iPad-like Apps on HP Slate - would you use them - do you want them?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I've been working on porting the Window Phone 7 shell to Windows 7 along with trying to make existing Windows Phone 7 apps work on Windows 7.

This would give us what looks like a touchscreen friendly UI that anyone could write applications for.

My questions to you all are:

Would you use this?

There have been attempts at this kind of thing before, but they almost all fail because in the end, we prefer using our full feature apps - that's why we buy Windows 7 slates instead of 'dumbed down' slates like the iPad or Android.

Still, a lot of the time, we just want to do something simple and quick and for that the iPad 'dumbapp' approach works.

What apps would you use (or want to see)?

Clearly, I can't write everything - there are 10s of thousands of apps on the Apple app store and Google Android store. I think I can make this thing run a lot of the Windows Phone 7 apps directly because they use Silverlight which is platform independent (mostly).

But it would be good start off with a solid set of apps that most people would find useful. Some of the ones I've had suggested are:

• Email client
    • Alarm clock
    • eBook reader
    • Comic reader
    • Simplified web browser
    • Weather app
    • A good calculator
    • Photo gallery
    • Notepad
    • Contacts
    • Calendar

Other suggestions?

OH, BTW, this shell would be free and probably open sourced and would look a lot like Windows Phone 7's Metro UI.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing I plan on trying out is HP calculator software that emulates their standalone calculators. Hopefully that will work well on the Slate.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Interesting idea and project. I do not have a touch freindly slate yet (mine are all Wacom pen activated except for the Fujitsu P1620), but what I can envision is a shortcut launcher similar to RocketDock only one that does not shrink or minimize when there is no pen hovering over it. In fact, check that launcher shell out as it could be configured to stay large all the time and provide a shortcut shell.

The only time I personally would like touch to work as opposed to using a pen is when I am in the car listening to music. I would like to be able to fire up a music player, window through the pages of songs, and then make a selection. Other than that I am not sure I have a strong need to use touch at all.

4. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Anything like the UI of ExoPC? Is that what you are talking about?

5. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The big attraction for phone OSs is that they are designed to be always running and instant on. If you ported the Windows Phone 7 OS to the x86 as a dual boot option, that might be useful, but once you have to wait for Win7 to load, even from hibernation, much of the user experience of Windows Phone 7 will be lost.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, that's why Windows has a so called sleep mode, which is an instant on with Windows 7 desktop OS.
    So the only advantage mobile OS have, they are optimized for touch.
    The disadvantages however are huge, no powerful software, no good multitasking, ...

I think, if you have Outlook, there's absolutely no need for a eMail 'app', the same with OneNote/InkSeine/... and and a notepad. The same with others.
    Calculators, better get some emulator and use an emulated graphic calc, like one of the Texas Instruments, or really classy, an emulated HP RPN calc.
    Also take a look at the FAQ in my signature, there's a list of tablet PC software.

For a lot of other things, you can take a look at this great post:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/34578-awesome-touch-friendly-desktop.html
    It uses a software called Rainmeter, which allows you to give you a touch optimized desktop.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Long time lurker with a Slate on the way, but this thread was my motivation to finally register. I think DaveP hits on what I see as the best possible config for the Slate. Win 7 and OneNote with me during the workday, reboot to a light mobile OS when I take the Slate home to play with.

TheWerewolf: Unless you want to preserve some functionality of Win 7 within your shell, maybe it would be worth looking at Android x86 as something to deliver the kind of functionality you're talking about? It's nowhere near ready for prime time, but it's getting there in the builds I've tested on a Virtual Machine, and I'm interested in trying to get it up and running on the Slate once it finally gets here.

8. TheWerewolf

No.. that's not what we're trying to do here. The problem with Android is that you'd have to dual boot (or run a VM). This is for people who want quick access to an easy to use touch oriented system within Windows - not a replacement for it.

9. TheWerewolf

Outlook is not particularily well suited for touch use. Most Windows apps aren't. The idea here isn't to replace your apps, but to provide a 'quick app' environment that's geared to simple features. So the email client wouldn't replace Outlook - it would give you a simpler interface to it that you can use with touch systems.

At any time you can always minimise the UI and be right back in normal Windows.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. TheWerewolf

Kind of, but the Exo UI isn't freely available for other slates and there's no standard development platform for it. So it has a limited market and it's unlikely a lot of people develop for it.

What I'm doing is based on WP7's system so you can use free, sophisticated development tools from Microsoft to build apps that would run on this system or on Windows Phones too.