iPad-like Apps on HP Slate - would you use them - do you want them?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Dec 2, 2010.

1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I never said 'restricted'. :)

I see apps doing one kind of thing and applications doing another. I don't see it as 'either or' but 'and / where appropriate'.

2. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

How about....

A MultiTouch Textbook eReader/Annotator!

A lot of scanned/online textbooks are only available as CHM files (Microsoft's help file format) to preserve contents, linking, and indexes or available as PDF files. A multitouch friendly reader, complete with pinch zooming, text re-flow, 2 finger scrolling, and ability to ink annotations (these can be stored in a separate file, but should be opened with the CHM/PDF file) would be a HUGE hit. Granted PDF annotators already exist (but they don't allow for the zooming, reflow, and scrolling) so PDF support isn't necessarily crucial, but CHM support would be awesome, as there are really no good touch friendly readers and there are absolutely no programs that allow ink annotation.

3. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

That was my take on it. I was thinking more in terms of other devices where (if you're a basic user at least) you are restricted to using apps.

4. TheWerewolf

Really? I didn't know that - it's even weirder since Microsoft has been phasing out CHM... How about ePub support?

5. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Back to the Original Poster, check out this site:

How To Run Android OS inside windows

It shows (allegedly - I haven't tried it) how to run Android inside Windows and the same technique should/could work with WinPhone7.

6. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, its strange but people continue to put even new texts into CHM format, I guess because it is essentially a zipped HTML file, so its easy. So popular in fact that iOS, Android, and even Maemo have several CHM readers available. Curiously I haven't seen many textbooks in ePub format, just CHM and PDF. But I definitely have quite a few novels in ePub, so extra formats are always appreciated. There are some open source CHM readers referenced on the Microsoft Compiled HTML Help - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. None have touch/multitouch support and some are hardcoded to handle files no larger than 20 or MB since the programs are older ones written when PCs were much slower.

7. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Sorry to hop in on this discussion from left field but I thought it worth sharing the little bit I have on the subject:

Intel has been trying to get in on the "App" craze with their PC/Atom application platform AppUp.

dceggert, I almost agree with the categorization scheme you posted on page 2 except I don't think it's necessary to separate "Tablet" from "Pad". I think a fully-featured device capable of creation as well as consumption is a "Tablet PC" and any consumption device or device using a "walled garden" OS is just a "Pad".

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. TheWerewolf

Works for Android because there's an x86 version of it and they make a Live distro. WP7 is based on Windows CE which is ARM only and you'd have to do a LOT to make it work - way beyond porting Android to x86. It would be easier to install the WP7 emulator.

9. TheWerewolf

Well, then I'll definitely add CHM support. It shouldn't be that difficult.

10. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a list of some iPad games that were ported to PC. All of them work almost like in the iPad in any PC with optimized touch:
    -Flight Control
    -Plants vs Zombies
    -World of Goo
    -Zuma's Revenge

And what about the "Tab" :p