internet usage Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by lowlife, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

Hi,

Does any have this issue:

I have the broadband version of the Lenovo tablet 2. I spend 90% of my time in a WiFi area, but really need internet 100% of the time. The problem that I have is that the tablet is using 1+ gigs AT&T of data sporadically. For example last night it register 750mb. This morning it measured 1.9gb usage. The broadband is metered so it should not be downloading any updates plus it was on WiFi the entire time anyway. Any ideas?

I love the idea of Windows 8, but the daily crashing is becoming disheartening, now I have data waste

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I assume that you have your Broadband Network setting so that it doesn't "Connect automatically"?

For example, I'm using the Lenovo SIM card that was supplied with my TPT2. Here, in The Netherlands, that uses the Dutch KPN telecom network to provide Internet access when needed. But I have it set up so that when I want to connect via Broadband, I initiate it via the Lenovo Mobile Access App. That is the equivalent of manual connection, when I need it. So I have my network settings without the "Connect automatically" set:

Network.jpg

That way, I don't get nasty surprises.

BTW, what are these "daily crashes" that you mention? I'm not seeing these at all...

3. lowlife

I went ahead and took a page out of your book and unchecked the automatically connect button. It’s just that I am not accustomed to doing that because all of my other tablets work fine with internet always connected. I have been doing this for about 4 years now, starting with the Ipad 1. The issue that I have is that it has an option for metering to prevent exactly that type of usage.

Regarding the crashes, an app freezes daily on mine.

Slacker
    Music
    Screen will not light up but I can see it is dimmed

Or the tablet will not wake up and I have to plug it into the power outlet to get it going. Yesterday for example I picked it up to use the internet and the broadband was not visible (as if it did not have a sim card in it).

The funny part is that I had many of these same problems with the initial release of the Ipad 1 and they eventually sorted with updates. I love this tablet and hope the same will happen. The other option is that I got a lemon and need to get rid of it before my return window closes.

Writing out my problems makes me feel like returning it :confused:

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you have it set as a metered connection? if not windows might be downloading updates which can be pretty large. My ATT connection on my tpt2 is pretty good so far, no huge usage like yours.

5. lowlife

Yes, its on metered. That's why I'm confused.

6. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had most of the same issues on my TPT2. The screen lock up issues have been mostly fixed for me with the firmware update which the system update utility installed a couple of weeks ago. I've also had the same bandwidth issue over metered connections. I'm not sure what caused it but it has mainly disappeared.

I run my tablet with the minimum apps installed in both metro and desktop and somewhere along the line i removed the app that was chewing up bandwidth. Lots of apps don't check if they are on a metered connection (the Skydrive desktop app for example).

7. lowlife

I think the problem is the way this tablet uses the internet. I started monitoring it and every website I clicked on required 2-3mb. I'm totally stumped as to why that is.

8. rolandsayegh

rolandsayegh Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, i need your help, i bought the thinkpad tablet 2 from the us and came down to lebanon, i'm inserting my sim card to activate the mobile broadband.
    where can i find the mobile broadband to activate it, i tried in the wireless connections and i only see my WIFI.
    is there a specific way to enable the broadband connection?

9. Chromedome

Chromedome Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you 100% sure you have the model with 3G included? If you click on [Settings], [Network] it will show you the options you have (like in gcoupe's screen shot above).
    With my TPT2 on this screen it just prompted me to insert a SIM card. If yours doesn't show this, it may not have the 3G card on board. :(

Hope this helps

CD (UK)

10. rolandsayegh

rolandsayegh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply, but if i can insert a 3g SIM card won't this model supports the sim ? :( I'm hoping it would be a software issue :S
    My Lenovo number is thinkpad tablet 2 367927U.
    Appreciate your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.