ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it's bezel and promotion display tech, magnetically attaching and charging pencil, and though not entirely necessary, they do feel good. Little conveniences add up in value. I still believe iPad air and ipadmini are really the best bang for your buck, but ipad pro is a great experience and marginally feels superior to ipad air 3.

It's not worth it, but if u are not going to replace your devices every 2 years it's always better to go for the best.

Marty likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Autosketch is pretty good and it has the ability to read Autocad files though not always edit them

3. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Procreate is definitely worth the money and considered the go-to drawing app on the iPad. Lots of videos out there too, dealing with Procreate, if you're looking for instructional videos.

desertlap, wytn and siddhartth like this.
  4. siddhartth

I think it's a good time to start an ipad mini wishlist thread. I already have my demands-
    No compromises on-
    1. iPhoneXR like Aesthetics (small bezels and a notch, you don't need bezels bigger than iPhoneXR in a one handed device)
    2. Miniaturized Pencil 3 to go along with it.
    Somethings i can compromise on-
    1. Samsung oled or liquid retina
    2. Promotion display or standard 60Hz

5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

(red highlight mine)

I'd add just one comment on this list: I wear mens large gloves so I can indeed grasp an 8" tablet with one hand, same as a cellphone. And that's a big plus for the size category, for me. But there are many people with smaller hands, particularly women and children, who still need to use two hands, or hold the edge. So I think an iPad Pro-sized bezel would be best. And no notch.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was the only reason I recommend it at all....just because it is the most default iPad Art App. Like everytime I see an Artist drawing on a iPad....from either life drawing classes, or online/Instagram.....99.9% of the time....they are using Procreate. I have yet to warm up to it.....I just can't get accustomed to the limitations on Brush size, Layers (and lack of layer Groups). Just as an FYI....at a canvas the size of the screen 1536x2048, 60 Layers is the max for Procreate on the new iPad Mini. The Default super landscape 4K canvas...24 layers.. But for my normal Clip Studio workflow....typically I work on Canvas's 4096x4096 (squared for Instagram).....With that I get a max of 8 layers. For a layer hog like me, Procreate is torture.

So long as Clip Studio and Medibang don't enforce limitations (within reason), they'll get my acclaim before Procreate ever does.

wytn likes this.
  7. siddhartth

Most modern Smartphones have non existent lateral bezels in portrait orientation and most people including petite ladies have been using them just fine without much problems, because the software has gotten really good at ignoring accidental or intentional touches. I think the only device that really needs ipadpro sized bezels are modern Windows 10 convertible tablets like Surface go, Samsung galaxybooks. Surface go really needs a good trimming of bezels. ipadmini6 is supposed to be a pocket device, so i would support any trimming of bezels that can make it fit into more sizes of pockets on different sizes of people.

Men and women, if they really can't fit it in their pockets, because of the bezels, will instead buy an ipad air in the first place. If they have to lug around a full sized bag or backpack for their tablet, they will prefer buying a decent sized machine like an ipadpro11.

Also, that noch is getting old now, it's time for the punch holes or something even cooler.

8. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you guys know iPhone 6 and newer (excluding Xr) support the procreate app with full pressure sensitivity?

9. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry i didn't reply before... i didn't finish typing a reply the other day. I was confused by the possible misunderstanding..
    So i'm used to iOS being a BT predator like you say, you're right. i've been using BT speakers and BT headphones with a couple of iPhones and my iPhone will agressivily connect before anything else every time.

The situation was like this:

- iPad #1 was previously paired with the Pencil.
    - iPad #1 state is OFF (completely shutdown, not on a sleep/standby, has been OFF for some time..)

- I switch the iPad #2 ON (for the first time)
    // Only the iPad #2 is ON at this moment (iPad #1's state is still completely OFF/shutdown, I didn't switch it on)

- i try to pair the Pencil with iPad #2 several times, it doesn't work

What i tried then:

- i switch the iPad #1 ON, then unpair / removed the pencil associated with that same iPad #1 from the BT devices list
    - Only at this point, after i did that, when trying to pair again the pencil with iPad #2, it finally worked (at the first attempt)

That was the odd thing, to me.

So yeah one of my guesses was because of the backup/restore process from iPad #1 to #2.
    Something else that i thought could be tricky if somehow a particular Pencil serial once associated with an iPad is also associated/registered with the iCloud account as it is for macOS & iOS devices... and i don't know, maybe some part of iOS didn't like that. :\ Between something like this and the backup-restore, i can see iOS being confused. (Even with different device names... etc. Probably oo many chances of hiccups...)

Or maybe it was simply a coincidence..

And sorry again if i wasn't clear in my initial post about this or initially completely wrote the opposite of what i meant, or there was no misunderstanding and i didn't understand anything at all & i'll just continue to drown in my confusion, no problem :)

(I hope this attempt of making this Pencil oddity more clear didn't sound uhm 'bad' or something, english is not my native language... — I also initially didn't really want to post too much about this silly thing & monopolize the thread :/)

djas likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Well, my local BB finally got in a display mini. Handwriting is quite good. I did notice a couple of hooks, however, which surprised me. Anybody else getting these?
    The size of the mini is great, even if the pen is a bit awkwardly sized. It reminds me of my old Asus Note 8. I can hold it in one hand and write with the other. It has a great feel for taking notes. The speeds seems impressive and the display is quite good. We'll see how long I can hold out against temptation. My boat is a couple of months away from being finished so there's no hurry on that front.

[​IMG]