iPad 4 Coming Sooner than Expected? Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Ryan Punzalan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ryan Punzalan

Ryan Punzalan Scribbler - Standard Member Reviewer

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"The iPad 3 will come with a 1,536 x 2,048-pixel display and extended battery life"

Come on Acer/Toshiba/Sony/Dell.... ley your first Windows 8 tablet releases be ground smacking amazing and out 'tech' apple. Sure, obviously, it'll cost you more but your company NAME will be in peoples hands.

P.s. They might as well release iPads as fast as they used to release graphics cards a few years back :)

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, I kind of wonder, the iPad is selling very well, much faster than it's competitors and Apple kind of sticks to yearly releases as it makes buying decisions more predictable for their customers. They might want to push up the iPad 4 for counter Windows 8 but I wouldn't expect this to be the norm over time.

4. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

I'm extremely skeptical about the October release. As noted in the article, the DigiTimes is not the most reliable news source. They cover the component makers in Taiwan, so they they do nail it on occasion, however. Either way, it's an interesting thought.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be a fantastic time to release a fourth ipad just as Windows 8 hits,

"I got myself a new tablet made by x"
    "Oh yeah, what's it got?"
    "This and this and this (same old tired oem hardware"
    "Ohh man that sucks and my iPad4 has a 1,536 x 2,048 screen and 10 hour battery"
    "Damn"

Cha-ching and everyone follows

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure if there really is going to be a resolution increase [there is a quick Blurb on Rugged PC Review about a projected increase in the number f Higher res 10" screens]; if there is there is I can see why they (Apple and friends) want to push it out there; about half their market has been sorta half-dead (apps and the app store: after the initial release things slowed down and now that there has been a bit of time people have either rooted or jailbroken their devices and not buying the apps because its expensive and not cool so they get them through other means; while the few that still a) use their device and b) buy apps are the relatively small number of outliers) and the other half is always up and down with the subsequent releases (the hardware of it, ie: the physical devices and whatever accessories they can think of; first there is a huge rush for everyone and their grandma to get one, then not)... increasing the resolution will require a redoubling of efforts for developers to port their apps and make new ones for the higher res screen, then people will once again be buying the hardware and apps, then it'll go into a lull again, and right around then the 'magical' iPad X will be out to kick-start the cycle of: buy, 'use', ignore, discard, repeat [not sure what iPad X would bring to the table though, certainly not actual usability because that would kill off chances of future iterations]... Yay! throw away society ahoy!

Well I guess its inevitable to just keep upgrading the iPad as anything else on Apple's behalf won't be seen as very cool or revolutionary without the Steve Jobs spin on things...

I don't even get the draw of useless devices like the ipad and similar entertainment tablets, they have functionality for [some] movies, [some] music, [some] game playing, [some] web browsing, and [some, almost no] document/ content creation or interaction, most just have touch screens and not even the option for a pen [and those that have a pen can't really use it properly]... but I guess that's why [most] people that have them don't really use them either, because even they can't find much use for them :rolleyes:

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, both my inlaws have one each, and they love them. They browse the internet on them while lounging together in the living room instead of being chained to their (very old) desktop. They watch streaming video cartoons, etc. with my daughter in their laps. They send out emails. They use them as their kindles and ereaders.

The truth is that they use the Ipad exactly as its meant to be used. And its really really easy to use, has a beautiful screen, runs cool, has good battery life, is relatively light, and is very thin. They love their Ipads, and I think it was a good choice for them.

I don't want an Ipad myself, but I see the functionality of it for the right market, without a doubt.