ipad mini 5 on the way

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks again for the tremendous effort you put into this important question - for many of us. You're a true TPCR hero!

As for the iPP's OSK - can you comment what makes it so much better than, say, the Surfaces' OSK's as your previous comment suggested? Get to it when you get a moment, no urgency!

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

I have no idea what she intends to do vis-a-vis her sheet music reading. I just pay for the purchase.... lol

wytn likes this.
  3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! Fair enough. I doubt my husband has half an idea what I'm doing with all my gadgets and I certainly have no idea what's going on with all these motorcycle parts he's accumulating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

alaskajoel, wytn, batty and 3 others like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree the US price for a base iPad Pro 11 is pretty good... until you see that other laptops (including the base Surface Pro 6) are available for similar low starting prices.

I still believe that for what the iPad and iPad Pro do and offer and ease of access creating content (rather than consuming it) they are very overpriced devices. Could argue underpowered too where RAM is concerned. For me, only the 2018 iPad could be described as good value.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I suspect it’s a matter of a serie of factors.
    I just tried typing something with the iPad Pro 12.9 and the Galaxy Book 10.6 (let’s leave aside the difference in size of the two displays) and the iPad keyboard seems to have a faster response time. It also seems more accurate in sensing a touch event so it doesn’t skip letters. Add to this in Windows no matter the size of the Osk, for reasons I end up typing the wrong letter next to the one I wanted to tap far more often than in iOS or even Android for what it’s worth. It might be because the buttons are clearer and well spaced between one another.
    Punctuation is easier to type: they’re there right under your nose, exactly like the numbers.
    Also, getting the cursor back to a certain point to correct a mistake it’s easier, just as it’s easier to select a word or a serie of consecutive words (not on this forum, I don’t know why touch-typing is so bugged both on the ipad and on my Galaxy Note :confused:).
    Icing on the cake: i do end up relying more on the typing suggestions in iOS. They’re probably just easier to select.

So, all these factors together make the experience more enjoyable and actually usable instead of a chore.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I guess I get to go a couple of days early on the mini. According to Apple and UPS it's out for delivery today. I guess Apple is not as insistent on "release dates" as they used to be. I have a coworker that's also getting her new gen 2 airpods today

JoeS likes this.
  7. desertlap

Well I have it in hand and my initial reaction is that most are going to be very pleased. A couple things I have noticed right out the gate.

It got warmer than I'm used to seeing as I installed all the apps and set it up. Not alarmingly so, but warmer than I'm used to.
    The screen is gorgeous and this thing just smokes the previous mini speed wise. It also doesn't have that hollow "thunk" that the regular iPad has when typing on the screen. I guess because it's laminated.

Couldn't activate LTE yet. AT&T says it's not in their systems. Check back Friday.

If you have a third party case for you older mini, it will likely fit, However most of them block the microphone port at least partially since it seems to be a in a slightly different location.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    wytn, JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Two factors in addition to the pen making me lean toward the expense of a new Mini 5 over a refurbished Mini 4. Congratulations on yours.

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

Thanks. Well it's actually my wife's but since I'm also her IT guy I had first crack at it, :)

I will say though, the pencil support, form factor and display quality have me reconsidering some choices.

The display is good enough to make me dump my kindle. I'm thinking with Microsoft's actually usable RDP app and logitechs rumored keyboard case. Possibly I could get to a two device solution again with a mini and my SB2.

PS: I already think I like the mini-pencil combo better for notes and pdfs than I do the go with it's pen. It just feel more "precision" for lack of a better way to put it.

Just thinking about it though and want to wait a bit until the "shiny new tech object" appeal fades a bit.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So....last week my local Apple Store told me they would have the new Mini in today. Shuffled my schedule so I would have today mostly free, got to my Apple Store around 11am today.......and they told me they didn't have it today....but tomorrow they would. Kind of disappointing....but there was a nearby Best Buy......I stopped in.....and they had it.

I was set to trade in my 9.7 iPad Pro to the Apple Store since they would have given me $189 for it......but the rest of the week would be a nightmare to make it to the Apple Store.....so I traded in my 9.7 Pro to Best Buy instead....only got $175 back.....I'll survive the $14 difference.

So out I walked with the Space Grey.....256GB iPad Mini 5. I was going to get the 64GB model....but after clearing out my 9.7 inch Pro....which I've had since 2016 (my how time flies) I realized for everything I used it for....the 32GB of space I had in the Pro did become an issue on many occasions where I had to delete files or apps to make room for other stuff. And given how long I had the Pro 9.7 for.....If I expect a 2+ year constant use of the Mini......Having the 256GB storage option seemed the smarter overall choice for me in the long run. (Especially when locally saved PSD and Clip Studio files start piling up.)

I also plunked down the $69 for Best Buys Apple Care protection that would cover 2 accidental breaks. I never had an issue with my 9.7 inch Pro....but factoring the increased mobility and day to day use this Mini will get compared to my Pro 9.7......it seemed like a decent investment.....especially since this is the pricer model. Already had the Pencil.....bought on Amazon a new case for the Mini with an included Pencil Slot in the spine for $15ish....but it won't arrive till early April....and the quality of the case could end up lacking....so I also sprung for a $30 Targus Case to hold me over till the Amazon/Pencil case arrives.

And I plunked down the 1-year $25 subscription for Clip Studio....as much as I hate paying for 1-year what the Desktop build costed me to keep......it is better then $10 a month. So yeah....overall....very expensive day for me.

But so far I love the size of the device.....screen is beautiful....Pencil works great.....I can say I am a happy camper at the moment.

wytn, bloodycape, Marty and 3 others like this.