iOS Update kharma

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Bishop, Oct 2, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know. We just installed it on our lab Mini Gen 6 to confirm that it fixed a layout bug with one of our custom apps that Apple told us was addressed, and discovered a few other fixes while we were verifying. My folks will do a deeper dive on multiple devices, next week.

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Another reason I keep almost nothing in iCloud.

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

The Android Kindle app was partially broken for nearly two months before Amazon fixed it yesterday. Your library wouldn't completely show up, often only the last ebook or three you read/downloaded. You had to either restart (not the app, the whole phone) or reinstall the app to get your library to show up... then it would go away again next time. Hundreds (thousands?) of complaints in the ratings yet it took that long for Amazon to fix?! It's like we need to wait a few days then read the comments for bug reports before updating anything. :rolleyes:

Nothing except backups that I have elsewhere in multiple always-accessable devices (SD cards, hard drives).

Bishop likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Out of curiosity, do my photos on my iphone get scanned even if I don't sync them with icloud? I sync my contacts and such with icloud, which is essential if one loses a phone, but not a whole lot else. It's more for logistical reasons (I don't want to pay for a subscription, and so my icloud backups have to be less than 5gb), but this new detail makes my accidental choice more compelling.

Bishop likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I'm not the technical expert, but I understood the articles to say Apple was scanning iCloud. Happy to be better informed.

6. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

The only thing I know is that Apple pinky swears that the fingerprint data is not sent to Cupertino if the same images are not also on iCloud. So they may or may not do the local tagging and indexing, but no reporting afaik.
    The scanning is done locally, of pictures that are ALSO on iCloud. Then when there's several matches to bad stuff (I think like 8? or 10? matching images), Apple gets info on those images and reports them to a third party. I mean it's all really well thought out. I still hate it though.

Eh.. so to make this on-topic, this is another reason why I have turned off auto iOS updates.

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So first of, Apple hasn't actually implemented it yet, likely due to the blowback they've gotten.

As to how it will actually work, that's our legal experts understanding as well, for somewhat arcane and convoluted legal reasons including protections on search and seizure and also jurisdiction both of physical location and relevant law enforcement.

In other words when it hits the servers that it becomes a federal offense.

And also the way secure enclave works, your fingerprint or face scan is only on the phone itself and is itself encrypted.

8. JoeS

TBH I think they're just waiting for the storm to blow over, at which point they'll turn it back on to less outrage. Rinse and repeat if needed. Even if the effect is the same as with services that scan your uploaded content ('only uploaded content is fair game'), if feels much more invasive that your phone itself is scanning your stuff for illegal stuff. Plus the slippery slope implications. Anyway, we had this discussion elsewhere, glad to hear it's off for now. Maybe I'll can install iOS 15 after all (phone bricked in 3... 2... ).

Eltos and desertlap like this.
  9. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

This is why I sold my macbook m1, as well as my iPhone 12 Pro Max and ended up solely in surface pro 7 land with a pixel 5a.

You know people make fun of Microsoft and Google, but they would NEVER attempt a process which involves scanning a phone without the user's ability to shut it off or control it. Especially with Android 12...haven't really missed any of it to be honest.

dellaster and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS

Respect! I'm just whining online while keeping all my Apple stuff.. :oops: Too addicted to Apple watch and Apple fitness.

Back on topic, indeed the new iOS widgets pushed a couple of apps to the next screen. I am FURIOUS! :mad: @Bishop

:D

Eltos and Bishop like this.