pencil 2
    • I know many do, but I can't get by with the Note series - just too small of a canvas for my less than nimble fingers

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i've been toying with the idea of a 2nd gen iPad Pro 10.5" + pencil but can't get past needing to charge the pen and the tap tapping on the screen even with a matte protector. I do think the apps are superior on iOS to Android (the only reason i'd go that route is for the S-pen)

-battery life would be superior

feels like you just can't win...

dstrauss likes this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Slate 500 wanted to be the answer, but it was a nightmare (delay, quality).
    The AVN8 was an answer to our dream.
    Waou, I just realized it was in jan 2014. and we are not far of january 2019.
    But, neither Asus, Samsung give us a successor in five years.
    I eliminated Microsoft and HP because my dream is an EMR pen (with the same level of quality of an spen), with its silo.

6. dstrauss

Although it looks silly, you can get a quick battery boost on the Pencil by connecting to that lightning port.

7. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

New 10-inch iPad and ‘low-priced’ iPad mini coming in 2019, according to Chinese media report
    https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/21/10-inch-ipad-ipad-mini-2019/

"Today’s Chinese media report says the device [the mini] could go into mass production before the end of December, suggesting a launch within the first couple months of 2019." (courtesy 9to5mac.com)​

There's also a 10" slimmer replacement for the budget 9.7" iPad coming later on.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    darkmagistric likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 9.7-10.5 inch I could really care less for. But a updated Mini with Pencil support I might buy on the spot. the old Mini was 7.9 inch screen....if they keep the same overall size but reduced the bezel...in the same way they could jump from 9.7 to 10.5 in the same dimension.....a 8.5 - 9 inch screen could be in the next mini. Given how the 8-inch tablet market died, and penabled 8-inchers were already rare.....A pencil compatible Mini would certainly fill that void.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Amen to that!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

I've been thinking a lot about that iPad Mini 5 - ESPECIALLY if it gets Pencil support. I doubt they'd make it Pencil 2, but even the original Pencil could make this the note taking device to beat. My experience with the Samsung Note series has been that it is great for a quick note. For me, however, it did not work as a moleskin replacement. However, an iPM5 with it's nearly 8" screen and a Pencil will be an instant purchase for this tech freak. You can scratch all my complaints about iOS, lack of a file system, lack of mouse support, noisy pen point, EVERYTHING - just give me the mini size device with OneNote and a Pencil and I will be good. That includes my aversion to a two device solution - the size alone wins it for me.

Come on Phil and Jony - unite the note taking clans...unite us...!

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.