ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Just turn off BT on the device it was paired to.

2. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah but... that iPad was off, i had to turn it on to unpair the Pencil. I could have turned it on then turned its BT off... But?
    I mean, it was only an odd thing. I won't have this problem regularly, i won't switch Pencils/iPad every day. Sorry maybe i wasn't clear in the previous post. :/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Doesn't matter if the iPad is off, iOS is a BT predator. Whenever I turn on one of my BT speakers my iPad will immediately connect to it, even if it's been off for a few hours it overnight. If I don't turn off BT on the iPad I can't connect anything else to the speaker.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Just bought one of these as the first half viable replacement for the Asus VT-8 in 5 years. And I'm an iOS newb.

Suggestions for a simple sketching app to start with?

So far I'm really impressed with the tablet itself, but the stylus is a little harder to love... its pressure and location response are excellent but it is huge, is hokey to charge or pair, and has no buttons...

Feeling a little lost atm.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You need to just get used to the pencil. I didn’t care for it much either at first, but it grows on you.

Best Art Apps - Clip Studio Paint, Procreate, and MediBang Paint (Medibang is free)

WillAdams likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

So not laminated = noisier writing?

I was pretty tempted to get the non-laminated ipad when it dipped down to 250$

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Noisier is not exactly the right term. It's more like a hollow "thunk" that even occurs with your fingers when you are typing. Again hard to describe unless you have the two side by side and then it's obvious.

It ends up just being a less premium experience.

paprikaleapt and wytn like this.
  8. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes it's really a hollow sound... I find it more distracting, maybe a bit "louder" (what i meant by noiser), it can be irritating i guess... In a silent environnement it's hard to not notice it actually (imo/for me/personally). At least at first. I'm not sure how much one would just get used to it and forget about it after some time as YMMV. (Personally i can sometime be extremely sensible to sound in general, particularly if i'm very tired, from loud to very light ones, also prone to different kinds of headache etc. So...)

If i would be taking a lot of quick notes & writing fast on the iPad 6 i would indeed find it really annoying i guess. (I might have already wrote all that?)
    When drawing/sketching/doodling faster/in a more energetic (frenzy/manic-like) manner on the iPad 6 (as if you had a bit too much coffee), the louder "thunks"/"plocks" where bothering me some times too...

& i just spent a few hours doodling & fiddling with brushes in Concept & Procreate on the Mini tonight (now 1am, it's been silent for a while here), i realize, in comparison, i totally forgot about the less-distracting sound of the Pencil on this display, didn't notice it all tonight.

Gotta say also (either iPad 2018 or Mini 5) that with some customized brushes (in Procreate for instance), the tilt feature is really nice. Second time this tilt i never could experience on Wacom EMR surprises me. Only a modified pencil 2B brush, going from a thin line to a very large line in the same stroke, simply not having to switch brushes when going back & forth from lines to shading... (Sorry if i don't pick the right words sometimes.)

[OK, people having used the Pro models etc before knew that already... of course.]

(FWIW) For now I find i'm getting used to drawing on the Mini 5 way more easily/faster than on the non-laminated iPad... I guess i mean i find the experience more comfortable.

On a side note, after one frenzy/manic doodling session tonight i can also confirm that this Pencil is slippery indeed. I was surprised to have it slipped away from my hand and fell on the display. Going to add a grip to this pencil before i accidently break the screen with it... :D (i also thought i got used to the strange weight distribution, but i didn't, not yet, not entirely.)

PS: This youtube vid seems be one 17min love letter to the Mini 5 & its form factor... mainly focusing on drawing apps.
    Mentionning this as aside from Mobiletechreview and Brad Colbow i rarely see any good review, or even simply decent or interesting ones.
    (I noticed this app named Vectornator in it, got me curious about it, looks interesting. — I don't really follow the world of apps & mobile-specific software in general, not closely. It seems to be popular enough..)

9. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

To add to the list, in the free ones, Autodesk Sketchbook is still decent on iOS, i think?

WillAdams likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone plan to try a matte tempered glass screen protector on theirs? I probably will unless I hear of problems such as clarity while watching videos or editing photos. The anti-glare would be wonderful since I'll be using it outdoors a lot this summer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PXLGM

From what I understand, the mini 5 can use mini 4 screen protectors--no dimensional or hole layout change.

WillAdams likes this.