iOS Update kharma

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Bishop, Oct 2, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

One nice thing about the iOS update is that safari now supports pull-to-reload. Very intuitive. I also like that we can swipe between tabs. So far I'm pretty happy.

Chris_Kez, Bishop and Eltos like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Both of which I can do with Samsung Internet browser. :p

Eltos likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

It also supports drag and drop between split screen apps. Very easy to drag browser images and drop them into OneNote.

Yes, there is much to like.

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Also an existing feature of Samsung Internet browser.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll shut up now.

Bishop and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

I might even be able to use some of the split screen stuff, because it's now (gasp) discoverable! There's a little three dot handle at the top which when tapped offers split screen arrangement options. Nice.

(all of which @dellaster can do in his Samsung internet browser!!!!)

Chris_Kez, crazycat, Bronsky and 2 others like this.
  6. JoeS

Got hit by update karma last night. Apple changed the simple do not disturb (DND) function to "focus modes". So first off all, now when I go to sleep I need to focus. That seems stressful. :)

But secondly, iOS is now prompting me whether I want "enable time sensitive notifications". I don't know! Will they break through DND? If I say no, will I never see them again? There's no further info with the prompts. Pretty frustrating, I had to do a freaking web search to be able to comfortably go to sleep. In a focused manner.

desertlap and dellaster like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

And I’ve made that selection over and over and over again. It keeps coming up.

JoeS likes this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Btw, I think Focus is a fantastic new feature. I love it. It's like Do Not Disturb on steroids. I can do all sorts of things with it that allow me to separate the work aspects of my phone from my personal life. This is big news for me as the owner of a sole prop. Work just invades everything. But Focus has allowed me to do a variety of very particular and granular things. I can-
    -put all my work apps on one page, and then have that page be hidden in the evenings and on weekends
    -I can set it up so that only certain people (my Favorites, or selected contacts, or just all my already existing contacts) be able to ring through in off hours.
    -I can allow only certain apps to send me notifications after hours
    -I can stop notifications from appearing on my lockscreen
    -I can set it to be for evenings and weekends or both, so it can be quite granular

This has literally changed the way I run my phone, and how it integrates with my personal life. It's basically like having two phones. Now I can have the Google Mail app just for my work email and Google Voice for my work calls, but then have it visually go away 100% on off hours, and have none of those calls or texts or emails come through to me as a notification-- except they do during work hours. That is HUGE.

I still wish I could just 100% delete Safari, which it won't let me do. I still wish I could Google Maps as my default map app, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with this update.

Chris_Kez, JoeS and Bishop like this.
  9. JoeS

Agreed! Simple example: I can finally have different DND hours on the weekend.

The big annoyance is that they didn't automatically port my DND settings, so a text woke me up at 1am. And second, it seems like you're getting bombarded with prompts about this feature even if you just want your DND behavior back. So now I need to study to get something that I already had. Infuriating/first world problems. :)

If they had added advanced features while making sure everything keeps working as before by default, I'd have been happy.

Bishop likes this.
  10. JoeS

OK I’ll say it, despite the many nice new features, iOS 15 has been the most annoying iOS update that I can remember. Usually iOS would just quietly keep doing it’s thing, while adding new (undiscoverable..) features. This time around many features are very discoverable, because they’re getting in the f***ing way.

Case in point: some floaty toolbar blocking UI elements in Signal. There’s nothing indicating what it is, long press doesn’t offer an option “disable this annoyance”. It’s the freaking focus mode all over again. Once more I need to do a web search to get iOS back to an operational state. The solution for this annoyance: go to Settings > General > Keyboard, and then disable “Shortcuts”. Breathe JoeS, breathe.. 1… 2… 3…

Eltos and Bishop like this.