Internet Explorer freezing...a lot

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by drshakawa, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you using a clean install of Vista or is it the stock HP installation. I noticed on the stock install, IE always had problems opening a link in a new tab. It would hang for a few seconds while opening the tab. This is most likely due to an add-on(yahoo toolbar, hp web print) not properly installed/uninstalled or just plain buggy. Try running IE in no add-on mode(Start-All Programs-Accessories-System tools). If it fixes the problem then try to isolate the add-on by going through the list of installed add-on's and disabling them. If you don't want to go through all of this then try resetting IE back to default state.

2. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using IE all day long. In tablet mode too. I have added google tool bar. I was using yahoo and had that tool bar and recently removed it. I have three tabs load everytime I load IE. I am not having *any* probelms. Maybe once in a while it will seem to take too long for it to load. But if I close the window and reopen it bam! it comes right up.

I am using my Tablet as it was shipped with only a few programs deleted and a bunch of new and old sftware installed. Do you have 32bit or 64bit Vista? I have two pcs. My desktop runs 32bit and the tablet has 64bit. I run IE 32 bit on both. There were some things I like to use that weren't supported in IE for the 64bit.

I have installed Firefox and Safari just so I can check them out. Not super impressed. There are some things in each program that just don't work for me. Like the finger print log in and I had to install something to get the Inking to work in Firefox. Safari has pages that just say they won't load or that they don't fully support the browser. But I am still willing to check them out and give them the benefit of the doubt.

As far as your problem with IE7. Not really sure. I find that you can get corrupted files that hang around in the Temp Dir if your system crashes. It can cause big slow downs and problems if you crash while browsing. So... try to empty your Temp Dir.

3. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably caused by your anti-virus software.

IE works fine here, even with 2GB.

4. carpandean

carpandean Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the day I purchased mine (tx2510us), IE would randomly freeze ("Not Responding" error) when opening or when clicking a link. This included using two different AV programs (came with Norton, which I deleted and installed ZoneAlarm), so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm also running 3 GB of memory and seriously doubt that has anything to do with it.

A Google search showed lots of people having similar issues across various platforms, AV programs, etc, with the one constant being Vista. I haven't, however, found a solution that has been agreed upon as a universal fix.

I run FireFox except for logging into a the wireless net at school -- it brings up a login page when you open IE and a not found page when you open FF -- and even then, I use FF after logging in. There are a few things that I don't like as much about FF, but it's less frustrating than not responding.

An interesting side note is that if I right-click on a link in IE and choose "open link in new tab", I never had a problem.

5. drshakawa

drshakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

i tried removing all the add ons on IE but it still does it from time to time. i dont think it's my antivirus because i removed the norton and swtiched to symnatec and there was a time where i didnt have any on and it was still freezing. im not sure if its memory cuz i have a 3gb and my old hp dv6000 was a 2gb and i never had this problem.

i might try reinstalling IE, prolly should have done that before i reinstalled all of my IE add-ons cuz now im not looking forward to it. but i'll see

6. Crito

Probably your network drivers/connections then.

7. carpandean

carpandean Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know much about the technical details of network connections, but it happened to me at two different schools as well as home, and when connected either to wireless or with a hard wire.

8. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

I had similar problem before, & a few days ago I tried installing IE8, & it works better, though the freezing is still there, & then I tried using tools>internet option>advanced>reset yesterday & it seems the freezing disapeared for the moment. Maybe resetting the IE might correct the freezing.

9. Crito

Did you update any drivers? I'm not having any such problems with Vista or IE, but one of the first things I did was update drivers I downloaded from HP's support site. I haven't installed any optional drivers from Windows Update though. If you're still using default drivers or the optional ones from MS, maybe that's the difference, or maybe not... lol

10. drshakawa

drshakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

I reset IE and ever since I havent had any problems. It doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure if it's actually fixed. But so far so good. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.