iOS 11 Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Today is the official release of iOS 11 for iPad. Anyone with a recent Apple tablet (or phone) can go to Settings > General > Software Update to begin the over-the-air installation process.

Just make sure you have a supported device. Fortunately, the list is long, and contains all Apple’s recent iPads:
    • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2015)
    • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2017)
    • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
    • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
    • iPad (2017)
    • iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad mini 3
    • iPad mini 2
    The tablets not on this list have 32-bit processors and will never be able to install iOS 11, which requires a 64-bit CPU.

2. Ed Hardy

After releasing iOS 11.0.1 last week, Apple has now followed with iOS 11.0.2 for iPad, iPhone, and iPod. This continues the process of removing bugs from the new version that debuted in September.

According to the official changelog, the problems taken care of are:
    • Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
    • Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
    • Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open
    To install iOS 11.0.2, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

DE1588AF-E0A3-4573-97FE-B796EA0A4799.jpeg

3. Ed Hardy

Apple has settled into a pattern of releasing small updates once a week to fix the myriad bugs in iOS 11. This week's offering is iOS 11.0.3.

According to the official changelog:

iOS 11.0.3 includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad. This update:
    • Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices
    • Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not serviced with genuine Apple parts

Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.​

iOS-11.0.3-Update.jpg

To install iOS 11.0.3, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, this is a little embarrassing. The fact that the bugs are bad enough to need such quick fixes. A friend got her first iPhone two weeks before iOS 11. She's been installing updates ever since. Not a great user experience, and it's teaching people to wait, aka to not install updates.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Still a bit to go before they reach Windowsian proportions, no?

6. Ed Hardy

iOS 11.1 has been released for iPad, iPhone, etc.. This includes some new emojis and bug fixes, but the real reason it's being introduced is because it's required by the iPhone X, which is also debuting.

iOS 11-1 Update.jpg

To install iOS 11.1, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

7. Ed Hardy

iOS 11.1.1 has been released to fix the keyboard bug in iOS 11.1 that converted i into an unreadable "A[?]" symbol.

20171110_170217000_iOS.png

To install iOS 11.1.1, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. Ed Hardy

And here is iOS 11.1.2 to fix a couple of small bugs with the iPhone X. iPad owners might hold off installing it.

iOS 11-1-2.JPG

To install iOS 11.1.2, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

9. Ed Hardy

iOS 11.2 has been rushed out to deal with a serious restart bug affecting the iPhone. For iPad users, the big change in the new version is "Apple Pay Cash to send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay," according to Apple.

Other bugs fixed in iOS 11.2 include:
    • Adds support for faster wireless charging on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X with compatible third-party accessories
    • Introduces three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X
    • Improves video camera stabilization
    • Adds support in Podcasts to automatically advance to the next episode from the same show
    • Adds support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance as a data type
    • Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete
    • Fixes an issue that could cause cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear
    • Improves stability in Calendar
    • Resolves an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen
    • Fixes an issue that could prevent swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen
    • Addresses an issue that could prevent Music controls from displaying on the Lock Screen
    • Fixes an issue that could cause app icons to be arranged incorrectly on the Home Screen
    • Addresses an issue that could prevent users from deleting recent photos when iCloud storage is exceeded
    • Addresses an issue where Find My iPhone sometimes wouldn’t display a map
    • Fixes an issue in Messages where the keyboard could overlap the most recent message
    • Fixes an issue in Calculator where typing numbers rapidly could lead to incorrect results
    • Addressed an issue where the keyboard could respond slowly
    • Adds support for real-time text (RTT) phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Improves VoiceOver stability in Messages, Settings, App Store, and Music
    • Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from announcing incoming Notifications
    To install iOS 11.2, go to Settings > General > Software Update, or connect the iOS device to a laptop or desktop running iTunes.

iOS 11-2.jpg

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

This bug bit me hard several times while I was camp hosting in Big Sur, CA, recently. The money collected wasn’t matching the number of campers, extra cars, and firewood sold as written on my clipboard. And each time the tally would come out differently. I thought it was my aging brain finally giving out so I’d calculate on my iPhone really slowly and carefully. That always worked, so it seemed to confirm an onset of dementia or something.

Thanks, Apple! :rolleyes:

Ed Hardy and Kumabjorn like this.