Interesting idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kruuzer10

kruuzer10 Pen Pal - Newbie

While pondering my masters thesis, the thought hit me that to go truly paperless (like some people are trying to do, see also the paperless challenge at http://www.studenttabletpc.com) it might be a good idea for tablet makers to think about adding an flexible roll-out e-ink type sheet on the side of your tablet. This way, it's possible to have your digital textbook or other digital source (web page?) next to you for easy viewing, while working on the main screen.

Or did somebody already think of this? I know plenty of people work with 2 screens attached to a single pc, making this type of thing easy, but lugging a 19" flatpanel about might not exactly fall into the 'mobile-solutions' category.... ;)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Could this work?

2. kruuzer10

Or...hmm, euh... maybe a separate e-reader thingy on which you can load anything... :eek:
    I think some manufacturers are going in that general direction. Once the flexible screens are real, it would be a logical choice for a reader device.

So maybe not such a good idea then... oh, well. Better luck next time.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's fun to dream. I'd use the new Sony eBook reader with a Tablet, seems like a good combo.

4. kruuzer10

Yep, that sure is fun.

Is the Sony eBook reader out yet? Knowing Sony, it'll probably have some proprietary format requirements for anything to be loaded onto it. So no PDF downloading through a handy retractible USB cable built in...

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Sony Reader will be available this spring.

6. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use my tablet with a monitor on my desk. I just have that and a single usb hub that has all my usb devices. I don't like too many things attached to my computer. it ruins the whole mobility concept. here is one for you though. What if you had a dual screen convertible tablet. It would be like a convertible, but close like a book? it would be a lot better for reading like a book. and, it would basically be like two slates so it would weigh about 5lb total.

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I was just thinking of multitasking between two windows...yeah you have a smaller area to write...but it may be better than having to have two devices. Anyway that was my thought..because I want to go paperless or as much as I can when I start grad school this coming Fall. Could work if you get a high resolution screen. I hate having to look back and forth between two things... like my text and my laptop.

8. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well a higher resolution screen I found helps a little. what helps a lot though is the size of the screen. my 19in screen is only usefull for mulitple windows in that it is large and can have a few. larger resolution just means that everything else is small.

9. dunway

dunway Pen Pal - Newbie

At Hinsdale South High School the majority of our books are on the internet. I am so happ all I have to carry is my tablet pc and my folder. No more then 4 pounds.

10. kruuzer10

I currently use my 15.4" widescreen laptop at 1600x1050, giving me plenty of real-estate. I frequently have 2 documents open next to each other. And at home I hook up an 19" flatpanel, increasing the available space (making the 2 documents larger and much easier to read :) ). But it would be nice to be able to take the functionality of 2 screens with me to the university...

How about having the 'dual screen convertible tablet' idea poetdante mentioned, but with the option of having a real-life-size 'soft-keyboard' on one of the screens for input?