iOS Update kharma

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Bishop, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Did you ever consider:
    • A feeling of dread when the notification badge pops up with an update?
    • A point .01 update is 600 friggin’ MBs?
    • It takes six times as long to “prepare” the update as to actually download it?
    • The cumulative number of human lifetimes consumed around the world by all those end users - just waiting?
    • iOS will remember what apps you were running before the update but refuses to save the choices you’ve already made 9 times not to use some of Apple’s latest and greatest features?
    • The needs of the widgets outweigh the needs of the icons?
    Perhaps, in a just hereafter, there is a purgatory for programmers who consume so much of so many end users days and nights. May it last just as long.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

My immediate thought to reading that statement is that logic dictates...
    [​IMG]

dstrauss, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, I turned of automatic app updates because I thought it was a little silly to install tens of 0.1-0.4GB updates every week. Maybe I don't need to be on the absolute latest version.. So instead of auto updates occasionally I do an "update all" in the app store.

Case in point, right now I have 37 apps that have an update available. They roughly add up to (please hold) 5.2 GB!! That's an average of 140MB per app, that's like a hundred 3.5" floppies. :eek::p Full disclosure, I'm not 100% sure if iOS downloads the whole listed app size or if it's downloading much smaller delta updates. Shoutout to Cs Music Player at 3.1 MB. :)

dellaster, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  4. Bishop

+1. Same here.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

IMHO, they all are bad. We are in the era where there is no such thing as "finished" when it comes to either OS or Apps. Now it seems we are stuck with "we hope this is good enough that the majority won't complain...too much anyway":(

My professor that taught me Fortran in school (yes I'm that old...) would have been appalled at the unfinished state of most modern apps.

And while it's orders of magnitudes better than it used to be, OS updates still can go south as happened to my Fold yesterday.

I was in the office for a change, and saw that it was wanting to install the September security patch. I went ahead and said ok, and about 10 minutes later, the phone made an odd beep sound, not one I'd heard before.

When I picked it up, it was seemingly totally bricked and wouldn't appear to ever power up, but just briefly lit up the display and then went dark.

Long story short, I had to use ADB to recover the phone and that meant that I was for all intents and purposes where I would be if I did a factory reset. So instead of doing what I had planned, I spent most of the morning getting my phone back to where it started the morning at.

Fortunately I was in the office with access to my PC or I'd have been toast.

TLDR, I turned the setting from auto-update, to notify me.

dstrauss, Marty, dellaster and 2 others like this.
  6. Bishop

What a bummer. Glad you were able to recover.

+1 on the horrible Q/A with software. All that automation and this is the best we can get.

dellaster and desertlap like this.
  7. JoeS

Exacerbated by the fact that many app developers dump wasteful ad frameworks/libraries into their app. I wonder how much of that stuff is duplicated on a typical user's device.
    Reminds me of that lovely Sunday I spent inside trying to get back to a working PC. Not OS update related, similar unexpected waste of time. My commiserations!

Bishop and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

Thanks,

What annoys the engineer part of me is that I have no clue what happened. After I got it running again, it was running with the new security update. And because it's my primary device, I'm super careful on what I install on it eg, no beta (even our own) or for that matter anything that I don't actually use on a regular basis.

So I guess a bit flip?

Back on topic, the 15.01 update that Apple released yesterday does fix the watch wake bug, but also fixes a handful of glitches in the OS that they don't go in to details about such as widgets not updating and some layout issues in 3rd party apps (cough-adobe-cough). So in this case it's a good idea to update.

Bishop likes this.
  9. desertlap

More than most realize and Adobe that I just mentioned in my other post, is one of the worst offenders especially on Android where every single one of their apps has a bunch of the same app libraries, duplicated when if you had more than one Adobe app installed they could/should be able to share.

On our lab Tab S7 which basically has every Adobe app installed on it, by our calculations, there is almost a GB of duplicated stuff

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

Does the 15.01 update include the li'l snitch module? Not that I have anything to hide, but man, I really dislike the notion of a scanner rummaging through my phone and sending report cards back to some committee in Cupertino.