Interesting Comparison

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by krelvinaz, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

At work, now that there are a few different devices in hand, we are about to do a real comparison of the use of the iPad, Xoom and the HP Slate 500 for possible use within the company, primarly for remote business access for users that are constantly outside of the office.

We have been inundated with requests up to this point to get so and so app to work with such and such device.

The testing will be done with a large number of legacy apps used within the company using these devices remotely. The three devices were actually chosen by the people who want to use them, not by IT as to if they would work so it will be an interesting test.

We plan on publishing a pubic report the results of the tests when they are completed (no ETA yet). We just started to collect what apps are to be considered in the test which may take a bit by itself.

This is a push from users in the field that want to use these devices instead of a normal notebook for business support, access and usage.

I would have been reluctant, just a week or so ago to do this due to the issues I was having with using a 4G hotspot and the Slate, but with that fixed now. I am really interested in how this turns out. We will see just how usable in a business environment (not pleasure) these actually perform.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Okay! Where is my popcorn?

I am interested in your findings as I have been meeting with IT at my company now for 1-1/2 years to get something in the catalog. They have gotten many requests for iPads and IT really wants something more compatible with the existing IT security structure. They do not want a convertible since 'everyone' wants an iPad but "nothing is available to compete yet."

The last meeting we had I was told we would have to wait at least until Q2 2012 because nothing was coming out in the forseable future, then it would take a year to develop the software load, a year to pilot it, and then about a year to negotiate for the package. I told them to stuff it because by then we will be using voice recognition and gestures through MS Kinect to do our testing.

My take is they just said 'no.' Nothing like walking away from 20 to 30% efficiency improvement, eh?

3. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Please do keep us updated when you get some results. We're struggling with the same issues at the moment. Not a great deal of tablet push other than a couple whiz kids that want to use their Ipads for everything. We bought one to pass around and try things out on, then pretty much said, no, we're not going to support it. The microcomputer department has proposed tablets (convertibles and Motion C5's) on a couple occasions for in house use. Unfortunately our primary EMR application has very rigid screen formatting requirements and the application group won't certify them.

Other than a special application for the physical therapists wandering around in the gym and some inventory applications in the pharmacy, I think I'm still the only tableteer on campus.

Also everyone wants remote access, tablet or no. We don't "officially" support Apples at all, but so many of the doctors have been buying Macbooks and Airbooks and then pleading to us to make it work, that we're about ready to hang an Apple store sign on our office door. Remote access clients are a mixed bag when it comes to Apple products. SSL has been working out well for us overall except Apples aren't to keen on Java or Active-x. We're using a Nortel VPN appliance so the "app for that" doesn't work either. The Apani VPN client works. Also several are using Bootcamp or Parallels? or a VM program to run a Windows session and connect that way.

Guthrie Health and Medical care

4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I went through the process of trying to get the HP Slate approved for work. It really did well with wireless, running work/office application, remote desktop, connecting to conference projectors. Everything looked great, but it failed because it does not have the TPM Chip for Natvie BitLocker. Unfortunately, that was the deal breaker for my boss. The workaround of enabling through the group policy was not an adequate solution.

5. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

That is not a requirement for us. Our biggest concern is credit card data, but we now have completely separated all systems that handle that type of data with a completely different network. It is not possible to remotely access that data period. Even in office access is not possible via normal workstations.

6. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

My thing is, if sensitive data is not going to be on the Slate, what does it really matter if Native BitLocker is on there or not. Extra layers of security to log into the computer, to log into the VPN or SSL, and to remote desktop into a machine. Pretty secure in my mind... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.