iPad-like Apps on HP Slate - would you use them - do you want them?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Dec 2, 2010.

1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Can's say I'm really interested in any sort of GUI overlay on Windows 7. I'm so glad they don't include touchsmart even. I plan on keeping my slate fairly plane vanilla Windows 7.

2. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Hmmm.. That is a lot like what I was looking to do - except that they don't support existing apps and they don't use the same model for apps that WP7 does - which means the same problem as ExoPC... nice UI - no one will ever develop for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

From my perspective, the problem with most of the 'nice' touch interfaces available today (e.g. iOS, Thinix Touch, WP7, etc.) is that they're all application-oriented, whereby my work habits tend to be content-oriented. For example, I never open up MS Word and then open a file - I navigate to the folder for my current project and then click on the Word doc. The types of content that I need access to include files, docs, email messages, web sites, etc. I'd love to see a GUI that focuses on the content instead of the applications - something that would let me create project 'folders' and dump all the various content types related to a single project into a single container.

That's why I pretty much use OneNote for my desktop, but even that has limitations (have you ever tried navigating through hundreds of emails in a single page in OneNote?)

John

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I don't see why there would be a problem. I've been using that for years. The only thing I don't like is that input is not as quick as on a physical calculator.

5. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I actually agree with you.

I've noted in the past that things like the iPad and such are intentionally dumbed down to make it easier for the general public, which is fine, but some people (apparently like most of the people here ;) ) want the power of a full system even if it means having to put a bit more effort into using it.

I have found though, that some tasks are simple and repetitive and having them all in one place with a solid touch experience can make them easier. Like having a lock screen that shows you the time, what email you have, your next appointments etc. So, I can see the benefit of a 'default' front that does simple things but still lets you get to your real apps for the heavy lifting.

Then again, perhaps this kind of thing just isn't appropriate for this market.

I guess I just got tired of reading all the 'experts' tell me that Windows can't be used on a slate... when I've been doing it for years. :)

6. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Ahah, I see where you are going with this. I missed the whole smart phone thing while I was still busy trying to make my PDA work for real things. I actually *like* the front screen on the PDA and it is something I miss using the tablets.

As for not liking the whole 'Win 7 is not for Tablets' thing, well, back when the forums were working over at Gottabemobile the community actually figured out how to deal with the differentiation:

TabletPC - what we used to know here as 'tablets', 'slates', etc. You use a pen to write on it, make things, create things, generate documents, and track things. Win 7 is perfect.

Tablet - a 'new' term, not the same as you or I understand it to be. The mainstream media has created this term based on what they believe to be what a tablet is based on the marketing hype they believe to be true. This is a small tablet used as a glorified e-reader, web browser, subscription toting, app buying deivce. General entertainment and revenue stream maker. Win 7 is NOT a good UI for this device.

Pad - an electronic notepad that doesn't really do much in terms of user creation. This is almost a 'tablet' but even more dumbed down. A big print phone, not even a smartphone. Win 7 is NOT a good UI for this device either.

The only thing we do not have is what a touchscreen netbook is. Right now it fits in between a TabletPC and a Tablet based on the above definition, but it really should be a 4th term..a TabletBook maybe? Naw, that sounds dumb...

8. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I don't know about iPad-style apps, but I think anything that brings out the benefits of this style of computer is a good thing, even if it's a simplification of what more experienced users would rather use.

9. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly. You can do so much more when you're not restricted to 'apps' and even if it is a bit more effort it's worth it.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry, but I'm leery just now of adding anything that might slow the system down. Inevitable M$oft crud and fluff (after every update it seems) grinds teh system down enough. Adding a touch interface is bound to gum up the works even more. It's also part of my reason for buying this thin - I wanted to get away from the phonecentric OS of the iPad and back to a true computer OS.